1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

In fairness, most of these guys CAN'T put together a good staff and that's usually the biggest problem. I harp on this every coaching search. Most of these guys hire people they like and those aren't great coaches.

So just realistically speaking, if they all hire their buddies, it's important to zero in on ones with good buddies.

Rudyc281, Two Sandwiches and Major like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Quoting myself, I know it's taboo...

This is something that stung TF out of OBrien. His coaching staff was full of terrible hires. I mean TERRIBLE guys who could NOT coach, but they were his guys. Guys you'd go to war with. Guys you could count on to run practice right. Guys you could be proud to know gdamnit! Who cares that the OLine coach couldn't coach? That guy was great sun of a b****!

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. whag00

whag00 Member

So I doubt it’s a 1st round pick.

Rudyc281 and gucci888 like this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Yup. People are freaking about giving up the #12 pick when the Saints can't force that type of compensation. The Broncos can't offer anything near that anytime soon and the Cards can't until 2024 (they're not giving up #3).

whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

So...does this mean those three teams have already agreed to meet the Saints demands?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Is Denver and Arizona really a better football situation than Houston? I don’t see it but maybe I’m being bias.

8. Rockets34Legend

9. Rockets34Legend

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

11. Nick

Nick Member

It can be conditional. Also, is there a rule that says it has to be this year's first round pick?

Judging from the compensation achieved by other SB winning coaches, a first round pick does seem pretty standard.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

LOL I wonder if Caserio was talking about DeMeco (and Aaron Wilson)

“There will always be a lot of information, always news flow and perspectives shared and we have to be careful not to get caught up in it. What someone is actually saying vs reality are two different things. Some of my conversations with agents and reps about candidates who are perceived not interested in the job couldn’t be further from the truth. When you actually talk to their rep about how excited they are to potentially interview, this is something they’re encouraged by, they look forward to. What you’re hearing is different than what people are really saying.”

13. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Don't think it has to be this year so I think people are unnecessarily freaking out about needing to give up the #12 this year. If the Saints are dead set on getting a 1st round pick, they'll have to wait until 2024 to get one from the Cards and Broncos.

Edit: Broncos have their 2024 1st round pick.

#3053 gucci888, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Member

They are not. But Cal and Caserio have a bit of black cloud looming over them.

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Broncos have their 2024 first round pick

Rudyc281 and gucci888 like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pat with love for Texans fans.

“Big city, loyal fan base. They would go crazy if they won down there.”
    “They’re loud. Houston fans,…loudest stadium I’ve ever played in.”
    “Their fans are ****ing awesome down there. They are loud. They seemingly know football too.”

Rudyc281 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Member

Houstonians know football so well... they know exactly when to not watch it!

This also exemplifies just how crappy the Jacksonville and Nashville markets are...

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

For most of the guys interviewing...legit candidates, not bums that only we would hire...opportunities do come along multiple times. We are interviewing guys we interviewed last year. Payton quit and can go coach again anytime he wants. Surely you aren't suggesting that potential coaches won't wait for the right job/tam to come along?

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Do those teams have an idiotic owner?

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

That's not my point here. If you have been reading my posts you'd know that I don't buy into "the Texans are racist" angle at all. Personally, I don't believe they are that smart nor cunning. What I (and others here) have pointed out is that these buffoons made it an issue with their actions over the past two years. This is like dressing up in a KKK costume for Halloween and then having to explain why you aren't a racist. Had you not worn that costume, no one would be questioning your beliefs.

By using two Black coaches as cannon fodder to shield Nick, Jack and Cal from responsibility for this mess, they opened the organization to charges of racism. It looked especially bad last year when they were hell bent on hiring a white guy with NO coaching experience right after they dismissed Culley after only one year. They only turned to Lovie because that plan blew up in their face due to the Flores lawsuit. Now, had they hired McCown, they would have proven the assertions in Flores' lawsuit (don't believe the league would have been happy with that). It was their actions and not national media bias that is responsible for this story. This is all on Nick and Cal hence the PR offensive you are now seeing from the Texans and their allies in the media.