1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chas or Jake - Who Will Have a Better Career?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, Dec 27, 2022.

?

Which of the two will have a better MLB career when all is said and done?

1. Chas McCormick

40 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Jake Meyers

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That's the problem. 2021 I would have said Meyers without a doubt, but he isn't even remotely the same post injury. Even when he was healthy and playing, he looks terrified on defense. You can't play that way.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  2. STR8Thugg

He used to be. Now he looks like a little leaguer who is afraid of the baseball out there.

Tomstro and seemoreroyals like this.
  3. Landry's Tooth

Seems like it just depends on health...

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The vast majority of OFs in the majors look like bad little leaguers as there weren't many guys making plays at a higher rate than Meyers much less close to what Meyers was doing. Meyers's only weak spot defensively was his arm was weak and inaccurate.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Should have said plus defender at going and getting the ball. Arm isn’t all that important in CF but if it’s bad enough that invites problems. He needs to get back to where he was or his arm will be bad enough to wreck the getting to the ball part.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

I went Chas, it is a tough question and propounded by the fact that Jake is a few years younger. Also, Chas will be 28 this year…there’s been some analysis that baseball players’ primes are at age 27, so I think it’s entirely possible that Chas has peaked and Meyers has not. Of course the opposite could also be true (I.e., Meyers has peaked and Chas has not). Either way, I think this is a really difficult choice and made even more difficult by the fact that Meyers is slightly younger. Both have make or break seasons in 2023 as far as their long-term outlooks in the league are considered.

7. STR8Thugg

Again was. Did you watch him last year? He was skiddish af anytime he got within 100 feet of a wall.

Tomstro likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes. If he looked like a little leaguer, all but maybe 5 or so OFs look like little leaguers.

This is the only play that Meyers looked skiddish on for balls hit at least 300 feet in the air that he didn't make the play. This was ruled a hit due to the play difficulty.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=88237e35-43fb-481e-8519-5c0a76dd96dd

One play should not be the judge of a player.

#28 Joe Joe, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    panamamyers likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Going through a lot of Meyers videos...he makes everything look so easy. I'm not seeing this skiddish that STR8Thugg is talking about outside the one video. For the most part, Meyers gets incredible reads on anything over his head and doesn't give himself a chance to be skiddish as he gets to the track quick and has to slow down/stop to wait on the ball instead of crashing into the wall (i.e., he looks calm AF near wall usually).

I get that some people can't appreciate good reads, but Meyers looks freaking great out there. Better than I remember.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s more or less ImPossible to tell whose getting a good read watching on TV. It’s very hard unless you are really locked in to do it in person. That’s why numbers are so important defensively imo. And that takes a huge sample size to ascertain clearly.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Assuming full health, it's Jake Meyers easily. He has all-star potential if he puts it all together. I love Chas -- he's a gritty gamer who had a couple of massive postseason moments with the catch that we'll never forget and the opposite field HR off Gerrit Cole after Bader's drop. But Chas' ceiling is probably what we saw this year. I think Meyers could be a 0.900 OPS hitter at some point. Meyers has the explosive athletic ability that could help him turn into a great player.

panamamyers and awc713 like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On an individual play, sure. When a guy is close to a lot of hard hit balls when TV pans to CF regardless of where the ball is hit, it is easy to figure out a guy is getting good reads (i.e., he isn't perfectly positioned every time).

Granted, the Astros have had a lot of good CF play the past 2 years.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The healthier one.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The question is: Do either of them get 300 PA for the 2025 Astros?

If the answer is yes they are doing pretty well.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a good question. I'm still holding out enough hope that Meyers returns to pre-injury form and turns into an All-star level CF. So I voted for him to try and will that into existence. I got really excited about him when he first came up based on some of the news on this message board about how some people in the Astros organization really thought he was a guy who had that "it" factor and could be a star. His initial performance backed that up in a lot of ways. Hopefully he pulls it all back together.

punkoholic likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This question still bugs me. Not that it is being asked, but that there is still so much uncertainty in Chas's ability after having plenty of opportunity to evaluate him.

Is Chas as good in center as he's played in center?

Are his defensive stats being merely okay in LF a response to having the Crawford boxes stealing opportunities and making a few mistakes early while getting familiar with the boxes and the caroms off of it? I lean towards yes.

Will his hitting remain above average if he played every day? His high walk, high swinging strike, swing for the fences approach is prone to being streaky.

17. STR8Thugg

Valid questions.

Will Jake Meyer’s remember how to hit? OPS higher than .600?

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Who has the better 2023?

I think the Astros know what they have in Chas but not Meyers.

I think Meyers starts the season as the primary starter in order to show that. If he plays like 2021 then Chas gets much less playing time.

Unfortunately, with Brantley resigned and on an incentive based deal Chas is looking at being the one squeezed out if Meyers has a good season.

19. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

With everyone in the Texans thread trying to predict who will be better out of Young, Levis, and Stroud, I just cant with this thread.
    It all guessing and speculation people. I will check back on this in 5 years and see how it ended up.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Then why are you here?

Isn't this the kind of things this site is here for?

Bregatron and Tomstro like this.