1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Lovie Smith Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Htown Legend, Jan 8, 2023.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

So let me get this straight. The same owner/GM who have a team that is what 80% black, and then hires two consecutive black coaches and pays them $60 million... is somehow racist? And now your stance is that there were "qualified" black coaches that should have been hired instead of Culley and Smith? Good grief -- this sounds so ridiculous. You just can't satisfy some people. This risk you run when people react like this is that employers/owners just say screw it -- nothing I do will be spun as anything but racist. So just don't even bother appeasing the malcontents and hire who you want.

At some point you have to respect that the Texans gave two black coaches an opportunity to lead the team. That's a fact. And it's also a fact that the team was horrible in both of those seasons. They tried. It didn't work. We have to move on for the sake of progress... and that progress is more important that satisfying the ever-changing demands of selected fans who are obsessed with "racial justice" -- whatever that means.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well, at least two black head coaches have benefited from those severance checks.

But I think this is also a little unfair. The Texans also promoted Pep Hamilton and hyped him the EFF up preseason. They even included him as part of their introductory press conference.

Pep was considered a QB guru and they were desperate to keep him around with people even suggesting he might be the next head coach. He fell flat on his face as a coordinator in year 1, but the Texans gave him that chance that he had been wanting.

TheFreak, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How could Lovie really go for that win yesterday? He would still be here I bet if that 2 point play fails - somebody should have "slipped" on the conversion :D. How do you start a season playing for a tie and end it going for a win when you needed to lose to have some sort of moral victory? That was the reality of yesterday and threw so many things for a loop that you couldnt keep going with the status quo. Get in the ring with some of these guys like Payton, McVay and the other bright coordinators and find a real football man. Caserio should be worried too. That scowl on Cals face yesterday LOL he actually acted on it. Good for him.

Stephen66, cmoak1982 and liveguy like this.
  5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah! Lovie and Culley are legitimate coaches that had so many options! I’m sure both of them would have actually been considered by other teams!! Done wrong I tell ya! Still gettin paid but done wrong!!!

Stephen66 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. liveguy

liveguy Member

BINGO

Hey Now! likes this.
  7. STR8Thugg

Dude I’m trolling. Both of these guys were ****ing clowns. Neither of them had a chance with any other organization. Lovie going balls to the wall to win that irrelevant game was ****ing criminal.

Stephen66 and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. STR8Thugg

I don’t believe those rumors

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I had the same question last night when I heard about Lovie getting canned. My guess is that the Texans will take a page from Jerry Jones and interview the assistant locker room attendent in order to "satisfy" the Rooney Rule. Even though there are only 32 available jobs, if I'm a Demeco Ryans or the like I'd steer clear of this clownshow because Cal and Nick have made it abundantly clear that they will use the HC as a scapegoat in order to cover their asses.

a time to chill likes this.
  10. STR8Thugg

4-12 would be a better outcome than either of these trash coaches that were justifiably canned

Stephen66 likes this.
  11. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I think Lovie knew he was gone and this was an F You. That or he has watched this team all year and thought "There is no way in Hell we are converting this" Take your pick

Verbal Christ and B-Bob like this.
  12. a time to chill

It's not a real opportunity when they were set up to fail from the start and not given more than a year to implement their plan. Black coaches don't need handouts especially when there were qualified black coaches they could've hired instead of Culley and Smith (Leslie Frazier, Eric Bieniemy, Brian Flores, etc.). They just wanted two black faces to serve as patsies.

I don't really care about the race of the coach. What every fan should be worried about is how Caserio is running the organization by actively avoiding bringing in a qualified head coaching candidate. The rumor is that he wants to hire Gannon, but why now and not last year when they interviewed him for the job that ultimately went to Lovie? I think Gannon is just a smoke screen so they can bring in another unqualified coach that Caserio can micromanage.

HillBoy and Hey Now! like this.
  13. justtxyank

This is BS. By all accounts Nick Caserio was a HUGE fan of Brian Flores and as soon as he was fired by Miami he was widely reported to be the favorite here, including by Aaron Wilson. His lawsuit ended that possibility.

Now, clearly they didn't want to build with Culley. Lovie I think the owner genuinely loved and believed in. He and his dad loved Lovie for more than a decade. Hell, they hired him to be DC before they even hired Culley to be HC!

I can buy into the idea that they thought Lovie was a proven stable coach who could help bring stability to the org. Big miss. But that wasn't a pandering hire. The two guys that the org (different parts of it at least) wanted in Flores and McCown were untenable for different reasons.

Nook, TheFreak, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  14. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Romeo Crennell

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Don't do this. It's a bad look. Bill O'Brien won 9, 9, 9 and 4 games in his first four seasons. He was an absurdly mediocre coach.

The Colts were widely criticized for the Saturday hire; and yes, there is a long list of mediocre white head coaches - that's the point.

And, sure: the Texans are an easy franchise to kick when it's down. At the same time, they had to be forced not to hire Josh McCown, which, in a loooooooong history of systemactic racist hiring in the NFL, would've skyrocketed to the most racist, and then set two Black coaches up to fail with no intention of keeping them long-term. I mean, hiring a Black head coach and then firing him, ostensibly, because he... *won*..... that's a gigantic issue. It is the basis of Flores' lawsuit, and the NFL should absolutely be up the Texans ass about it.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/content/2023-01-09-sources-texans-leading-head-coaching-candidates/

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. STR8Thugg

Lovie and Culley are such terrific coaches. I’m sure they are at the top of available head coaches and will receive interviews and consideration from other organizations.

18. justtxyank

1) I'm not going to defend Caserio because there is nothing on his resume yet worth defending. If they fired him today I wouldn't care.

2) BUT...the owner loved Lovie Smith.

3) This is the first offseason they are truly free of the Deshaun anchor. We'll see what they do.

4) You are totally right that if they hire an unqualified candidate this round they deserve all the scorn they get, no matter the race of the candidate.

5) Of the names you mentioned, Brian Flores was their preferred hire and he nuked himself. Bieniemy is who I wanted but lets be real at this point...guy can't get hired despite multiple interviews with multiple teams over several years now. Something is up. And Frazier? Give me a break on him being a huge improvement over Lovie. He's a JAG at this point.

Basically last year they whiffed entirely but it wasn't because they picked Lovie over Frazier. I don't know WTF is going on with them right now. They appear incompetent.

liveguy, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. liveguy

liveguy Member

All I know is Casserio shoulda got the can too…

No GM should be allowed to hire 3 head coaches in 3 years and remain employed.

The job is above him.

Anybody can key in on SEC players to look smart but the tale is told with how football operation, philosophy and consistency translates.

Spoiler alert: It doesn't.

Texans have been in disarray for 3 years and the only consistent thing we’ve seen is new head coaches every season since he’s been the GM.

20. justtxyank

Slight correction: Josh McCown has coaching experience at...uh...levels...lol. We did a comparison in another thread where he had more experience than Jeff Saturday lol.