1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to fire Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Oct 30, 2022.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Bo6 likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets FO actually believes this

major red flag

3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I wouldn't fire him for the sake of firing him, but I would be actively looking for a replacement if someone much better is available. Wish they had made an offer to Danny Ainge. The Brooklyn pick swap is looking worthless this year. Overall Harden trade and other trades are looking very bad. What the Pelicans got for AD is what the Rockets should have gotten for Harden, we have no Brandon Ingram and Pels look like they will get a top pick this year from Lakers.

Dacamel and ashleyem like this.
  4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

If true it will make it hard to trade him like most fans want. The FO seems all in on KPJ and Nix. Wouldn't shock me if they offered Nix a new contract too. I don't trust KPJ to lead this rebuild either but i am prepared to accept it and just hope for the best.. Maybe stone will look like a genius in a few years when KPJ leads us to a ring:)

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sometimes is one of those situations of right place, right time sort of deal. Lakers had young guys and picks trying to win a championship with Bron, so the Pelicans had a very willing partner. The Rocket's, that sort of package was just not available unfortunately. As always, the package was going to be as good as the picks turned out to be. The verdict is still out on it.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

part of me still wants to believe the FO is trolling and just doing all this KPJ at PG nonsense for the rest of the season before getting serious and actually finding a solution at the position this next offseason

at this point, if the FO is really viewing KPJ as a viable starting PG option, Idk what else to say other than they are absolute fools

7. dmoneybangbang

I would hope we are doing this while we still own our pick.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Harden trade is far from a known commodity, but they got 7 years of unprotected control over another team's draft .... I don't think that's ever happened in the (any) league before.
    Considering the age and heath of the Nets core players, odds are the Nets have a downturn within that time and convey at least one early pick ....

Even if they don't send any lottery picks, I think that was still a good risk to take. 7 years is an eternity in the NBA.

roslolian and jim1961 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

11. i3artow i3aller

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’ll give him credit for Sengun and Eason, as well as the Covington trade. I would give him credit for getting KPJ for virtually nothing, but KPJ has actually worked against the prosperity of the team. Consider that Mobley wouldn’t even work out for us as a result. Consider what installing him unilaterally at the point has done for the development of the team. Consider what extending him unnecessarily has done for our cap flexibility and his trade value. I don’t think I can look at the KPJ experience as a big net positive.

All of his other moves have been suspect. The Harden trade, the Westbrook-Wall trade, the Olidipo trade, the PJ Tucker trade, the Wood trade…

here’s the elephant in the room: Stone’s ego. No one wants to work with a GM who is forcing players and rotations onto a coach or playing out of his lane. That’s what Stone has been doing. So he should be judged harshly. That’s fair. When next season starts (yr 4 of the rebuild) I don’t want to hear any excuses. The guy has literally run the franchise into the ground, with no true franchise player to show for it or a significant war chest of assets. It better pay off. No excuses; this trade deadline and offseason should make or break him.

#232 Aruba77, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Hank McDowell and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Could not agree more. His seat should be red hot if the roster isn't more balanced soon. And he damn well better do something with Gordon.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

KPJ wasnt the reason Mobley wouldnt work out for the Rockets, its because it was pretty obvious the Rox were gonna pick Jalen. Even brought him in Tilman's jet prior to the draft. Plus Mobley sucks. If he got drafted here you'd have a meltdown how bad he is on his own, he'd be Garuba+.

KPJ signed an unguaranteed contract so what exactly has he done for our cap flexibility? Wtf. Dude has a 1 yr deal st 15M omg what a deadweight contract :rolleyes:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/kevin-porter-jr-31589/

Here's one thing you dont understand: rebuilding takes time. Even OKC under Presti who had Kevin Durant as their first player of the rebuild+another lotto pick took 3 yrs before they became good. Orlando, Spurs, new OKC....they've been rebuilding for years now. Kawhi was treaded in 2018. Paul george got traded in 2019. Dwight left all the way back in 2012. These teams are all only marginally better than the Rox and started with significantly more assets than the Rox. So its kinda dumb to say "no excuses" in just yr 3 lmao.

It's a testament to Stone and his FO the Rox are at this position in Jalen's 2nd year. I like Jalen but he ain't Kevin Durant. Is that Stone's fault? Not really there was no KD in the last 2 drafts. There's Banchero, but he got stolen by Orlando. Everybody was gonna take Jabari at 3, even if he plays badly now he could still be the BPA at 3. How about letting the 19 yr old play a couple of years before you judge? He already better than rookie Giddey who tore his ligament in the preseason, and look at Giddey now.

To blame Stone for "running the franchise into the ground" has got to be the most ignorant BS I've ever seen. Dude started with the oldest roster jn the league and all the future picks traded. Ran it into the ground, really? His only real assets were James Harden who was throwing balls at teammates, PJ Tucker and Eric Gordon. Ran it into the ground my ass.

#234 roslolian, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    gfab-babyboi likes this.
  15. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I would fire Stone and replace him with Vernon Maxwell! I would actually fire anyone in the front office and replace him Mad Max. We would still suck, but it would be fun!

Arnel, BamBam, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He would still kick KPJ's ass.

Dacamel likes this.
  17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

7 years of nothing still equals nothing.

18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Sadly, this clown organization has the worst of the worst at head coach, gm, and the owner position in this organization. The only way to fix this is to eventually have Fertitta sell and clean house from top to bottom.

Arnel and hakeem94 like this.
  19. i3artow i3aller

fattz, Reeko and roslolian like this.
  20. jb86

jb86 Member

It’s the coach. He is not the right guy for this squad.