1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

You're bookmarking my post because I'm saying Sengun, right now, shouldn't be compared to those 3, offensively? lolwut. I'll take the free rent inside your head, I guess.

You need to take off your rose-colored Sengun glasses and realize that not every single moderate to critical post of Alperen Sengun is an "I hate Sengun" post. It's really sad that even saying something like "let's not put him up against 2 MVPs and the best young player in the league," is so easily triggering for you.

Why bother trying to have a discussion with you, specifically, if all you want to talk about is all the positives? No point.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. fattz

fattz Member

He has been working with Dream in the off season. I see the footwork in some of his game, too. I think he is okay. The team needs direction more than his fundamentals need improvement.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No, the previous post. And once again, nobody "compared" him to Curry. I already explained that.

While you were posting, I was actually making a post about areas of improvement for Alpi.

4. conquistador#11

I laughed because we should try winning 30 games first. But a third option on a championship team is nothing to sneeze at. Bosh was awful defensively when his Raptors as a team sucked on that end 2005-ish . So I would sign up for that right now. But he is still so young.

CircaSurvive likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I actually feel more confident in Bari's and Sengun's development right now than anyone else on the team.

Like, unless we get Wemby or Scoot, I think in a season or two it'll be clear that our best two players will be Sengun and Bari. Why Bari? He's quietly improved his game. His weakness on offense (driving and finishing) is going away, he's starting to split defenders (almost every game now) and he's finishing with contact. He's going to get stronger and get more confident. His defensive potential is already the best on the team and if he starts knocking down his three it'll be game over. Actually, because of Wemby and Bari's defensive quickness I think you could play ALL three bigs at the same time. Jabari is definitely capable of being a wing on offense and defense and if Wemby can hit the three and stretch the floor you can still have Sengun work down low. I think we'd revolutionize the league with that lineup, three bigs, triple towers.

As for Green, I think he'll always be an important piece but right now he needs to humble himself. A lot of his issue is he takes shots that are far too difficult far too often. Needs to get to the line more, get easier shots, work off the ball more, etc.

Sengun right now should get the most focus. That should be clear to everyone.

Entropy, Easy, clutchdabear and 4 others like this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

And both seem to have the winning mentality, which is great.

clutchdabear, berkowsk and JayGoogle like this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Correct. Clear upward momentum for Sengun and Jabari yet they remain limited in their involvement. Clear regression from Jalen Green this season and no coaching to speak of to correct mistakes, and now Green is developing horrible habits with no accountability.

The Rockets are failing all three of our most important players in different ways. Scoot/Wemby would change things, but can't be counted on.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

9. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Anti-Sengun Rockets fans are all the same.
    "I love Sengun, but..."
    "He's my favorite Rocket right now, but..."
    "They should probably play through Sengun, but..."

We've all seen this story before. You are not Sengun fans and it's obvious. You guys keep hanging onto his defense even while we have no-effort defensive turnstiles in KPJ and Jalen Green and other folks on here who slobber over the likes of other young players like Banchero who play even worse defense than Alperen.

Alperen is 20 years old and has made the biggest leap of any player in his draft class so far. Who is to say that he won't improve at all on the defensive end or in terms of spreading the floor? Even with those supposed weaknesses of his, he still makes such a positive impact and is the only player on this Rockets team that other teams really have to gameplan for. With his work ethic and passion for the game, his bball IQ, and the fact that he is still growing and developing physically, I have no doubt in my mind he will be able to improve on all facets of his game in the coming years. He's a special player and I really truly hope this Rockets franchise is able to correctly identify him as a cornerstone of the team.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

congratulations. The dumb list welcomes you to the team of hatred

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

buddy if he becomes the franchise refs will automatically have to respect him more and hell be called for less foul... many of the fouls on him are often a bs calls so hes basically not even allowed to play defense because silas is disrespecting him...how we you ask from the refs to respect him when even his coach is nerfing him?

berkowsk likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

snakes! thank you brother bear in mind alpi has only played 6 full games in his nba career...

only 6 games...!! LET THAT SINK IN

hes still at the start of his rookie season he gonna be a beast on defense when hes got to play on a real team, gets defensive minded coaching, teammates and playing time

Ankara1923 and clutchdabear like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOOOOOL its too much thinking and work for pro tank minded people ... they all just want either wemby or players who fancy dribble, hit 3 pt at 50% clip like jalen green and KPJ LOLOLOL

Ankara1923 likes this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

only problem is that KPJ will return at some point . . . unless the Rockets unload him sooner

17. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

buddy...not just Alpee, many young prospects gotta work through those shitty calls, if we see it in a 'half full' prospective, at least it could force Alpee learning to communicate on-site with those MFers, got a chance to go along and get along.
    Only those trees which can go through and live with deadly strong 'headwind' could be the tall and strong ones.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The positive change in the team with KPJ's absence is palpable. No doubt about it.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree he can make shots from time to time but I never said he can’t make shots at all or in Boban territory. It’s similar to the Jabari Smith discussion. Smith isn’t a one on one take people off the dribble guy but he uses a dribble drive when he has the lane. But dribble drive isn’t a main aspect of Smith’s game and he’s not good at it. Sengun’s game isn’t shooting. He shoots when he is open sometimes or when time is running out but It never was his bread and butter. He has only shot 27 shots from beyond 24 ft, 7 shots 16-24 ft, and 18 shots 10-14 ft this year with low percentages. He has attempted 346 shots 8ft and less at 61%. As I said his game is low post, passing from high post, and attacking from the short roll or high post. Now it doesn’t mean either that he can’t improve his perimeter shot but to think he will dramatically change his game and be a shooter all of a sudden using post fadeaways and turnarounds or long mid range or 3 game is unrealistic in my opinion.

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

KPJ's return will really be interesting. maybe Sengun and kpj will take turns having 'minor injuries'.

AroundTheWorld likes this.