1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bauer is a monster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I do have daughters. Two of them. I have a wife. I have a sister. I have a mother. Whats your point? You aren’t on higher moral ground, so spare me the fake outrage. The charge was thrown out of court. Believe it or not, there are scammers out there that target the rich. Crazy, I know.

2. cbass

cbass Member

I have no more to say to you on this subject.

This whole thing grosses me out, as it should you, but I digress.

Go Stros

Nook and mightybosstone like this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Also, I am posting in a thread that someone else created. You are too.

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

well I guess you just believe any old accusation without considering the other side. That is what grosses me out.

5. mightybosstone

I don't completely rule out anything, but statistically and historically women don't come forward with sexual assault claims just for fun or a payday. Studies have shown that argument to be false time and time again despite the handful of examples people bring up to try and prove the contrary. Court cases are brutal and require putting women in a spotlight most people would prefer not to be in.

Also, what's more likely? That Trevor Bauer (a professional athlete with a massive ego known for being a jerk) is into some kinky **** and abused his power to get off with a few girls? Or that three totally separate women made the same specific claims and put themselves out there for ridicule over lengthy court cases as a means to get paid and ruin one man's reputation? I think you'd have to be pretty naive to lean toward the latter.

The "innocent until proven guilty argument" rarely works in the court of public opinion for sexual assault cases, because (as we learned with Watson), the lack of evidence in those cases is a huge obstacle to get a conviction. Also, as I said previously, whether some of this stuff was consensual or not, his behavior is incredibly concerning nonetheless. No professional team should want a player accused of choking women until they pass out during sex. It's a bad look, and no self-respecting MLB organization should be looking to sign him right now. Especially given Houston's past with the sign-stealing scheme and the Osuna signing, there's zero reason for them to pursue a guy with seriously questionable morals, whether he's guilty in your eyes or not.

Nook and cbass like this.
  6. mightybosstone

You're allowed to have a take on this, but when others disagree with you, it's automatically continued virtue signaling? Is it virtue signaling, or is your perspective just morally repugnant and you can't wrap your brain around why? Call it virtue signaling or whatever the hell else you want to, but I would never in a million years just assume a woman would beat herself up and accuse someone of sexual assault for a paycheck. You're making that assumption based on zero evidence. Based on your own logic, it's OK to assume a woman would do that, but not OK to assume a professional athlete would do that to her? Explain that broken logic to me.

Blatz, Nook and cbass like this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

All of this and you are still only operating on your perception. You perceive him to be guilty and are ignoring the other possibility. You aren’t more disgusted by sexual abuse than I or anyone else here is. All we have is what has been made public. Does she seem trustworthy to you? Her lies were exposed pretty early. You sound like you want him to be guilty so you can judge him from your moral high ground, because you have zero proof. Imagine if a judge thought like you do.

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

This whole post is just arrogant virtue signaling. Again, you aren’t appalled by sexual abuse any more than me or probably anyone else here. Drop the fake outrage act. Work with the facts.

9. mightybosstone

There's a gray area, dude. Not everything is black and white. Based on three separate accusations, it's 100% safe to assume that Bauer (A) Went too far to the point where these women felt uncomfortable or potentially unsafe; and (B) He's not a ****ing choir boy or someone I would want playing for a sports team I root for. If you can't understand this, then I don't really know what else to tell you, but I think maybe I'm not the one who's sticking too closely to his own assumptions.

Also, I don't know know whatever "lies" you're referencing (and you have you have failed to present any), but a judge has already struck down part of Bauer's defamation countersuit claims. It's unlikely he's going to win any of those suits and we end up exactly in the middle with no one really winning and no one found "guilty" of anything. Welcome to the American justice system!

Nook, IBTL and cbass like this.
  10. mightybosstone

The thing that strikes me as so interesting is how much you're sticking up for a professional athlete who not only doesn't play for the team you root for, but has mostly been seen as a villain by this entire fan base. Why? I see zero reason why any Astros fan would stick up for the guy; it makes zero sense to me.

Also, you reference "facts," but you have failed to present a single one. What "facts?" If you want to talk "facts," how about this:
    - Bauer has admitted to having rough sex with three different women who have all come forward and said it went beyond consensual. He has not denied the rough sex in any of the instances.
    - The LA DA's office didn't think it had enough evidence to move forward with a trial, which is not uncommon. for sexual assault cases, especially those against extremely wealthy professional athletes. The initial woman's restraining order was struck down as well, mostly because the judge felt it was misleading; at no point did she say anything about Bauer's innocence.
    - Regardless of your "innocent until proven guilty" theory, MLB still suspended him for two years, the longest suspension in the sport's history, even after the the suspension was reduced in recent weeks.
    - It's unlikely the Dodgers are bringing him back despite having to pay him $22 million if they decide to cut him. This is a team desperately trying to win another title who could use another ace pitcher.

Looking at all of these actual facts, does this scream "Bauer is clearly innocent" to you? I'm not sure how you could know the above things to be true and still give the man the benefit of assumed innocence. That's just absurd to me.

Nook, cbass and juicystream like this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The facts are as follows. Now pay attention..
    1. Case was laughed out of court. Never got to trial.
    2. Her story has MASSIVE holes, see # 1
    3. You are innocent until proven guilty, which he was not.
    4. Because of the 1st 3 facts, he has a right to continue in his profession, for now.

Dude, you’re clearly biased in your opinion. Im not gonna lay everything out for you, its not my job. However, you can read up on it if you like. You will find that her case is weak and that she isn’t a trustworthy person. That right there should give you pause. If it doesn’t then perhaps look at how it never got to court.

Again, we all hate abuse in all it’s hideous forms. However, those withholding judgement in this case are not repugnant, vile etc. We are just going with the present day facts. So should you. Nobody is defending Bauer because he is an athlete and nobody is withholding judgement because they are ok with sexual abuse. That argument is trash. You are acting like this is open and shut that he is guilty. That is truly naive.

Oh and someone will sign him this year.

12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Please let this tired and pointless argument go for every ones sake.

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I agree. Sorry.

14. mightybosstone

1. Nobody was "laughed out of court." You keep saying that and it has zero merit. As I previously stated, MANY sexual assault cases don't go to court, because evidence is extremely hard to present. Unless she had DNA evidence, it was always going to be a "he said, she said" argument.
    2. What holes, though? I've asked you to present any of the "lies" you claim she made, but you've yet to produce a single one.
    3. He wasn't proven guilty, but that doesn't prove he was innocent either. The DA's statement essentially just said they didn't have enough evidence to make a case.

The team that does will be foolish to and will face massive ridicule as a result, but I can guarantee you it won't be the Astros. This franchise doesn't need him, and he will not be signed by this team.

And now I'm done and back to talking baseball.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

On Bauer:

He was one of the most vocal anti-Astros people on the planet.

He will never be an Astro

Thank goodness.

cbass and Qan like this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I know you wanted the last word. This was never about the Astros, specifically. Read up on the case. She was trying to scam him. Read.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

And he played into it by beating her, so whatever

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Haha.

you don’t know this

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

For those saying Bauer is a monster, what evidence are you basing your judgements on? Please share it. If you don't have any, and are just piling on to accusations, then shame on you. Post your evidence.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hilarious to see the same people who vilified Watson and Osuna are defending Bauer…. The CF racists are at least being consistent…