1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ryan Clark: “If I’m them, I’m having someone ghost text Schefty “Hey, we might be willing to take a QB.” It don’t matter who it is. Just have Schefty put it out in the atmosphere.

Orlovsky: Bryce Young is special. I think Bryce Young is Steph Curry on a football field. How slow the game is for him. 2-3 seasons ago, the last game, the Jets won a meaningless game and dropped to #2. Jacksonville got Trevor and Zach Wilson went 2. This is going to have tremendous impacts on organizations with Chicago and/or Houston. If you’re Chicago and thinking about teams that have to come up to you, 2 years ago, the 49ers moved up to get Trey Lance at 3. It cost them 3 first round picks. If you’re Chicago, that’s the starting point if you want Young or Stroud.

Ryan Clark: Isn’t that the question? Bryce Young or CJ Stroud? … If someone is absolutely blown away by Bryce Young the way I’ve been since he touched a football last year against Miami to start the season, you do give the Bears what you need to give them if you think he’s transcendent.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The thing no one remembers about Steph is that he was perpetually injured and the Warriors had to decide to between keeping him or Monta Ellis and luckily they chose Ellis. Bryce's size and weight are legit question marks

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I sure hope we have better luck with our choices of first round picks this year. I heard McLain say today that Green was the only 2022 first round pick with a D- for the season. Hopefully new coaches can help him excel at his skills.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

PFF hated almost our entire draft. Nick made some very questionable selections. I hope Green becomes what we all hope. When he was selected most of us went WTF?!

https://www.battleredblog.com/2023/1/6/23542057/grading-caserios-2022-draft-class-it-isnt-pretty

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I completely agree.. watching what Kelce does even after Hill left, and what Gronk did.. I definitely think an elite TE is more important.. but after watching Hockenson kinda fail, is Mayer or any of them better? I admit I don’t follow TEs as much, but Hockenson was talked about all draft and went top 10.. just want to make sure these guys aren’t the same.

Rudyc281 and orosiriley like this.
  10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How the hell did Pitre rate toward the bottom?

11. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I wouldn’t rely on PFF ratings for gauging player performance. It can be every useful at times but also incredibly inaccurate other times.

Harris showed lots of promise. Green had a lot of downs but some ups as well. Pitre showed ton of potential to be the future leader of the secondary. Stingley showed promise in a system that is quite literally the opposite of what he thrives in. This rookie class should be just fine. Especially when you factor in Pierce’s value he provides as a 4th round pick.

red5rocket, Rudyc281, Caesar and 7 others like this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Because the ratings are bunk.

Coaching let a lot of these guys down as well. Mainly Stingley and Green.

mikol13, Fulgore and STR8Thugg like this.
  13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah that was a huge lol.

the 2022 class will be fine. a lot of solid players after the first round, and stingley will be just fine when he's used correctly

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Nick C on 610 now.

Mentioned accuracy and processing as more important than size and arm strength for a QB.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

He missed a lot of tackles. Casserio just said on 610 he led the league in missed tackles.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/...-to-learn-from-it-and-improve-for-the-future/

Rudyc281, Fulgore and gucci888 like this.
  16. showa13

showa13 Member

Never take an Ohio St QB. Always take the Ohio St lineman, there’s a high success rate there.

CoughBRYCEYOUNGcough

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Bad poker player lol

Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Caserio:

(With the way the league enforcing late hits on QBs or the driving of QBs into the ground, is there a shift in perception about size dynamics with QBs? Can a 195lb QB make it in the league?) It’s so hard. If I’m a defensive player, the notion of body weight on the QB…it’s very subjective. They’re trying to protect the QB. Forget about anything else, can the player do the job? Specifically to the QB, what are you doing offensively, what are things you think are important, how are you gonna play? There’s big, fast players on defense. There’s more speed, power, explosiveness on that side of the ball. Doesn’t matter how big or small you are. I played QB. I was no good. I was 175lbs but I wasn’t running into 300lbs like you. Good football players are good football players. How you’ll use them depends on how your staff is put together, what your team is looking for. That’ll ultimately be the determining factor.

(What do you prioritize in a QB?) I have my opinions on that but what do you feel is important from a staff standpoint as well? How I view the QB position: decision making, ability to play under duress, accuracy, timing and anticipation. Those are things when you look at that position are important. Over the last 2-3 years, trends in the league, they’re more athletic, more mobile, able to do more outside the pocket, even within the pocket, the whole RPO element. When you get right down to it: how do they execute in most critical situations? 3rd down, red area, 2-minute. Ultimately, you have to be able to throw effectively in those situations with accuracy, make good decisions and be able anticipate what the other team will do. Those are 5-6 elements. Then you can get into size, strength, speed, arm strength. There’s so many things that go into playing QB. We could spend 3 shows on that position alone.

(How much does the agent matter in this? (David Mulugheta) Is that a factor?) Philosophically, my belief has always been maintain a consistent relationship with agents and reps. There’s gonna be players each years and you don’t allow one situation to affect future decisions. It’s not a good way to do business. I have a lot of respect for David. David has a lot of good players. You can’t make decisions based off that. You have to look at the player. You have to evaluate the player. Are you comfortable with the player when the player comes in the building? At some point, you’re going to have dialogue with the representative. Draft is different. Contracts are slotted. My philosophy has always been never let one situation impact future situations. It’s the right way to do business. It won’t dissuade us from looking at a player. It’s not fair to that player based on some other perceived factor. I’ve had dialogue with David. We had dialogue last year in free agency about players. David has multiple players we were talking about during trade negotiations. I have a lot of respect for David and the job he does. He has really good players. Our responsibility is to look at everything and not let an individual dissuade you from making a decision. I never approached business that way. I’m not gonna approach business that way.

(There is a part of Drew Brees evaluation that has always been fascinating. If you looked at that same guy, if that same prospect came out right now and he looked exactly like Brees did coming out of college, I don’t know you draft him in the Top 10. So many things he did so well like timing/anticipation, all that, is hard to project. Is that a fair assessment?) Let’s talk about college football. There’s been an evolution in the college game. When Drew came out, 2000ish, what they were doing offensively, no one else was doing it in college football. It was empty. He got drafted in the 2nd, went to San Diego, didn’t work out, ended up in New Orleans. What we have to do when we evaluate players, regardless of position, we can only go off what we see in college. That’s their resume. Look at what they’re doing schematically. Look at what they’re doing offensively or defensively. There’s a good chance when you draft that player, they’ll be doing something different. Don’t necessarily get caught up in the system. Look at the player. Look at their makeup. Look at their football traits and characteristics. Look at physical qualities they possess. Then what are you going to ask that player to do? How are you going to coach him? What’s your offensive or defensive system they’re going into? Those are the things that go into it. The reality is it’s not gonna happen overnight. Whether it’s a veteran player going to a new team, maybe that transition takes longer, or rookie player on a new team, we all know what rookies have to go through and hill they have to climb. When that player walks in your building, they’re starting over on every level. You’re gonna build them from the ground up. You’re gonna introduce them to your program, the things you’re doing and believe in. And then how you play offensively or defensively, that will take time to implement and develop and how quickly they adjust and put themselves in position to perform at a high level ultimately willbe based on the player and his progression.

Omihall23, mikol13, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  20. SuraGotMadHops

Man I am still seething about Lovie going balls out in the final game. You know how much more fun this whole process would be if there wasn't constant worry on what the Bears are going to do with that first pick? Two division foes need QBs and could steal who we want from right in front of us. You get the first pick nobody can do s*** to trade up or mess up your plans. This meaningless win could set the Texans even further back by a decade.

raining threes likes this.