1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lovie Smith Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Htown Legend, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Who knew hiring a 65 year old coach known to be stubborn and set in his ways would result in said coach being less than entirely receptive to change or suggestions from assistant coaches.

charlieaustin, ROCKSS, cbass and 8 others like this.
  2. Xopher

Xopher Member

I don't want Demeco or Gannon because I want an offensive minded head coach. I don't know about EB. He has done tons of interviews and hasn't landed a job. I don't know why. The rumors are he doesn't interview well, but no specifics. Johnson has limited experience as an OC, but he has done well, but McDaniel in Miami has done well as a head coach with limited OC experience .

Messiah11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Especially when the assistant coaches were not people he was even allowed to choose.

Nook likes this.
  4. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Oh he chose many of them.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Finally you understand.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. raining threes

The day Deshaun Watson was drafted is when the cellar dweller days became inevitable. BOB and Deshaun are the reasons the Texans org is where it's at today. You can also blame Cal for giving Watson the NTC.

Bobbythegreat, Rvo384 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m careful with using the word racist…. What I will say is all too often AA coaches aren’t treated the same as NAA coaches.

Texans are a dumpster fire we all knew that - Mills is not it, we knew that last year and it was proven again this year.

We weren’t going to win the division , and we needed to tank

Wanting to hire McCown not once but twice and getting so much heat you use a AA coach’s for 1 and dones… when they could of just hired Flores or EB and understood the rebuild would take 3-4 years.

It’s a combination of stupidity, lack of awareness and overall people in position of power playing manipulation games to keep the heat off themselves.

Nook likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's rare you see a "fall guy" coach hired in the NFL.

The Texans did it twice... in a row. Yikes.

9. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Flores was never going to be a good hire.

10. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

It’s rare you see a QB with 20 plus sexual assault allegations right before you look for a coach.

TheFreak, cbass, Omihall23 and 4 others like this.
  11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look what he did with Miami … look what his replacement did with Miami

Fulgore likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Texans should have aggressively hired a competent head coach, and made a commitment to that head coach, letting them start the process of building their culture while the FO cleaned up the Watson, draft capital & salary cap situations.

Instead, they very obviously recognized the situation was untenable, and against a backdrop in which Black head coaches have been screaming for decades that they do not receive the same opportunities or treatment as white head coaches, went out of their way to essentially prove that to be true.

What is - and should be - concerning is that not a single member of this organization recognized those optics and thought better of it. In fact, they were so ensconced in their white privilege, they didn't even recognize/stop it a second time.

So now I'll ask you a question: what message does that send to prospective Black head coaches across the league? If you're DeMeco Ryans (and I know there are other issues there), is this an organization you'd be comfortable working for? Because here's the thing: it really doesn't matter if *you or I* think it's racist. What matters is how it's perceived around league circles. And not just among coaches; players see and hear it, too. (Remember - again, right or wrong - this is an organization with a bit of a reputation thanks to McNair's inmates comment.)

The Texans are incompetent, yes. But they are also selling another, far worse narrative, and whether it's accidental or not is not really relevant.

#372 Hey Now!, Jan 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    Nook, HillBoy and Major like this.
  13. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Any competent head coach, black or not, knows that David Culley and Lovie Smith would not have gotten a chance anywhere else. No way any prospective head coach is comparing themselves with those two and thinking they’re on the same lvl.

houstonstime likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

I think you missed the entire point.

Nook and Hey Now! like this.
  15. Major

Major Member

How is Watson responsible for it? He gave the Texans a few years of good-to-great QB play and then they got more back from trading him than they spent to get him in the first place. Any other random mid-first-round pick that year doesn't net the Texans the haul they got and is probably already gone off the team. No QB picked after Watson in 2017 did anything, and no QB available to the Texans in 2018 has done anything either so it's not like they'd have found a better option either.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It says "Don't suck as a head coach or you'll get fired"

It also says, "You are going to get preferential treatment based on the color of your skin that will help you get jobs you don't deserve, but that preferential treatment won't help you keep that job if you suck at it"

I would agree that we need to get rid of that preferential treatment altogether and hire ONLY on the basis of merit, but I'm okay with baby steps in the right direction.

raining threes likes this.
  17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This. It's also about arrogance. That performance yesterday was strictly PR bulls**t for the masses. They think so little of fans that they believe the fans will swallow any crap they shovel out there. They already know the talking heads in the Houston media won't challenge them or speak truth to power. Why Landry (610) was on YouTube Sunday night right after Lovie was fired making excuses for Nick. So NOW, the story the Texans and their synchophants are pitching (and want folks to swallow) is that Caserio has now been "humbled" by what has gone down and is feeling the heat. Oh, and NOW the McNairs are going to be more involved (as if that makes any difference). You are 100% correct about this not being about racism. It was a clown show. Culley and Lovie were merely props - the same sort of props you see at Trump's MAGA rallies holding up "Blacks For Trump" signs.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  18. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

20 plus allegations made the job undesirable.

19. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Props eh? Who else was hiring them? The Texans made them both richer.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I was literally going to say the same thing. The league's problematic hiring practices are not solved by merely hiring Black coaches. Those Black coaches have to be given the same resources and opportunities as their white peers. Culley and Smith clearly were not. The Texans should've - even if we're just being cynical about the whole thing - recognized the situation they were creating and navigated it better. It's absolutely concerning they didn't. Twice!

gfab-babyboi likes this.