1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah this is revisionist history. KPJ was ranked in the 16-40 range coming out of highschool. Green was ranked in the 1-2 range coming out of highschool. They're not remotely close.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I hate you for the imagery you created here.

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Also, just to further cement the point that KPJ and Green aren't remotely on the same level. Daishen Nix was ranked in the 15-21 range coming out of highschool, significantly better than KPJ. He wasn't drafted 30th just because of his off-court issues, also because of his talent level.

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Doesn't change my opinion of where they are as prospects and the coming out of high school nonsense had Nix at number 1 as a PG, or as you say 15. Those are meaningless.

He was drafted 30 because he was kicked off his college team. And, draft position is meaningless once you get to the league as well - who cares best man plays.....right now they are about equal.

As we watch them grow, Green is mostly right handed, is uber quick with and without the ball, has gotten better at passing, but is still lost on D, can't or won't go left much, and floats during winning time instead of taking charge. His handle is weak, his shot making is at best improving and streaky - he looks like a good solid starting NBA Guard that may make a few all star games to me.

Porter can get anywhere on the floor he wants with his dribble, is a better passer, has a better overall game, can shoot about the same both are improving, but he whines when he doesn't get the ball - sulks - doesn't give the proper effort at times on D, and sometimes makes boneheaded passes.

To me, they are both developing SGs, with the same level of upside.......doesn't mean it can't work between the two of them, I hope it does, but we really need SOMEONE that is better at shooting the ball than they both are now.

DD

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah in all honesty, no scouts anywhere have ever agreed with your take. I'll go with the experts mate tbh.

cbass likes this.
  6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

What experts? Some other random people on the internet....dude anyone can podcast, or become a twitter celeb, or tuber these days, they aren't anymore an expert than you or I.

But it's cool, what you literally just said was...."I am going to go with who I agree with" ......that is fine with me.....

DD

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

No, the professional scouts who get paid to do this for a living. You know, the people who are ACTUAL experts. Jalen's been a top-ranked prospect his entire life, KPJ's never been close to a top ranked prospect. You're a better person than to try and spin something that I never said, or put words in my mouth.

cbass likes this.
  8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No one is disputing where Jalen was ranked - this is not about what was - it is about what is....right now they are about equal - just a little different in certain areas but similar in production.

In the NBA where you were drafted or ranked drops any value around the end of year 2....it is about PRODUCTION on an NBA floor...period.

That is what I believe, I am perfectly fine with you disagreeing - I don't need to hold a popular opinion - just one I believe in......you can believe what you want......we can still be Rocket fans.

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Then 34 year old veteran should not be playing.

DD

harold bingo likes this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Kpj and green are not equals. Kpj is his senior by 2 years if green is somehow deemed similar in ability to kpj, then that's a negative thing to say about kpj.

How can u be in the league for 4 years, have years of off season training and b equal in terms of ability and development to a 2nd year player.

clutchdabear and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. King1

King1 Member

No scouts have ever wanted KPJ. He's garbage like anyone with intelligence knows

clutchdabear and Downtown Sniper like this.
  12. duluth111222

duluth111222 Member

No. We’re talking about ceilings. It has everything to do with draft position, which is based on projections of the player’s ceiling and floor.

Green had superstar potential at the draft. After 1.5 seasons, has it changed? If you say yes, I would like to know why.

No wait, did you say we were around end of year 2 already? How come when it comes to KPJ’s PG experience, you were counting days/games, but now you’re so generous?

clutchdabear and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No, draft position is out the window once they hit the league......no one says well Giannas was drafted at 15 or Kawhi was drafted at 15, or that SGA was drafted at 11, or Donovan Mitchel at 13. The list goes on and on.....

No one cares about draft position once they hit the league, players bust all the damned time from the top on down - we shouldn't consider draft position at all - just what can they do on an NBA floor against NBA players....period.

Does Jalen have SuperStar potential? I see more star potential than Superstar - in fact I don't see anyone on our roster that screams Superstar - or on the way there.

DD

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 Member

Again we’re talking about CEILING. It doesn’t go away once the player hits the league. Now whether the players can reach their projected ceilings is a different story.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

#3415 ApacheWarrior, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    DaDakota likes this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

Do you think the KPJ lunatics put two and two together and realise Ego's comments pertain to a certain player?

Since they share a common trait with KPJ - their IQ - I'd say they don't.

Which makes it even funnier.

clutchdabear and King1 like this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

We have bent over backwards to make KPJ comfortable, it shows.

It doesn’t feel like others enjoy playing with KPJ. He reminds me so much of Brandon Jennings.

For the sake of the core, (Jalen, Jabari, and Alperen) Rafael is going to have to show some stones this off-season.

#3417 RudyTBag, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    clutchdabear likes this.
  18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

LOL. KPJ is the only one who played well tonight, shot efficiently, so now haters have to get creative with crap like, “Players don’t like playing with him.” Give me a break.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Remember when you said Green’s nickname should be “Sixth Man?” Good times.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  20. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ balled tonight. The rest of the team looked like they were ready to party. Sad game all around.

Zen Tabak likes this.