1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lovie Smith Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Htown Legend, Jan 8, 2023.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

you don’t think it’s silly that cal was so racist that even though there was active lawsuit going on about this very issue and tons of bad press… that he just couldn’t help himself and had to do this very thing just to stick it to black coaches?

what makes more sense that or that he chose the wrong people because he was trying to avoid bad press since they were black and it backfired because he’s an idiot and they weren’t good fits?

No Worries and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I do believe that in trying to avoid looking racist they hired the two token coaches.

Only a racist would care about optics and do something like this. It's really remind me of folks who always like to say I'm not racist I have a black friend.

The org isn't racist we hired a black coach. Same concept/mindset.

The incompetent factor is that they somehow manage to hire two bad minority coach in a row. I don't know if that was intentional.

#302 DatRocketFan, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    liveguy, TheRealist137 and megastahr like this.
  3. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I agree that is probably the case. But still boils down to total incompetence. I think if they stumbled on a good hire and the coach was black they would be happy keeping him on as long as possible. With exact mentality your suggesting.
    They are all idiots. Irredeemable Morons guys… no fixing it.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I agree with you.

Let me ask you this - if Cal were to fire Caserio - do you think that changes perception at all? What if he subsequently hires Brian Flores?

In my opinion - Cal could rewrite the narrative and lay blame on Caserio if he wanted

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

yes thats right

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I think the racist label is gonna b hard to rid of even if they hire another minority coach unless that said coach lead us back to the playoffs. Only an idiot would fail to see the last two hire were token hires. Winning washes away a lot of criticisms.

Firing caserio really does nothing. The whole hiring process for caserio was stupid as fk from the start. Most folks have heard how the stupid owner disregard his own scouting company used to find a gm to fly a private jet to pick up caserio.

even when fired the BoB and easterbunny stench lingers in the form of caserio

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

DeMeco needs to stay away from the Texans organization. Good for him.

charlieaustin and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. a time to chill

When are y'all going to realize that Caserio and the Texans tell lies to the fans? They said they let Culley go for "philosophical differences" and that he wouldn't part with OC Tim Kelly. They asked Culley about this directly and he said he was never given this ultimatum. They just immediately fired him.

liveguy likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep. At least by them blowing the #1 pick, they won't have to also go through the possible embarrassment of a player saying he will refuse to play with this team if they draft him.

I guess that could also happen at #2 but its less predictable.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

People take shitty HC opportunities all the time because there are only 32 of them and you never know when you'll get another chance. Not getting the top tier candidates is understandable because they had better opportunities. But Flores wanted the Houston job last year. Gannon wanted the job last year. Bienemy would take any job. Lots of other up-and-comers would take any job they could get. These guys are all better than Culley or Lovie. The fact that the Texans hired two coaches that literally no one else even thought about interviewing was by design. Cleveland for the past 20 years, Detroit, the Jets, and plenty of other jobs have been terrible jobs too - yet qualified candidates still take those opportunities. Houston's not the only crappy franchise out there.

BigM likes this.
  15. a time to chill

Imagine the scenario if Colts trade up for Bryce Young and CJ Stroud is left at #2. CJ Stroud's agent is Deshaun Watson's agent - David Mulugheta

liveguy and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. STR8Thugg

Look, if you can't evaluate the situation here in 2020 and realize it wasn't just normal shitty franchise stuff going on then idk what to tell you.

17. STR8Thugg

It doesn't matter what either of us say. I'm not going to convince you, and you certainly aren't going to convince me of this nonsense.

Actual systemic racism is the school to prison pipeline, the criminal justice system, affordable housing...not one and done minority coaches getting huge financial windfalls. That's absolutely ****ing ludicrous.

Stephen66 likes this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Your revisionist narrative was we were forced to hire Culley/Lovie cause there were no other viable candidates. The poster u replied listed: Flores, Gannon, and Bienemy were willing to work the Texans.

Systemic racism can happen anywhere and in any field, it doesn't have to b only limited to a certain area. Racist aren't gonna stop being racist.

liveguy likes this.
  19. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Don't love it, but Deshaun is a different person than CJ Stroud. Mulugheta has many clients around the league, and there's no way an nfl organization can avoid a major agency like that.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think his point was that his agent will steer him away from the Texans.

a time to chill likes this.