1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I'd do it if we get Wemby at center. The problem is the Hornets would never make this trade because Lamelo when healthy is already a borderline all star.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

they are just as bad him this year as without.

3. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

4-9 with Ball
    6-18 without

What's our record with Green?

Edit. Charlotte has pretty much been a 50% team since Ball while we have been the worst team in the league with Green.

4. studogg

the same as our record with the point guard you’d be replacing and pushing into another role. The same as our record with the front court that would be be changed. The same as our record is with our SF’s.

If the argument was trading KPJ and two first for ball - you’d have me interested. But trading our best scoring talent for a facilitator that would flourish with a talented scorer like green but instead taking that piece away to get him feels very much like a lateral move.

J.R. likes this.
  5. studogg

The biggest concern regarding Greens trajectory is injury. Specifically any injury that could impact his speed.

His speed is an absolute elite skill. Add in his work ethic and shot making capabilities and his track as a premier scorer is a near lock. But that’s not just my opinion - it’s the opinion anyone in the nba you ask about him.

you build around talent like that. You don’t jump ship early because a young team with poor roster balance is modestly underperforming.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. studogg

4-10. Just lost to the Lakers.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Are you aware of his shooting percentages?

GotGame15 likes this.
  8. studogg

yes - I’m also aware he’s a second year player and that he will get better at shooting, finishing, dribbling and defending while he’ll maintain his elite speed.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So you're just assuming that he'll dramatically improve his perimeter shooting? You call that a "near lock"?

GotGame15 likes this.
  10. studogg

Im considering it a near lock he will become a premier scoring talent in the league. It’s not that hard to grasp. The combination of penetration, getting fouled, finishing and yes - hitting at a better clip than he is currently.

Quit acting like it’s a far fetched concept. Dismissing his talent is where naïveté comes in

xaos and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

He needs to do a lot better than "hitting at a better clip than he is currently". What's naive is thinking he can be a premier scoring talent without an above average perimeter shot.

I don't think it's farfetched, but it's a lot closer to being "farfetched" than it is a "near lock".

DaDakota and GotGame15 like this.
  12. studogg

He’s averaging 21.6 pts per game now at a point that I believe will be his career low in efficiency. He’s still building muscle and his overall body frame which can throw off mechanics. He doesn’t have to get that much better to push that scoring into the mid to high 20’s per game.

If you still disagree - fine. We see it differently. Time will tell.

BaselineFade, xaos and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In one hand you have what you hope will magically happen, in the other you have what already exists....and you're going with hope.

GotGame15 likes this.
  14. studogg

what’s already happened is a 20ppg scorer in year two. What will happen is his improvement.

The funny thing here is I’m only pointing to him becoming a premier scorer. Didn’t talk clutch, didn’t talk defense. The young man has a long way to go. I don’t know that he will get there but I’m going to enjoy watching and finding out.

go ahead and give up. If his name was billy o you’d give him all the time in the world.

xaos likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What's already happened is highly inefficient volume scoring....awesome.

Your fantasy is that he'll one day become an efficient scorer, something he's never been.

I'm not "giving up" but the premise of the thread is if you could trade him for someone who is a hell of a lot better at literally everything on a basketball court.....the obvious answer is, of course you do that.

You can keep the dream alive about what he might one day develop into, but hopes and dreams SHOULD be traded for sure things when possible.

Of course it's all moot because there's no way in hell the Hornets would trade Ball for Green even if you threw in like 3 first round picks, it's just interesting to use this thread to show who is truly a blind homer when it comes to certain players.

16. Ancient Moabite

Are you assumIng he will stay on par or regress his perimeter shooting / overall floor game

Is that a ''near lock'' in your bball assessment book?

17. studogg

I agree with your base premise- I just don’t see it in Ball. If you said Luka because he’s forcing his way out of Dallas - bye Jalen. I’ll pack your bags.

And I like Ball, but if Ball were this magical creature you’re referring to, they would t be losing to the Lakers. He’s got red flags too. Availability being one.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I'm not the one who used "near lock" to describe him. This is his 2nd year. There's nothing about his future that's a "near lock".

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We call new posters out for making sht trade threads when there'd already a random trade idea.

This is a sht trade idea that doesn't deserve its own thread to b honest, needs to b in the rando trade idea thread.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If I'm uninterested in a thread, do you know what I do?

I don't post in it and move on.

DaDakota likes this.