1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

What a pathetic franchise

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 8, 2023.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Scouts/GMs can be wrong too. Keep that in mind. I think Young & Stroud will be good. I just favor Stroud more.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The ONLY team who was TRYING to tank on purpose in the last 20 years, that was really rewarded, was the Astros. Tanking doesn't really work nowadays.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Oh please. Tanking does work if it's done by a competent team. Texans can't even lose properly hence tanking doesn't work for us.

If u aren't painting sht into rainbows and sparkles, u r stating opinions like they are facts.

All we had to do was lose yesterday yet we couldn't even do that

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm not as pissed off as some of you because I'm convinced the Texans would have blown the #1 pick even if we still had it. They would have probably taken a pass rusher instead of a QB.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's what they do with the #2 pick.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That might very well be the right pick! The issue is that they gave up full control of this draft - not just 1.1 but pick #33, too, which has traditionally been a very valuable pick. Just a colossal **** up.

BigM and liveguy like this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No. 2 pick has traditionally been a huge spot to trade down and get a ton of picks

7. liveguy

liveguy Member

Something tells me they will bring on either Carr or Jimmy G and do just that.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  8. Damion Laverne

Poverty franchise

juanm34 and IBTL like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Indeed. Also most of the "Texan homers" are oblivious to the fact that the Texans were by far the WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. The worst team in the league deserves the #1 pick. They lost the head-to-head against Chicago and would likely lose the majority of games to the Bears if they played several against each other.

They weren't intentionally losing... they were that bad. They weren't "tanking"... they had poor talent, little experience, a bad/failed HC, and were overmatched in nearly every game they played this year. Any team/player can get lucky and pull a interception, Hail Mary, or fluke play out of their ass... and the Texans had a lot of that on Sunday.

They could have assured things by not playing the only players with a semblance of talent... and one of them had already publicly quit on the team, yet they kept him around (Cooks).

TheRealist137 and ROCKSS like this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yes; traditionally, for teams that don't need a QB. The Texans need a QB. And the Bears don't. That gives Chicago *tremendous* leverage.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Interesting.

Seems to me there is a category of fans who are just going to go to the games and tailgate no matter what. Even if the team goes 0-17 for the next 10 years, they will still go. It's a lifestyle thing.

Usually, it's great for a team to have diehard fans but in this case, I think it's hurting the franchise. It's blinding them into believing that the status quo is okay.

juanm34 likes this.
  12. oelman44

oelman44 Member

True. I slightly favor Bryce Young, but don't have a strong preference between the two. But it kills me to think that we may be getting our second choice at QB because of yesterday's outcome. When it comes to franchise QB's you're building your franchise around you don't want to settle.

In fact, I think us getting our second choice is probably the most likely outcome. I think a QB hungry team is pretty likely to put together a compelling offer for the #1 spot, the Bears could trade down and still get one of the top elite defensive players in this draft, and I'd think there's very little chance the Texans trade up for the #1 spot given the embarrassment that would cause as we literally had that pick in the bag.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member

texans are the epitome of penny smart , pound foolish

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully Caserio evaluated the qbs and realized none of them were worth the 1st pick. So winning the game yesterday allows him to get the best player available. I don't think these QBs are worth a trade up or even the 1.1. They shoulda just kept Lovie around for one more year cuz what new coach is gonna want to be here for another tank year.

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

As much as I dislike Lovie, I think it would have been prudent to keep him for one more year. I get the reasons to fire him but who wants this job now after back-to-back firings, this isn't going to get fixed in a year or two, a real coach will want at least 4-5 years.......Culley was a joke of a hire so I get that but I have to ask why in the hell was he hired in the first place, it was painfully obvious he was a joke

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Except when were they even penny smart?

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok, genius….name teams that were successful at tanking AND it worked out for them in the last 20 years?

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jags are on the up and up after tanking for Lawrence and getting the #1 pick last season as well.

Bengals got Joe Burrow #1 overall, Jamarr Chase next season and haven't looked back

In other words, you will go to literally any length to defend an incompetent Texans organization.

19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Sounds like Cowboys country -

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would ask him the opposite question... when has a team or fan base truly regretted tanking for a top pick?