1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

2. Mattician

Mattician Member

That's why drafting a WR or TE with the Cleveland pick is going to seem like an ever better route if the Texans do draft a QB with the #2 pick.

ROCKSS, houston19519 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

??

J.R. likes this.
  5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

White smoke coming from the Vatican means that a new pope has been chosen.
    So, TexansCap is implying that a head coach has been selected.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hope so

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Are the Texans coaching the senior bowl??

Fulgore likes this.
  8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Conclave was the last thing that came to mind with that picture. I was thinking tire fire or exorcism

gucci888 likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

Well they can't do virtual interviews with coaches under contract until tomorrow, so if it's done this early it's gotta be either Payton or Harbaugh. I find that hard to believe

STR8Thugg likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

the texanscap crypic **** is really pissing me off

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Today/this morning

Rudyc281 and mikol13 like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

No lie I kinda like the cryptic stuff! We all get worked up and think of the most fantastic ideas of what it could be and then the team comes out and says they are adding horseradish to the condiment bar for next season! :D:D

14. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Maybe the reason for the conflicting “smoke” tweets?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Cal trying to bbq for the fans again maybe?

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Caserio (not all of it):

(Is this job viewed differently from last couple years?) …Conversations I’ve had externally and internally with different folks and different people, there’s certainly a level of interest in our situation. It’s a credit to the city. People realize it’s a great sports town. There’s an opportunity in front of us. We’re excited about the opportunity in front of us. There will always be a lot of information, always news flow and perspectives shared and we have to be careful not to get caught up in it. What someone is actually saying vs reality are two different things. Some of my conversations with agents and reps about candidates who are perceived not interested in the job couldn’t be further from the truth. When you actually talk to their rep about how excited they are to potentially interview, this is something they’re encouraged by, they look forward to. What you’re hearing is different than what people are really saying. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to their opinion. We have to stay true to our core, stay true to our process.

“The reality is, probably gonna be hard to get to a result for at least 2-3 weeks if we’re being honest.”

(At the press conference, you made multiple references to candidates possibly not wanting you in the position you’re in. I’ve never heard a GM say that. Do you anticipate interviewing candidates where they feel that way?) The point I was trying to make was I’m accountable for the process. I enjoy my job. I love my job. I love being here. We have a lot of work in front of us. Never been afraid to put in the work. The point I was trying to make was I’m accountable. I haven’t done a good enough job. We’ll look for ways to improve and move this situation forward. I’ll take responsibility. In the end, the decision that we make will be what’s best for the Texans, not what’s best for Nick Caserio. I want to be a part of this. I think I can help the organization. I think I can be a resource for whomever the head coach is. The overarching theme was accountability and trying to express that. I probably did a poor job.

(Laremy Tunsil been pretty public about his desire for an extension. Is he a priority?) He has? I haven’t noticed. We had a good discussion the other day. The contractual things will take part in due time. I was honest with LT. I don’t think he meant any harm. Anything we do, we’ll try to keep private. Laremy made his intentions known. He had a great season. What does that mean moving forward? We’ll look at all things. He wants to be here and part of what we’re doing. How that manifests itself in the actual contract and how we move forward, we’ll have those discussions at the appropriate time. Whoever the HC is, he’ll have a chance to look at our team, go through the roster, discussion about the salary cap space and how we want to allocate resources. Have a lot of respect for Laremy. Played really well, good player. As we move forward, we’ll see about his future as a Texan. We’ll have good dialogue as we move forward.

(Brandin Cooks trade?) Each situation and player we have to treat individually. Not specific to Brandin, we were all frustrated. You try to have honest dialogue and discussions. I have a lot of respect and admiration for Brandin personally and professionally. We’ve had good conversations. Similar to Laremy in some respects, we’ll look at everything and do what we feel is in the best interest of the Texans. … We’ll deal with everything one day at a time relative to individual situation but our responsibility is to look at everything and ultimately do what’s in the best interest of the Texans and everyone involved.

(Thoughts on how Derek Stingley was used when healthy?) Whatever we’re doing schematically and however we want to deploy our players will be up to the coaches. The overarching theme regardless of offense/defense/special teams, are we utilizing his strengths? Are we putting the players in the best position to utilize the skills they possess? Sting was great to work with. Had a great attitude. We knew what we were dealing with when we drafted him. He worked really hard. Fact he was ready Week 1 was a credit to him and the staff. What happened there, it was the last play of practice vs Washington. Stepped wrong, tweaked his hamstring, ended up getting sick. He was frustrated and upset by the end but saw him running around the other day. Looked fast, explosive, athletic. Derek is a good player. Great demeanor. Great mindset. Smart. Understands football. Our job as a staff is to put our players in the best position possible on a week to week basis so they can perform their job at a high level. Excited about the offseason with Sting. Sting is a good player. Everyone gets caught up in this guy did this, this guy did that. We’re excited about the offseason for Sting. Sting did a great job with what he was asked to do, how he approached his business.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

(With the way the league enforcing late hits on QBs or the driving of QBs into the ground, is there a shift in perception about size dynamics with QBs? Can a 195lb QB make it in the league?) It’s so hard. If I’m a defensive player, the notion of body weight on the QB…it’s very subjective. They’re trying to protect the QB. Forget about anything else, can the player do the job? Specifically to the QB, what are you doing offensively, what are things you think are important, how are you gonna play? There’s big, fast players on defense. There’s more speed, power, explosiveness on that side of the ball. Doesn’t matter how big or small you are. I played QB. I was no good. I was 175lbs but I wasn’t running into 300lbs like you. Good football players are good football players. How you’ll use them depends on how your staff is put together, what your team is looking for. That’ll ultimately be the determining factor.

(What do you prioritize in a QB?) I have my opinions on that but what do you feel is important from a staff standpoint as well? How I view the QB position: decision making, ability to play under duress, accuracy, timing and anticipation. Those are things when you look at that position are important. Over the last 2-3 years, trends in the league, they’re more athletic, more mobile, able to do more outside the pocket, even within the pocket, the whole RPO element. When you get right down to it: how do they execute in most critical situations? 3rd down, red area, 2-minute. Ultimately, you have to be able to throw effectively in those situations with accuracy, make good decisions and be able anticipate what the other team will do. Those are 5-6 elements. Then you can get into size, strength, speed, arm strength. There’s so many things that go into playing QB. We could spend 3 shows on that position alone.

(How much does the agent matter in this? (David Mulugheta) Is that a factor?) Philosophically, my belief has always been maintain a consistent relationship with agents and reps. There’s gonna be players each years and you don’t allow one situation to affect future decisions. It’s not a good way to do business. I have a lot of respect for David. David has a lot of good players. You can’t make decisions based off that. You have to look at the player. You have to evaluate the player. Are you comfortable with the player when the player comes in the building? At some point, you’re going to have dialogue with the representative. Draft is different. Contracts are slotted. My philosophy has always been never let one situation impact future situations. It’s the right way to do business. It won’t dissuade us from looking at a player. It’s not fair to that player based on some other perceived factor. I’ve had dialogue with David. We had dialogue last year in free agency about players. David has multiple players we were talking about during trade negotiations. I have a lot of respect for David and the job he does. He has really good players. Our responsibility is to look at everything and not let an individual dissuade you from making a decision. I never approached business that way. I’m not gonna approach business that way.

(There is a part of Drew Brees evaluation that has always been fascinating. If you looked at that same guy, if that same prospect came out right now and he looked exactly like Brees did coming out of college, I don’t know you draft him in the Top 10. So many things he did so well like timing/anticipation, all that, is hard to project. Is that a fair assessment?) Let’s talk about college football. There’s been an evolution in the college game. When Drew came out, 2000ish, what they were doing offensively, no one else was doing it in college football. It was empty. He got drafted in the 2nd, went to San Diego, didn’t work out, ended up in New Orleans. What we have to do when we evaluate players, regardless of position, we can only go off what we see in college. That’s their resume. Look at what they’re doing schematically. Look at what they’re doing offensively or defensively. There’s a good chance when you draft that player, they’ll be doing something different. Don’t necessarily get caught up in the system. Look at the player. Look at their makeup. Look at their football traits and characteristics. Look at physical qualities they possess. Then what are you going to ask that player to do? How are you going to coach him? What’s your offensive or defensive system they’re going into? Those are the things that go into it. The reality is it’s not gonna happen overnight. Whether it’s a veteran player going to a new team, maybe that transition takes longer, or rookie player on a new team, we all know what rookies have to go through and hill they have to climb. When that player walks in your building, they’re starting over on every level. You’re gonna build them from the ground up. You’re gonna introduce them to your program, the things you’re doing and believe in. And then how you play offensively or defensively, that will take time to implement and develop and how quickly they adjust and put themselves in position to perform at a high level ultimately will be based on the player and his progression.

(Kenyon Green) The transition from rookies to 2nd year, that offseason, it starts in April but really in February/March. What they do in that period of time is critical. You can make a lot of gains, advances in a short period of time. The reality is Kenyon had an up and down season. Got off to a slow start in training camp, was in and out, then in, played decent for a little bit, middle of the year went through some struggles and faced some good players, baptism by fire, saw what the NFL is about. Kenyon has a lot of pride, is very competitive, very tough. He learned a lot and eyes were opened up to “I have a chance to be a good player but I have to do more and be able to make adjustments quicker.” Offseason training, strength development, looking at his weight, anything he can do to improve he’ll do. To his credit, everything he went through, he probably played his best game the other day against the Colts. Credit to him and Coach Warhop and Coach Hunter. I saw him the day after and he was actually encouraged. I said to him “You played one of your best games yesterday.” I think he appreciated that but his eyes were opened to “OK, I can play at a good level, I know I’m not consistent, I have a lot of work in front of me but I can’t wait to get excited” was the overarching theme he expressed. It’s not easy to play in this league. It’s not easy for young players. Everyone’s curve is different. I think he’s committed to having a good offseason. We kinda met with all of our rookies. Players need to get away from football. It’s taxing mentally and physically. They need time to decompress to get away and start your process. The offseason doesn’t start in April. It starts with doing something in February/March on your own. It’s not required. I don’t want to get fined here. Being committed to being a good pro ultimately is the most important thing. I think Kenyon along with some of our other rookies are committed to doing that. They’ve proven they can play in this league. Pitre was top 10 in tackles but led the league in missed tackles. There’s things he can do to improve. He knows that. As long as you care about your job, take pride about what you’re doing, have the right mindset and mentality, you’re gonna get better as a player if you’re committed to getting better as a player.

(John Metchie’s offseason?) There’s a Chance he’ll be ready for start of the offseason program. Still some things he has to complete or go through. It’s amazing what he’s done to this point. Not to get into my workout routines but on Fridays, I went in there in the afternoon and I go through my workout and John was there every Friday going through his workout. He looks better now than when we drafted him. Improved his lower body strength. Great attitude. This kid is incredible. He’s a special kid. Does that mean he’ll go out and catch 100 passes? No. It’s been amazing to watch I his progression from when we brought him in, what he went through over the summer, over the fall and speaks to him as a person. He’ll probably have some modifications. I don’t know exactly what that looks like. Assuming everything goes OK, he’ll have an opportunity to participate fully assuming everything gets cleared.

whag00, mikol13 and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Also need to fulfill Rooney Rule I believe. Flores maybe?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Qan

Qan Member

Why will they need to interview Flores unless they want him as potential coach? They're going to interview DeMeco and Ejiro..and I'm sure they'll interview more coaches as time goes.

They don't need to force themselves to fulfill that rule...it'll naturally be done.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes... with Pep Hamilton being offered and taking the job. But only if he's willing to accept Matt Patricia as his offensive coordinator.