1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I guess they think we're getting our backup catcher in the 1st round since we struck out in free agency.

Did they forget about Korey Lee?

J.R. likes this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

MLB Draft is next to nothing about position, and everything about "highest on our board" along with signability, and playing the slot money game. The UVA catcher is also seen as a good bat, and some say he may have a future as a corner OF if he doesn't stick behind the plate.

Kemahkeith and Bregatron like this.
  3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I still believe in staying up the middle for the first couple of rounds. In the third I begin to include RF and 3rd base. After that I am with you 100%.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That makes sense because those are the positions the best athletes are drawn to in HS and College.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Astros will find another Superstar. Maybe later in the Rounds.

#5 rockets1995, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    RasaqBoi and No Worries like this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Astros Draft a SS, Minor Leagues need More Talent.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Astros draft a LF/DH or a CF/C2 since they need to fill holes on their MLB roster next year

or BPA since this is the real world.

Bregatron likes this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Astros draft a Texas player.

BlindHog likes this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Reasonable strategy but I think there’s a good chance you miss out on a lot of value focusing on a particular type of player. E.g taking Korey Lee in the first.

Gotta implicitly trust the amateur scouting department. They haven’t screwed up too many drafts yet.

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

Do teams draft DH's ;)

Madmanmetz and No Worries like this.
  11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Kory Lee is a catcher, he is up the middle. Catcher, Pitcher, Short Stop, and Center Fielder are the positions I look at in the first two rounds. Third Base and Right Field are added to that list in the third round. After the fifth round I include a couple of Second Basemen. If an outstanding First Baseman or Left Fielder happens to fall to me I might be interested but I am OK with not drafting those positions.

12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

that was my point, they wanted a C in the first round but Lee was a terrible value there. He had a 2-4th round grade from most services.

BPA is the way to go IMO. I get the wanting to draft an athlete who can potentially slide down the defensive spectrum easily, but sometimes taking the athlete profile over someone with better skills and/or tools at a lesser defensive position is a worse/the wrong choice.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I do not believe they necessarily wanted a catcher in the first round. I believe they had him as the best up the middle player available. Not sure that he was the BPA but I did not see a clearly better choice in that draft.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

No doubt Up the middle Talent SS, CF, C are Star Positions the Astros can find in Smaller College, Puerto Rico Academy you never know.
    Astros Scouts hopefully found some hidden Gems.

Carlos Correa - Puerto Rico Academy 17 yrs old
    Jeremy Pena - Maine, Rhode Island
    Hunter Pence - Arlington, Texas
    Roy Oswalt - Weir, Mississippi Community College

Mike Trout - High School in New Jersey I believe
    Albert Pujols - Community College - St. Louis Cardinals

No Worries likes this.
  15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Catchers often go earlier than expected. If they liked Lee, but didn't think he'd be on the board in the 2nd they might have reached. Also the slot values have changed things a bit. Given his prospect ranking, they weren't wrong to take Lee.

17. HTown2017Champs

They signed Lee under slot, and used the savings to go over for Colin Barber (5th round).

Nook, No Worries and juicystream like this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Just like Carlos for McCullers.

I still have hope for Lee and Barber. 2023 will be a big year for both of them.

19. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I expect Barber to be a non roster invitee to spring training and he is my favorite candidate to surprise in 2023.

20. HTown2017Champs

I really like Barber, but with the 2020 MiLB season cancelled, followed by injuries in both 2021 and 2022, he is yet to prove he can stay healthy for a full season. This year will be huge for him not only in proving he belongs (I expect him to start in AA after a great showing in A+), but also that he can stay healthy. It's possible he does shake the injury prone label (it can be done), and if so I think he may finish in AAA with a good showing in AA and good health. I hope so, I like Barber a lot. Putila compared him to Bregman with regards to his preparation and approach.

raining threes likes this.