1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Buck Turgidson

Fantastic movie!

Have you seen "Banshees of Inishirin" yet?

GRENDEL and MadMax like this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

White Noise - Netflix original.
    0/10
    How did this get made? It was so awful. And not even laughable bad, just painfully bad.

Jontro likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

bullet train - ryan reynolds/10

what a fantastic prequel to train to busan. didn’t see the twist ending coming. angelina jolie was great in this

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

I have no idea what the hell I watched or what to think about it.

It's based on a Don DeLillo novel and was widely described as "unfilmable"...maybe they should have listened to that opinion.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

When the movie starts besides the delivery man no one is wearing a mask. The governor is doing a interview with cnn, the cameraman nor the publicist is wearing a mask. Kate Hudson at a party with a lot of people, no masks in sight. Batista's mom is old, no mask. There's even a flashback to Blanc meeting with Janelle Mone where they hatch the plan, Blanc wore a mask outside, open air with the supposed intent to wear it the entire trip but didn't wear a mask to meet a stranger on his balcony across a card table? In the next scene Blanc and Janelle Mone are at a restaurant, Blanc is sitting right next to Mone, no mask, the only one with a mask on is the waiter, yes they are seated outside at the restaurant but in the storyline next day Blanc is outside with a thick mask to get on the boat. The masks didn't add anything. Aside from the Batista pineapple reference, the entire mask/throat shot scene was pointless. It was obviously an acknowledgement to vaccines and vaccine hesitancy but no one refused the throat shot, if this was supposed to have some meaning someone should have refused the shot and missed out on the trip. The movie is full of holes and being set during covid is dumb and adds zero to the overall plot

#9805 Fantasma Negro, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yes. I really liked it.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

My wife and I joked that we couldn’t give a synopsis of the movie because we had no idea what we just watched.

Most bad movies are still somewhat enjoyable. This movie was just terrible the entire time.

8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The fact that you remember all this Glass Onion mask wearing trivia is fascinating. Did you track this while watching? It seems like an unpleasant way to watch a movie and I see why you didnt enjoy it. I mean, the movie wasnt perfect - I see it more as social satire than a true mystery as advertised - but I liked the change in perspective at the 1/3 mark.

Agree he could mocked them in a billion different ways like White Lotus does and opted out of 2020 to be safe I guess.

That being said, he chose 2020. It took place that summer, when various people had various approaches to the pandemic depending on a variety of reasons, and their different approaches (the scientist with like 3 masks on vs. the gal with the fashion mask) was funny bc thats how life was back then. I think Johnson was more about skewering the new money ultra wealthy and vapid celebrities who are famous for nothing and one way to do this was showing how they were far less impacted by the pandemic than the average person.

The fact that Miles had this spray, and it was delivered by Ethan Hawk, wasnt a statement against anti-vaxxers, it was more about setting the table that Miles Bron is either (1) a rich jerk keeping a cure to himself so he can have ultra lux beach parties while world is reeling (2) pushing untested cures on his "friends" - which would set the table for how he is pushing this miracle untested power supply on the world.

That being said, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Prey, and Maverick were more fun to watch.

#9808 mateo, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Turk is back!

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Avatar 2 - 8/10. Pretty watchable and going into it, had low expectations.

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Kind of like the last 25 Bruce Willis straight to TV movies, lol.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Lost Bullet" AKA "Balle Perdue"

French action movie. Car chases, dirty cops, dance-like action sequences. Hits all the action movie cliches.

Sort of reminds me of a French Jason Statham movie, with a little bit of Gone in 60 Seconds thrown in for good measure. I give it 6.5 out of 10, for novelty. If it were actually another Jason Statham movie in English it'd probably be more like a 5. The novelty of the whole thing being French is good for extra credit.

Good time waster, don't think too deeply. Bland cop/action movie won't blow you away, but won't make you rage quit because it's stoopid.

13. Buck Turgidson

"The Menu" is nuts, and awesome, on so many levels.

I'll have more thoughts once I process it, and talk to my brother tonight (he told me over Christmas that parts of it gave him quasi-ptsd from his fancy-restaurant days).

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I watched "Happiest Season" on Hulu to see how Kristen Stewart faired in a holiday-type rom com as a lesbian partnering with Mackenzie Davis.

I have to say this movie had me laughing out loud at parts. It was of better quality than any of that Hallmark crap. The acting and production quality was a step above...as well as the story.

It felt like it had real-life like notes to it and didn't feel phony. It got an 82% critics review and 73% users review on RT. I would say that is about right.

It's possibly the only LGTBQ+ holiday movie I'll ever watch as I was sucked in by the cuteness of Kristen. Not that there is anything wrong with watching those type movies...if that is what you are into.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Yep: everyone should watch this

GRENDEL likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually don't watch a lot of movies but on long plane fights I end up watching a bunch. On my flight from Hong Kong I watched Nope, Three Thousands Years of Longing, and Bullet Train.
    Nope: Pretty good and strikes me as a low key horror movie. Part of that was the very low key style of Daniel Kaluuya who handles the role in a very relaxed way but it works well. The special effects are very interesting and not at all like what we see in most current movies. I think I read somehwere that Peele didn't use CGI and I can see that in the movie.

Three Thousand Years of Longing: I didn't really know what to expect coming into this movie as I was more familiar with George Miller's Mad Max movies. This movie was very different than those notably with in the very deliberate pacing. Great acting by Idris Elba and Tilda Swinton with some very interesting ideas explored in it. That said the love story ending of it felt too much like a chic flic fulfilment movie for middle aged women.

Bullet Train: Very entertaining movie, funny with some great action. Definitely not a movie you want to think about a lot but a great way to blow off some time. Really great roles for Brad Pitt but this really is an ensemble cast and they all seem to have a lot of fun doing it.

GRENDEL and jiggyfly like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did not know this was HBO, I have been wanting to see this but thought it was still in theaters.

18. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

The Glass Onion - 10/10

This was great.

My hat's off to Daniel Craig, who continues to excel at making movies I truly enjoy. The man's underrated AF as an actor.

Rian Johnson killed it.

And Janelle Monáe stole it.

I hope they make more.

GRENDEL likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not a movie, but a miniseries on Netflix.

The Devil in Ohio

Terrible. Really bad. I didn't like anyone in the show. I am angry at myself for watching it. The Netflix blurb made it sound really interesting but they added so much **** on top the main story - young woman escapes a cult - that it was frustrating.

0/10 would never recommend

20. Buck Turgidson

So my brother says about "The Menu"

This Guy: shows up over my brother's shoulder, the first time he met him, and says...

"please show me all of the quiche that you have"

https://www.californiamuseum.org/inductee/thomas-keller

*right in the middle of a 450 person lunch seating*

#9820 Buck Turgidson, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023