1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 6 years, $200 million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 10, 2023.

1. CinematicFusion

Below my comment I said, "I know you will be rooting for that to be true as a Astros fan."

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

But how many World Series did he win ;)

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Yordan The Great

Josh James was NEVER anything except a struggling relief pitcher trying to stick in the majors.

Thank God we finally stopped wasting our time with him.

4. Yordan The Great

Calm down, Jesus.

You're becoming insufferable.

HatsForBats likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

Correa is getting paid. And he will likely still get paid a decent amount to close out the career post contract. The real regret is that he is not likely going to tap into a HOF career in Minnesota without the noise he usually makes and would get in New York. But if he can turn them around that does give him a push.

The Mets lose the day. But obviously, they have money to spend next year... as the pitchers age. They are on a teeter totter though.

Correa getting to play SS is a good thing, just the wrong place.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'd definitely take the over on whether he performs as well as last season, even though it's his sophomore year and he's facing the "sophomore slump."

I've said it before, I believe he's progressing through the adjustments at an accelerated pace by working through the rookie wall and the "sophomore slump" in his first season. By the post season he was humming. But I absolutely know I could be wrong.

I don't know if he's better than Correa yet, probably not, but I certainly like his value and the trends.

2021 Pena 23 MiLB, Correa 26 7.2 (2.9)
    2022 Pena 24 4.8 (2.5), Correa 27 5.4 (1.1)

I believe there is a very good chance Correa will never duplicate his 2021 season with the Astros, but Pena will almost certainly duplicate and exceed his 2022 season with the Astros.

But forecasting futures for MLB players is far more art than science. I would never have expected the outstanding season by Altuve in 2022 after looking like he was settling into 3-5 oWAR seasons.

7. CinematicFusion

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He got mother****ed by @Snake Diggit and a bunch of other guys just last week. He’s a mouth breather. Which is fine, if it weren’t for the fact that he posts so damn much and so damn often about **** he’s clearly clearly clearly wrong about. And not just wrong but stupid. Aggressively stupid. Agressively stupid with a dash of condescending mixed in. 102 IQ guy who thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room at the Mensa convention.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Great offer for the Astros if the intention was to trick the dumbest of our fan base into thinking they made a fair offer while having 100 percent certainty he wasn’t going to sign because they wanted to move on. Congrats for being a dupe I guess. again, none of this is litigating whether the Astros made a good or bad decision- it worked out beyond their wildest expectations. It’s litigating whether or not they have correa a **** offer offer at the time which they absolutely positively without a doubt did.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Calmer than you are dude.

RunninRaven likes this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Showing me the love because I disagree with you. No problem. I love discussion among those with different ideas.

12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

1) You know that the post you responded to was quoting YOU, right? Thankfully, your response to the criticism of yourself was perfectly appropriate and accurate.

2) The fact that the other guy thought it applied to him was also perfectly appropriate and accurate.

HatsForBats, cbass and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. CinematicFusion

Everyone has an opinion and you have clearly stated yours.
    The Houston Astros and all of us fans wish Carlos Correa the best in Minnesota.

How much do you think Peña will improve this year?
    Sophomore slump or did Peña discover something removing his leg kick?
    Exciting times for fans of the Houston Astros.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When did he say he was already a better player?

You might need to go back and read his post.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Josh James has had flashes of dominance, I never understood why people were so down on him.

And the only reason we stopped wasting time is because he is hurt. I remember when Abreu was getting the same treatment by some.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If you think the Astros' offer to Correa was reasonable you simply don't understand.

He was neck and neck with Corey Seager at the time of the offer. He got 10yrs / $325M.

You can argue all you want whether the Astris or Correa ended up "winning" that deal based on his results when it was completed, but there is no way at the time that the Astros offer was fair compared to the offers other SSs were getting.

The value of a Long term deal to a player is that it includes seasons after his prime where he could not command as high a salary.

Correa's deal with Min caps out at 10/ $270M if he hits the PA goals or they pick them up. That's $27M per season.

If not then he gets $33.33M per year for ages 28-33 seasons after playing for $35.1M as a 27 yr old. And that's the "I'll have to settle" offer.

The Astros 5/$160M offer is $32M per year for ages 27-32.

The bottom line is the Astros were only wanting age 27-32 seasons at a lower per year salary than he ended up having to "settle for" at ages 28-33.

The offer was in no way competitive and could be considered insulting at the time.

17. CinematicFusion

I understand it was a great offer. You have your opinion.
    We all wish Carlos Correa the best in Minnesota.
    What’s more interesting is if Peña removing his leg kick takes him to another level next year. It worked wonders in the playoffs.
    Exciting times to be an Astro fan. 2023 should be an incredible year.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You are right. We can all have opinions and you are allowed yours. All the best.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  19. the shark

the shark Member

Who cares what Seager was offered. Stros had Correa's medicals and there's no way they were willing to offer him anything over five yrs. So one yr later SF passed on a 10+ yr contract after giving him a physical, the Mets passed on a 10+ yr contract as well after the physical so what does he wind up getting? A six yr deal with MINN compared to the 5 yr deal HOU gave him. Seems to me the Stros knew EXACTLY what they were doing. They were willing to offer him 32.5 mil for 5 yrs and there's people on here that are trying to spin it like it was insult of a deal??

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Taking the fact that the Astros had a more than adequate replacement on hand into consideration, their offer to Correa was extremely generous. The Astros offer had nothing to do with any offers made to any other players. It was a kindness. A recognition of the relationship that existed between them. It was an opportunity to stay with the team if he chose to take it. Even though he was no longer needed. To call that an insult shows a complete lack of understanding of the situation.

HatsForBats and CinematicFusion like this.