1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If I was Stone or Tillman I definitely make a coaching change first. I don’t necessarily have high confidence in either though and I wouldn’t be surprised if trades happen at the same time this summer.

However I think given who’s likely available, I would guess Jalen Green is more probable as the centerpiece in a trade to get a second veteran star to couple with a free agent.

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

I think everybody in that locker room knows Sengun is currently best player. They can admit it or not. They can think they can be better in the future, but rn he is the most impactful one

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it wasnt wrong you just lack vision, and higher bbiq... i dont even watch the games and I know better about all of this then you

btw alpi could have done all of this and even a lot more than this(!), in his first year already if they just let him play

no huge leap did he make that's causing this aside from getting more pt and getting it consistently... no more 6 minutes a night games or 4 x 3 minutes a night...

and he is still being thrown out of rhythm all the time by silas and the clueless selfish ballhoging and chucking teammates

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He certainly could end being our franchise player. He’s looked awesome.

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

oh no its definitely eric gordon
    @HP3 @Easy @napalm and a lot of other funny, past worhipping, 3 pt culting, characters have told me that

something something about what contender could use his services the most

Ankara1923 likes this.
  6. dobro1229

Im just saying that from a GM’s perspective what you are saying is what they’ll be contemplating with roster makeup and style of play that complements their best perimeter players.

I do think he is a tricky modern nba player because of exactly what you said. If Jokić was the size and was the athlete that Sengun is, it could very well be the same story. Sabonis if he was less athletic also might be in the same situation. The way you can overcome that is by being a good 3 point threat but I worry about changing his shot completely at this phase too.

At this point I don’t really think there’s anything to lose and he’s clearly the best player so for the rest of the season Silas would be stupid to not play through his most of the game. However I just doubt any GM right now sees him as a cornerstone to build around unless he has a crazy productive couple of offseasons where he changes his body or shooting.

Stephen_A likes this.
  7. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

We have saying" korler sagirlar birbirini agirlar" this is the exact thing happening in here clutchfans .rockets is worst team around league for 3 years and its fan base doesn't even understand this ,rebuilding is going downwards and the only thing you got from the previous drafts is sengun. And you put all your eggs to a nutcase 30th draftpick.

hakeem94, clutchdabear and Ankara1923 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude, I don't even trust them to keep Sengün over the next 5 years.

People who talk about his deficiencies this is just a redundant topic if he walks.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Sure, Jokic's defense @ age 20 wasn't good. But even now, because Jokic's offensive game is so good, no one is talking about his defensive shortcomings when compared to Embiid and Giannis, as it pertains to the MVP conversation.

Assuming Sengun's defense doesn't really improve year to year, his offense has to rise to the level of MVP Jokic to have people somewhat disregard his defense. That's just how it is.

Not sure why you're bringing Doncic into this, as Doncic doesn't play in the post and he's quicker than Sengun. If Sengun doesn't improve on defense, players and coaches WILL hunt Sengun on mismatches. I don't follow Mavericks basketball, but I don't think Luka gets hunted.

10. AggieRocketFan96

Funny how even casual fans for over a year can see this (Sengun as team’s best player) but the head coach cannot. Did Fertita get rid of all the analytics personnel? Because it would have been glaringly obvious in that lens as it has been to the naked eye. The suppression of Sengun, while most egregious, isn’t the only omission due to incompetence.

The lack of development for Jalen, the overplaying of EG, decision to even keep Nix let alone play 25+ min per game, the rotations, in-game coaching or lack thereof, the dog-housing of JC and now Bruno, I mean when you aggregate everything, it points to gross incompetence that should warrant accountability and immediate change.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The next head coach won’t have time to hate on Sengun when he’s trying to win games. The consistency is obvious.

12. dobro1229

5 years?? It’s the nba we are talking about. I wouldn’t be surprised if not one player from this roster is on this team in 5 years.

A lot of people have convinced themselves that Sengun is the next Hakeem. Listening to the Rocketscast last night honestly was a bit cringe at moments. I like both guys and realize they are just shooting the breeze but I did cringe quite a few times listening to the illusions of grandeur.

It’s true Sengun is our best option currently offensively. Those guys are right about that. Thinking he’s likely to be a cornerstone we build around is getting a bit ahead of yourself. I don’t think Stone would lose a minute of sleep trading him right now if he thought it would help him gain relevance faster.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I think (given the free agents this summer) Jalen Green might be more available than we think, but wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Sengun also gets discussed in a trade as soon as June. Jabari I think would be jaw dropping but it’s happened before (see Cavs and Wiggins etc.).

I just think people need to realize that this is a rebuild and nobody yet has established themselves as a safe cornerstone generational talent like OKC had with Durant or the bucks found with Giannis, etc etc.

Everyone is available at this point and if one star player wants to sign this summer… guess what.. everyone will be dangled in trades for a second star.

13. dobro1229

Regardless of my previous posts here, I’ll second this statement that if I was Stone I dump Silas before doing anything with this roster. He has been horrible this year. Last night there in the third quarter there were like 8 teachable moments where a timeout should have been called to… you know… coach the players on the obvious mistakes they were making but he just let the Lakers go off and the players to figure it out.

Rotations aside, this is a young team that more than anything needs to be freaking coached. Silas treats them like they are the Kobe/Pau Lakers. It’s insane and if you can’t do that at the very least you aren’t the right guy for the job. I’d fire him for that last night alone.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Steph Curry gets hunted. Doesn't matter.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nope. Sengun would only get dangled if Fertitta and Stone have a lobotomy in the meantime.

clutchdabear and cml750 like this.
  16. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Jokic and Sengun are both listed at 6’11”…
    https://www.nba.com/player/203999/nikola-jokic
    https://www.nba.com/player/1630578/alperen-sengun

Breaking: 20 year old grows taller - full story in link below
    https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...eight-weight-measurements-for-2022-23-roster/

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

cmoak1982, clutchdabear and cml750 like this.
  19. cml750

cml750 Member

People get too caught up in "measurables" when the one thing Sengun has the most of is BBIQ which is not measurable.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's what they cling to to justify their anti-Sengun bias (whatever the cause of that is).