1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Exactly. The fact that he’s getting the heat for tonight illustrates how deeply ingrained groupthink can get on this board.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

KPJ had 6 assists in the first quarter and all 3rd quarter he was hitting people for wide open looks they were bricking....he should have easily had a triple double tonight if his teamates could shoot the ball.

DD

Zen Tabak likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I love KPJ, so don’t be lazy and call me a hater.

The problem is exactly what you stated. KPJ is the only one playing well lately. Why is that? Why is he not making his teammates better?

It’s not all on KPJ, that’s for sure. Silas seems to think he is Luka Doncic, and gives him the neon green light that follows. I’m not so sure about this strategy. Neither is EG, and seemingly everyone outside of John Lucas.

#3423 RudyTBag, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  4. Downtown Sniper

He's like a 1/50th version of Westbrook.

Puts up the numbers and they equate exactly 0% to winning basketball.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

KPJ has grown as a player. He has. He’s a better player now than he was a year ago, but I don’t know about him starting with Jalen Green. It reminds me a lot of Francis & Mobley in that there were some flashes that were fun to watch, but too much iso to ever be fully successful together. It just feels like the combination of the two of them starting together isn’t ever going to really work.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

With a near identical usage to James Harden and the entire team built around his success, KPJ should be getting damn near triple doubles nightly, ala Tyreke Evans.

What’s most impressive is when EG/JG/Alperen/Jabari are able to creep out from under his shadow and get something for themselves.

Look how damn hard it is for EG to coexist with KPJ out there. EG is the easiest plug and play guy ever, and KPJ has the most difficult time involving him in anything, especially If he isn’t the guy making the assist.

maypk and Erbnwarfare like this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Kpj played well yet we got ass blasted for 20.

Kpj needs to carry not just play well. He is basically in a luka/harden offense yet his offense can't carry us bc he's inefficient as fk and doesn't draw fouls as well.

Can't pass well enough or make his teammates better, can't score enough to carry. Silas wants him to b the batman but he's really a robin or Alfred (servicable)

Erbnwarfare and RudyTBag like this.
  8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He is passing great, teammates can't shoot.

It must be hard as the best player on this team for a guy like KPJ who would benefit from playing with veteran players....and coaches.

DD

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U say he's the best player but man can't carry for sht can't pass for sht and doesn't make his teammate better.

His passing game pales in comparison to actual pg and is inferior to sengun. You are too bias for him to acknowledge that. Man supposedly has a lob threat in Bruno yet is unable to utilize him properly.

We watch harden for years and seen sengun in action with their passing game, kpj passing game ain't it.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He is our best player and he is passing the ball great, teammates can't shoot.

DD

11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

It's not just that his offense is inefficient and that he doesn't make anyone around him better.

He has some of the worst defensive fundamentals I have ever seen from an NBA player - lack of awareness, takes terrible angles, no communication, lack of accountability... and most importantly, doesn't give a **** about his teammates to cover for them on defense or rotate over to help.

He also has trash-tier attitude and his on-court antics have to be grating on teammates and coaches.

KPJ is not an NBA player, period. He has never learned how to be a professional, and he never will.

Downtown Sniper and maypk like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

1.5 to 1 A/T ratio.

Leads the NBA in turnovers.

“Teammate’s fault…” If there is any groupthink going on in here, it is because of these facts.

maypk likes this.
  13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I think that he's gotten better but at the same time still frustrates me immensely when he misses the easy reads and/or oop opportunities. Why would you kill a highlight play by either trying to get a bucket yourself or slowing down the break?

I think I've realized that my frustration with him is more about style of play than anything else, because clearly he DOES have potential. That doesn't mean I have to like what he's doing now though

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Most of my irritation is system based. I still think KPJ can be a valued player going forward, but we are missing some important leadership elements to make it happen.

Roomba likes this.
  15. maypk

maypk Member

He is not and he is not.

chenjy9 and RudyTBag like this.
  16. Ancient Moabite

KPJ is the said leader and best player on this team now that Wall and Wood are gone and Gordon has tapped out and Green is using this year to iron out the wrinkles in his sophomore season before making that leap

KPJ is the PG (via his own offseason Declaration) and the PG / conductor is supposed to be the on court extension of the head coach

The PG/best player keeps the troops aligned and focused on the court

With being the best, comes great responsibility, asks Peter Parker

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

KPJ is a nice player but he does not mix well with Jalen and he is not a Point Guard. He either can be our SF or 6th Man. He could average 20 points a game if he was not trying to be a Point Guard. He needs to concentrate on being a scorer not a point guard in the NBA and he will be successful. Sometimes I believe Stone does not know what he is doing

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Scoring efficiency is trending in the right direction. For now that’s the most important thing he needs to be improving on for his development.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think if he were our secondary playmaker in the starting line up, he would really flourish. Sharing the court with a Lebron or CP3 would be good for him, his catch and shoot would become more of a weapon, his passing would be a bonus and vets like that will make SURE he plays defense.

Starting to remind me of the situation with Christian Wood. There are some things KPJ needs for his development that he cannot get on a team where everyone is developing, the defense is not being run well, winning is not a priority, losing is not a big deal. Everything he needs to improve is related to making choices - they're not talent or skill deficits. It's just choices. Those kind of things are psychological and requires you to be in a must-win situation with players at the peak of their careers who you respect.

KPJ will develop into a PG but if you ask me it will take another year, maybe even two. The problem is that year or two is when we're developing several other players on the court with him. The best solution is to bring a better floor general into the starting line up and bench Gordon. KPJ gets to keep working on his PG skills but we don't get bottlenecked by his development.

Mr. Clutch and RudyTBag like this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Good take. Secondary play maker to hone his skill if they really wanted him to b a pg. Being the primary playmaker or the main ball distributor hampens his ability to score and the team as a whole