1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 International Signing Period

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 1, 2022.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The IFA period starting on January 15 has been a thing for a couple of years now but I'm still trying to process that.

Anyways, this was already posted in the Minor League thread, but it's gonna get washed away pretty quickly in there. The first member of the 2023 Astros IFA class has been revealed.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Ya'll got any more of them cubans...

[​IMG]

3. Buck Turgidson

Yuli and Maldy are in charge of recruiting

4. Nook

Nook Member

Menes doesn’t have very much international experience and it may take him some time because he hasn’t pitched a lot.

Considered a cusp top 20 guy in the international draft. Good arm, probably will end up as a reliever.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Latin Prospects are Astros Fans these days.

It definitely shows Cubans watch Yuli Gurriel and Yordan Alvarez.

15 Teams and he chooses the Astros.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Well he isn’t stupid. He and his handlers can see that the Astros player development program is the best in baseball. The Dodgers and Rays and Cardinals are good but the Astros are a cut above.

7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Astros Rotation Framber Valdez, Luis Garcia, Jose Urquidy, Christian Javier

Prospect Alex Santos is on way

Young Latin Pitchers look up them

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Posted in minor league thread, but reposting here since the new IFA period begins this Sunday.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So far it looks like Houston’s expected to sign at least 3 1st tier prospects and 1 2nd tier prospect:

SS Camilo Diaz $2.5M
    OF Emil Valencia $1M
    SS German Ramirez $1.2M
    P Ruben Menes $700k

Astros only have $5.28M to spend in their pool so those numbers don’t exactly add up but those 4 guys will represent the bulk of the class if they are all signed.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Ruben Menes is the one I am excited about.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I absolutely want Gurriel in a Front Office role. And Maldy next year as well, but perhaps in a coaching role. I could easily see him as the next Manager who is a Former Astros Catcher.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I assume there is some minimum age limit or we'd be stalking Angel Montas, the 11 year old.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Just based on the few videos and reports I have seen, I’m excited about Emil Valencia. He can hit. He will probably be limited defensively but if his power hits it’s ceiling he looks like he could be a star level hitter. Ramirez looks like a pretty typical MIF intl signee and Diaz looks like he will end up at 3B albeit a high ceiling player there.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Round-up error? $2.46, $0.96M, $1.16M and $0.70M = $5.28M ???

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Astros really make Dreams come True, Bad Situation Money Wise for these Innocent Teen and Help Them Financially get a Job and Create a Long Career for them.

Astros have everything ready in the Minor Leagues, Top Facilities, Gym, Nutritionist, Trainers, Coaches, Psychologist, etc. List goes on.

Jim Crane and former George Postolos (now with the Utah Jazz, Surprise Team) hired Jeff Luhnow, now with New Analytics Group Created a Dynasty

raining threes and Nook like this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Any News on SS Benitez?

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I love seeing the international signings, but I've also learned to not get overly excited. The guys that have had success with Houston haven't received big bonuses. Hopefully we'll start seeing some of these guys pan out (Leon is the closest right now).

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yep, it's the guys that come out of nowhere from a prospect standpoint that we eat everyone's lunch on.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Very high upside for Valencia, fast bat and will end up hitting for power. Have to be patient with him though because his swing is a mess. I have never seen him play, but Goldstein said he is all bat but really can get around on balls.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He does look a little weird with kind of a hitch at his load and dropping down a bit at impact that would seem to cause some swing and miss against real pitching.