1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking news: Correa to the Mets!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Dec 21, 2022.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Damn, if Cohen is scared to spend on you, your medicals can't look good at all

2. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Come home to Houston on the midnight train. Will take you broken foot and all. Not sure where you would play or how much we could pay but you’d be welcomed here.

3. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

6/160

Get it done Morey....Lunhow....Click....Bagwell?

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Merry Christmas Carlos!

You might no get what you expected under the tree because of those blasted medical concerns, but you already got $35.1 from the CWS. That's more than 99% of people earn in a lifetime

$350 Giants - Oops!
    $315 Mets - Oops!

But be stubborn, it worked out last time.

6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Wow, the injury must be worse than originally thought. It would be ironic if this deal fell apart, he doesn't sound like he will budge and if you're the Mets and you have issues with this how do you keep the same deal without some type of assurances, he`s almost damaged good at this point, maybe perception, maybe reality but this doesn't look good.

7. vince

vince Member

Mets owner going on record talking about the deal has obviously opened up a door for Carlos’s camp to file a grievance if the deal isn’t suitable to Correas expectations.

But wow, 12 years is a long time. And if Carlos is hamstrung by a degenerative condition, for over half of the contract, irregardless of how much money the Mets have, it will be a tough pill to swallow.

The Beard likes this.
  8. scott_summers

scott_summers Member

Not only that but Carlos having to file a lawsuit just to get them to honor the deal. How would that working relationship be down the line. Like for the next 12 years.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It would be so easy to come to an agreement if they just chose to do so. Playing the won't budge game is very risky. They already blew one opportunity and now they are committing to blowing another. A partial reduction in the guarantee for a singular specific injury should be such a small thing. Not budging leads to the perception it is a legitimate concern that is not negligible whether it is or not.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. jayfree

jayfree Member

Good news for Carlos is there's always the WBC

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They should just put a clause based on the health of the leg/ankle. A 1-2 year buyout if his career is diminished because of it.

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

I think this injury (since it dates back to 2014) will forever hamper his long term contract wishes. A team would easily risk 1-3 years on him and maybe even 5-6 if there's an out clause somewhere in those later years, but anything close to 10+ at this time or even in the years to come (if this Mets deal falls through) may be out of the question. He'll have to play out his contracts a few years at a time, take a drastic pay cut or hope that he performs well enough/plays enough games to not invoke a clause in his contract.

Bregatron and jim1961 like this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Of course the Mets should but that's exactly what Boras and Carlos are trying to avoid. It's the guarantee they want and that's no guarantee.

Complicating this is the fact that the information is public and disclosed now.

Teams rely on insurance to reduce their risk on these large contracts.

This drastically hurts the terms ( or maybe even eliminates the option) of any insurance policy the Mets could get in case an injury forces Carlos out of the game before the end of the contract.

Bregatron, jim1961 and ROCKSS like this.
  14. SuraGotMadHops

He can't opt back in to his Twins deal can he? Has that ship sailed?

I would imagine if two teams have already considered him injured, he would have to have yet another "prove it" year before trying to test the waters again next offseason.

Also, if he knew he was hurt going into this offseason, he should have just opted in with the Twins again and collected another $35M bag.

This dude has really overplayed his hand two offseasons in a row. He may end up kicking himself for not taking the Tigers/Orioles reported offers last year.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I feel terrible for Carlos.

Regardless he has already made 25× more money than I ever will so he's not hurting.

But this may prevent him from being the HOF great that I was hoping to enjoy watching for another 10+ years

16. rockbox

If this was a 5 year deal, the Mets and Giants would have had no issues. The Mets would totally give Correa his twins deal.

17. rockbox

Crazy that it's a injury he had in the minors when he was 19 years old.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That ship has sailed

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What a strange situation. Not the same context, but reminds me of the Horry deal to Detroit falling apart (THANK GOD!!).

I haven't read a ton on this...but I'm not understanding the argument he'd have a grievance. It's my understanding these offers are made subject to a physical satisfactory to the team. The ink isn't on the contract yet as I understand it..right? Honestly, I'm not sure of the mechanics of a deal like this while it's still pending the results of the physical...not sure what anyone has obligated themselves to do at this point. And given that this isn't just one team...but a second team that's come back with these same results, I don't see how it makes sense that he would have a legit grievance or lawsuit against the Mets. Can someone send me the documents to review and the address to send my bill to?

B-Bob, desihooper and jim1961 like this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It sucks for Carlos, especially if the issue was caused by that re-aggravation that was mentioned.

mikol13 likes this.