1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Lovie Smith Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Htown Legend, Jan 8, 2023.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

We will never be a real franchise with Cal as it’s leader. Period. Expect mediocrity at best and be pleasantly surprised if we stumble onto a good season

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

that’s my point this was total incompetence at every level of the Texans organization. You really don’t have to look much deeper. Cal is an idiot and incapable of doing anything right including leadership hires.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah I was being sarcastic. I disagree with you generally about Caserio, but I understand why people feel that way. At this point I’d say it’s fair.

I don’t think firing the GM now is the smart move short term or long term. A lot rides on this offseason. We shall see.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, the Caserio hire was heavily influenced by BOB and Easterby.

If the other two were already deemed incompetent... not sure why they're hanging on to the offspring of their failed marriage.

Cal doesn't need to do anything. Hire a consulting firm to make a top notch recommendation for a GM/President of football operations, then go with their recommendation. They literally tried to do that and decided to go with somebody that their EVP was more comfortable with... and then that set off the Deshaun drama, etc. etc. etc.

Phillyrocket and charlieaustin like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But if one of the net results of that incompetence is two Black head coaches being given the exact treatment that has long plagued NFL hiring practices.... why is that something that we should casually dismiss, or, worse, ignore?

That the Texans didn't recognize this as potentially problematic is disturbing; more so that they seemingly didn't care.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The lawsuit was how black folks aren't given a fair shake at the hc position. The Texans were about to prove the lawsuit point by hiring an unqualified white coach over qualified ones (including black candidates). So what did they do? They hired an incompetent token coach and followed it up with an outdated token coach to avoid criticisms.

There's no fking way u can deny racism doesn't exist in the NFL. There's no way u can say that competent black candidates don't exist. We seen so many sht medicore white coaches.

7. STR8Thugg

I really don’t care if they are racist if it means the football team improves. Sorry.

These race bait narratives are ridiculous. Do you sincerely believe keeping 1) Culley or 2) Lovie was the right move? Or is it just easy to pile on bc they picked 2 AA coaches as the bridge/fall guy? Would you preferred they just hire 2 honkeys for 1 and done like SF, to move on to the 3rd honkey? Is that preferable?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was more than that... its targeting minority HC's to be fall guys more than non-minority coaches.

The Texans were going to prove it by firing Culley (minority fall guy) and then hiring a non-minority to be their coach of the extended future.

And now one year later, they're still complicit in participating in this practice... even if Lovie's firing is completely justified, they've already brought this heat upon themselves with their previous decision making patterns.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Both of them were well paid financially for their time. In the case of Culley it likely materially changed him financially for the rest of his life. Smith had a huge payout from UI. I think the larger issue is integrity, were these guys hired with the idea they would be fired after a year, and were they choosen because they are black? IDK but it is something that the Texans should have known would raise eyebrows.

This is just an example of how incredibly out of touch the Texans are. Hamilton is old news, and around the league it is known that he isn't an OC and he really isn't even a QB whisperer. What he did well in Chicago and other places is forge a friendship with the QB. He didn't really make the QB's better, as much as he became friends with them. To this day he is really good friends with Cutler. It wasn't really a mentor type relationship.

At the time I said it was insane that the Texans viewed him this way, and I still hope that they just had to talk someone up so they talked him up. He is not and never will be more than a QB coach.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You're missing the point. Neither candidate was a good choice and that's what made them appealing to the Texans: they were sacrificial lambs. That nobody within the organization stopped to ask if, in a league with a long history of racist hiring practices, hiring two Black head coaches just to fire them as soon as possible was bad idea is the issue.

STR8Thugg and Nick like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Caserio could u know hire a competent black coach.

Instead he picks an incompetent one and an outdated one. Speaks poorly of how caserio hc assessment abilities are.

Anybody could tell culley and lovie wasn't it.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or just hire a competent HC period that they actually believe in and is sought after in the industry.

And if they also happen to be a minority, even better (from a inclusivity/inequality/society standpoint).

But if you're going to hire a patsy/fall-guy... probably best that you also don't target that guy to be a minority. And if you're not intentionally doing it, and you're oblivious to the optics of those decisions... then you're incompetent and shouldn't be in a leadership position.

Red.Glare and STR8Thugg like this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. conquistador#11

Still laughing.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

At least we can bring Easterby back in now to settle the team down and right the ship.

RunninRaven likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I might consider this off topic since I am not discussing race.
    But, can the Texans contact any of these suspected coaches they have interest in, or do they have to wait until the playoffs are over?
    Can a potential coach accept a job for next season while still playing this current year.

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

In hindsight, maybe it would have been better to leave Culley in place and let him go after this season, could have saved Cal a few bucks :D

19. STR8Thugg

Fine, if it’s about the process, then chirp when they hired them instead of when they fired them. Moving on was the right move in both cases.

Should the Texans not move on bc of fear of backlash? That’s laughable.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. STR8Thugg

I think they can bc I seem to remember every year this being a topic with coaches on playoff teams. Pretty sure coaches will interview during playoff prep weeks.

No Worries likes this.