1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Defense vs. Offense Coaching Hires

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Coach E, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Coach E

Coach E Member

I’m looking at the league as it stands now, offensive minded coaches are dominating the league. Take a look at a quick run down.

2022 New HC Hires:
    Jags hire O - 3-14 to playoffs
    Giants hire O - 4-13 to playoffs
    Dolphins hire O 9-8 to playoffs
    Vikings hire O 8-9 to playoffs
    Broncos hire O 7-10 to 5-12
    Bears hire D 6-11 to 3-14
    Texans hire D 4-13 to 3-13-1

One seeds in 2022-2023 playoffs:
    KC - O
    Philly - O

Two seeds in 2022-2023 playoffs
    Buffalo - O
    SF - O

Three Seed in 2022-2023 Playoffs
    Cincy - O
    Minn - O

Fourth Seed 2022-2023 Playoffs
    Jax - O
    TB - D (in theory defense, though they have regressed losing Bruce)

last 5 Super Bowl winning coaches
    2022 - LA - O
    2021 - TB - O
    2020 - KC - O
    2019 - NE - D
    2018 - Philly - O

I think is absolutely clear that to have success, you need an offensive minded coach. 4-5 coaching hires from 2022 on offense took their teams to the playoffs. 2-2 defensive coaching hires took their teams to a worse record(and now are 1 and 2 in the draft).

Every division winner is an offensive minded coach, outside of Tampa(but let’s be real, Todd had taken a great team and brought them down to average).

4-5 of the last Super Bowl champs are offensive minded coaches. The only exception is NE with Brady.

This doesn’t need to be hard, hire OFFENSE.

2. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

So you are saying elevate pep to head coach :)

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. Coach E

Coach E Member

this would at least allow us to tank next season lol

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

but we are tired of tanking it’s time to start winning so we need a young innovative mind and offensive coaches are the way to go these days I agree with you there

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Ben Johnson it is

Coach E, Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

McDermott was a defensive coach.

7. raining threes

Gannon

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yes sir

9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I think you can win with either, but having an elite offensive mind does seem to be a much bigger differentiator for a team than having an elite defensive mind. It also seems to be much easier to find a true difference-making coordinator at DC than OC, at OC you just have to hope you get lucky with someone of that elk that doesn't have enough experience to be considered for a HC job

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would rather have offensive, but whichever one is going to bring a strong staff, the strongest of which being the coordinator opposite his specialty, I want that one.

TheFreak and raining threes like this.
  11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Everyone always wants an OC as their head coach, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it was the head coach who found said OC and provided him the environment to succeed. I’d rather have the guy who knows how to pick a good coordinator as the head coach. Perhaps that’s still the former OC, perhaps not.

Two Sandwiches and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If Sean McVay is trying to leave the Rams and is down for rebuilding a franchise I'd love to have him.

BigShasta likes this.
  13. Coach E

Coach E Member

I think Ben Johnson and Kliff Kingsburry should be at the top of the list.

Ben is probably the best choice as he is an unknown commodity. Worse case is he’s awful as a HC and we have the first pick next year.

Kliff is a solid choice, he is a proven coach. Taking the cards to the playoffs, creating a great offense at UH, A&M, Tech, and AZ. He’s still young, and has roots to texas and houston.

14. Major

Major Member

Kliff Kingsbury is a lesson in how to fail upwards. He wasn't even a good college coach.

I think you can win either a defensive or offensive minded head coach. 3 of the most consistently successful franchises over the last 15 or 20 years (Patriots, Steelers, Ravens) have all had long-term defensive head coaches.

That said, a big advantage to an offensive headcoach is stability. The Lions, for example, finally had a decent year and found an offensive system that could get the best out of Jared Goff. Their reward? The OC will probably leave and they'll start over with all sorts of uncertainty with a new system next year. Having your head coach also be your offensive genius leads to consistency on that side of the ball so you can rely on it year-in and year-out.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not only that, but the most glaring need on the team is at quarterback...

Completely agree though.