1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sleeping on Will Levis?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

As draft season unfolds more evaluations and ways to measure the prospects will emerge. Most on this forum see Bryce Young or a QB in 2024 as the best route. I don't necessarily disagree with either approach, however, I believe we maybe discounting Will Levis because he didn't play great this year and his career stats are average at best in CFB today.

I know Levis has been getting hype from Draft Elvis wannabe, but when a guy with 30 years of NFL Scouting and Pro Personnel experience says the kinds of things below, I start to pay attention a little closer... https://www.the33rdteam.com/categor...is-could-be-first-qb-taken-in-2023-nfl-draft/

"I did an impromptu poll with four NFL scouts I trust, and three of them told me he was the best quarterback in the draft. One NFC scout told me, “This [season] is an audition for him to go to a poor NFL team. He proved he can take a beating and keep getting up.” Added another NFC scout: “It is a miracle that he keeps playing every week after all of the hits he takes. He is more banged up than people think — much more.”

When I am evaluating a quarterback like Levis, Ben Roethlisberger often comes to my mind. I remember Big Ben at Miami of Ohio and I watched him overcome so many problems with his own offense. His linemen missed blocks and his receivers struggled to get open. Going through that prepared him to play quarterback in the NFL, and that experience was better training than anything else he did in college.

Levis has all of the tools NFL teams look for. He has the arm, size, toughness, intelligence and enough athletic ability. He runs an NFL offense at Kentucky and can manage a huddle, which many people discount. When studying Levis, there are some ugly games; that has been the history of Kentucky football. As an evaluator, you have to look at what surrounds the quarterback and who they are playing week in and week out."

Levis is big and strong. A sturdy lower body is essential for a quarterback. There are always exceptions, but in the NFL you are going to get hit, you are going to have people roll up on your legs and you are going to take shots.

That is what worries me about Bryce Young, who is listed at 6-feet, 194 pounds. I question if he can take the pounding he will see in the NFL. Playing at Alabama, almost everything goes right in a game for him. He is protected and his skill players are excellent. Levis, on the other hand, has to overcome all of the elements and every play is conflict. Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud experiences very little conflict as well.

Accordingly, you must take everything into consideration when evaluating a quarterback. The quarterback position is the most important decision a team will make, especially when it comes to drafting one. Decision-makers in the NFL will also go back to previous years in their evaluations. In 2021, Levis faced LSU and threw for three touchdowns, ran for two more, and only had three total incompletions on the day as Kentucky won, 42-21.

Less than a month later, he led an offense that scored 42 points against Tennessee, leading the way with three touchdown passes and two touchdown runs. Last year, Kentucky won 10 games and went to a New Years Day bowl.

Ten wins at Kentucky? That will be talked about in draft rooms for sure."

This article is not from a scout, but highlights some of the issues Levis had with the new scheme, play calling and injuries... https://twsn.net/2022/12/dont-let-his-season-fool-you-will-levis-is-still-that-guy

"Mark Stoops long employed a power gap blocking scheme which meant big powerful linemen who played in the 320 to 330-pound range. However, Kentucky has switched to an outside zone scheme utilizing leaner, more athletic blockers. This dramatic shift caused some growing pains in 2022, leaving Levis under a lot of pressure which lead to a few injuries along the way as well. That being said, this wasn’t the only issue.

Play calling left much to be desired as well. Under a new coordinator, the Wildcats struggled to score points and the scheme didn’t translate over as well as expected. Levis was also asked to stay in the pocket which eliminated a major part of his game which is scrambling. Levis struggled compared to expectations because he was handcuffed.

What truly sets him apart is his ability as a leader. Players will rally around this guy. He is always looking to make a play when it is needed and his energy is infectious. Levis is not afraid to strap his team on his back if it is needed, so to speak."

To me this looks like a fair/balanced view of Levis, if you're interested, take some time to read it... https://www.profootballnetwork.com/will-levis-qb-kentucky-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

Levis has had comparison mentioned from Stafford, Burrow, Roethlisberger, Allen and more. I looked back at a scouting report on Allen and some of the same issues were mentioned, but they're not necessarily comparable players. I share this one because uncertainty is there for any prospect and it sometimes boils down to the coaching and system they land with after their drafted. Allen landed in the prefect spot for him to develop and he took advantage of it... https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ys-ultimate-boom-bust-2018-nfl-draft-prospect

Almost every year there is heated debate over who the best QB will be. It's rare to see the Peyton Mannings or Andrew Lucks. Trevor Lawrence looked like a bust until they married him with the right coaching. Now he very well could lead them to the division title in his second year. Whoever we draft we have to pair them with the right coaching team.

If we take a QB at #1 overall, there is a risk with the Top 3 guys. While I'm still leaning #88 or #31, I'll keep an open mind as we transition into draft season.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Very good read and valid points my only thing is…I just don’t feel like he will be ready day 1 he still seems raw to me.

If you could promise me we would sign a vet and let him sit for a year unless last couple of games are meaningless then see what he has then fine I’ll draft him.

STR8Thugg and Shark44 like this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I could get behind Levis, for sure. He makes me feel better about possibly losing out on the number one pick.

What worries me, though, is will he be Blake Bortles 2.0? I don't see him ever being a Josh Allen-type. I think his ceiling is somewhere in between. He definitely has a lot of potential, and I certainly agree about this year prepping him for playing for a team like the Texans.

I think more than Young, Levis requires the right situation. Can we get him into that situation? Our history says no...

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with everything you said except for the last part. Young has to have the right pieces around him or he won’t make it physically.
    Levis can do everything it takes on the field physically, including taking hits. The question is whether he can process fast enough

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I like Levi’s until you watch his tape….

primtim24 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His tape is up and down, there are numerous superstar type plays and then equal amount of wtf plays

Shark44 likes this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Inconsistent you say? We have that in Davis Mills.

Would rather have the guy who makes up for the lack of talent. Who makes plays.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That is literally Levis lol.
    Young isn’t making up for a lack of talent, that’s just nonsense

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree. I like the way guys like Rodgers, Mahomes and others spent some time behind a vet QB. Who would you sign?

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Excuses?

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Brissett
    Jimmy G

Lots of vet QBs who are going to be available

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Is that what that is?
    Maybe you don’t know what excuses are. I’m literally saying his tape is up and down. But there’s no denying some elite games and some terrible ones.
    I know it’s hard for you to understand but those are facts, not excuses.
    Saying Alabama isn’t as talented as UNC or some other lower team is an excuse. Not a single fact about it.

13. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

No one has ever said Alabama isn’t as talented as UNC as a team. If you’re gonna make **** up, no point in debating.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You and I have literally talked about this. You’ve made the claim that receivers are all that matters to QBs and that UNC and USC has better receivers than Bama. First, that’s not even remotely accurate and two Bama has elite talent everywhere.
    Don’t deny your BS statements

15. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I made a long post outlining the consensus on the receivers from all mock drafts because you seem to love mock drafts. UNC and USC both have at least one receiver that will be drafted before anyone from Alabama. Having a number 1 receiver is invaluable to a qb. We see that both in college and in the nfl. If you can explain how that’s incorrect, I’ll concede on this point.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Bortles vaulted up a week QB class to go in Top 5, he also had comparisons to big Ben, so from that perspective you've got a point. They both also need(ed) improvement in recognition and anticipation.

However, his arm wasn't close to Levis and he ran a more limited offense than I believe Levis had done. Bortles threw a wobbly ball that I hated watching, reminded me of Billy Kilmer, but Billy was better.

It's funny I think Allen has regressed slightly without Daboll this year. He seems to be forcing more passes than he did the last 2 years--my impression. So I absolutely agree we need the right offensive mind/system no matter if we draft Young or Levis. We'll see how that's handled. ;)

Wattafan, Big Tex and Two Sandwiches like this.
  17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Processing speed seems like something that can at best be incrementally improved with experience but otherwise he is who he is...

Wattafan and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

For sure. I don’t think we know what his processing speed is yet. He’s still doesn’t have a ton of snaps as a QB. Which in itself is a problem at his age.

whag00 likes this.
  19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude sat out on his team's bowl game. I don't want a guy like that who is so about himself, and not wanting to risk injury so he bails on his team in a bowl game.

20. FEDEXROCKETS13

Watching both games today has ur stance changed on Bryce bc I know after the Bama game I was all about Bryce but Watching stroud I'm like maybe we could trade down and take stroud lol

oelman44 and red5rocket like this.