1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Cup 2022 - Qatar

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Apr 1, 2022.

1. conquistador#11

Their mention of Mbappe in their 'one minute of silence' conga celebration is ruffling some feathers in the twitterverse. Who else do they name? I can't pick up on them through the singing. Coleman Wales is the other one that's clear.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The kind of thing I would totally do, but after the 5th beer in the locker room...not necessarily when my mom and a few billion people are watching...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Aware

Aware Member

lloris, konate, camavinga
    at one point aguero calls camavinga a d******d

also some pretty typical chants going at brazilians, english and calling journalist that one word that sounds a lot like baguette

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Messi and Mbappe put on one hell of a show. It was like watching one legend go out on top and another taking the torch.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL he did it before

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No arguments but he wasn't there much against England and Morocco.

He isn't even full French, I believe he is of Cameroonian and Algerian roots but like Zidane they tend to play for France.

All those African nations cater to the French national team. Imagine an African team like Morocco actually winning it. It would be no surprise to me if they kept all their players.

Embiid thought about playing for France.

The French are known to be drawing immigrants in for football and sports purposes, just saying, they have it easy to spot 'superstars'.

#1069 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He’s going to…but he needs to leave PSG to do it. He’ll certainly be the all-time leading World Cup goal scorer when it’s all said and done. France is probably the prohibitive favorite for 2026.

So being born literally in Paris doesn't make one "full French"? Why should he have to go play for Cameroon or Algeria just because his parents are from there, even though he was born in the country he plays for? I don't get this argument.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What an amazing final. I've certainly never seen anything like it. Argentina was one of my favorites going in as they were in the midst of a fantastic run of form. The loss to the Saudi's was crazy...but I think it's what led them here. They just needed a little wakeup call. Wasn't sure I'd pull for them after the s***show that was the round of 16 game against The Netherlands. However, they ended up playing some fantastic football. I'm happy for Messi and for my Argentinian friends.

I'm also happy that I don't have to hear or see the soul-less money grab that is Qatar any more. Can't wait until 2026. Saving up already so I can get to all of the games at NRG.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tbf it was a more complex discussion started in the social medias.

It had to do with comparing Messi who comes from small town and as far as I could tell Mbappe already involved in a talent machinery that is the French youth system.

And the OP asked 'Mbappe got more exposure and criticism because he is French' and I answered he wasn't the prototypical 'French' in terms of being exclusively French to be blasted like this.

Yeah, Barca and Messi ended up lucky working together but not every Argentine's way is as smooth.
    (They bounce around quite a bit.)

And to be honest, I was talking about how national teams recruit their players rather than the country they were from.

The French cast out a wider net than Argentina in that respect.

And it is true that old Messi outplayed him in the whole thing despite him scoring a hattrick as the greatest player after Messi.

#1072 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2022
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What a great world cup, simply oustanding.

Yes Qatar sucks for buying it and they are a tiny country with major issues, but the World Cup was fantastic.

DD

Buck Turgidson and Yung-T like this.
  14. RocketsDraftTV

Excuses

so lebron and Durant aren’t American

15. MystikArkitect

Whenever anyone anywhere thinks any sporting event clears the World Cup....show me something else that even comes close to this type of celebration/elation.

You could combine the rest of the sporting events in the world together and they probably still don't come close.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. Aware

Aware Member

Messi is from rosario which is like the 2nd city of argentina lol

People from developing countries will always have it worst but messi was already in the youth system of barcelona as a teen. maybe his family had struggles but messi the soccer player grew up in the best environment possible

The whole "he isnt really from" is not a good one and shouldn't made. people have always moved from place to place and national teams will reflect that. i mean argentina had a guy with the surname "Mac Allister" on their roster

[​IMG]

this is the guys dad. you telling me this dude can say im 100% argentibe but mbappe cant say hes french? cmon bro

ramotadab and daywalker02 like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I got it partly wrong but I was addressing your point that Kylian was attacked on social media, I still stand by the statement that France is basically a talent refinery with the African continent at their disposal.

France is more extreme than the Netherlands.

As you said developing countries have it harder to prevent players from being naturalized/wooed by strong futball countries.

Scouting and discovering Messi is much harder IMO.

#1077 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2022
    Jontro likes this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

mbopp must hate his countrymen right now. hatricked tf outta the finals and confidently took the first of the penalties. but lloris and his teammates spained it hard.

glad messi and di maria got one. now the goat debate is finally answered.

lerbon > ronaldo > mamba > messi

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nearly had the champs electrocuted, always something in South America.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member