1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Dec 14, 2022.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

My question is this: who’s our Guy? The potential Top 10 NBA player? Once we identify that guy, then we build identity around him and look for pieces around The Guy.

At the very minimum we need a Guy. That’s just a prerequisite to start a conversation about an identity. To start a conversion about a Championship Identity, even that’s not enough. You need 2-3 Guys.

Right now we are one of the worst teams in the league third year running, and NO ONE projects at THE GUY level yet.

KPJ and Green were given all opportunities and were massively featured. Oladipo was given away. Wall was paid $46 mil to just sit and watch. Playing time, shots, possessions, everything. There is progress, undeniable progress. But we DON’T KNOW if either of these two will be That Guy.

WYKYK. Just in our division we have 3 teams that knew very early on: NO with Zion, Mem with Ja, Dal with Luka. We still don’t know about #3 and #4 whether they would even rise to be on Steve and Cat’s level, let alone to be top 10 elite. I like them both. But I still don’t see THAT GUY there. I can see how they may grow into that some day, based on talent, but neither of the two is in that "early Ja/Zion/Luka/ " orbit.

Sengun has not been given the same opportunity. He’s been featured sporadically. He might be THAT GUY, but we DON’T know about him either, he might not be. It takes organizational commitment and some risk-taking to main-feature a non-athletic late pick. DEN made the leap, by shipping Nurkic for nothing, and giving the keys to Jokic. It paid off for them. Rockets are not taking the same leap, far from it. So unless Sengun somehow bulldozes his way to a THAT GUY status, we won’t know for awhile if he’s the foundation or not.

Tari, Bari, Garuba, Jaygup, KJ Martin all have huge potential, but all of them right now max out as a Complimentary All-Star in my view. Some of them may make a leap and claim THAT GUY potential at some point, but right now I don’t see it.

So sorry about this cup of reality juice, but sad truth is it’s too early to talk about "identity".

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not really trying to argue, but if you’ll click the link, that is provably not true. It has not been true at any point in his career. His TO% has gone down, but he never turned the ball over more than he assisted. He turns the ball over the same number of times per game as he always has.

Even if KPJ can get his TO% to trend the same way Steph’s did, he’s still not going to have great value because of his shooting. He’s got a scorer’s mentality, so he’s going to have to completely change the way he plays in order to be effective. Is that possible or practical? Steph’s TO% went down because his usage went up. We cannot expect that (nor should we want it) from KPJ until his efficiency moves in the right direction.

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'm looking forward to the offseason.. Probably the most anticipated one I can recall since I became a fan of the Rockets ....

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, none of that is true for one. Second, the team has been playing great defense the last 4 games.

subtomic likes this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Should be a good one indeed.

High pick and a lot of cap room to spend.

javal_lon likes this.
  6. cbass

cbass Member

Jalen Green is our Guy.

This isn’t complicated.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. larsv8

Sure thing, bud.

We'll just build some motion offense around Sengun....sure.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Better than a 5 out system watching KPJ fail at iso

subtomic likes this.
  9. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’m starting to see that, but still very hazy. Like I said, some guys you just know. The Jalen vision is still very blurry, and not in focus.

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I wasn't even including the high pick in the equation... lol

11. larsv8

I don't think KPJ is part of this team's future.

If you bothered to read my original post, you would see I noted we would be drafting a PG replacement.

I understand that it is hard to read the forum with your head up Sengun's ass.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No need to read idiotic takes.
    And my point still stands, a motion offense in half court set would be a lot more efficient and fun to watch than what is currently being done.

But you keep attaching yourself to simple minded takes

13. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

it is

Tyreke evans was a better player at the same age

14. MystikArkitect

I'm against KPj being the starting PG of this team for the same reasons I'm against Jaesean Tate being the starting SF.

At this point KPj has a select few (loud) backers but the majority of the fanbase as well as NBA circles understands that he isn't the answer just like Christian Wood before him.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The clown returns with some reality juice.

There are a million quotes on here with your sage wisdom, just absolutely filled with humor.

16. Risingred

Risingred Member

Myles Turner may be a slight upgrade over Sengun, but it's going to cost us a lot of assets. Sengun is still under the rookie's contract, so he's a lot cheaper than Turner. We won't be a contender even with Turner. To OP, I think your idea is terrible because not only we would give up a lot of assets, but the worst place any NBA team wants to be is in the middle of the pack. Also, your post like you are the Pacer's representative. I welcome other fans come to our Rockets' board but Pacers' has its own board, just to remind you.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Very well said! I agree with most of your points, however I see a PATHWAY to the Rockets identity and I think it's on the defensive end.

Similar to Toronto, they don't have a GUY but they have a lot of good players/parts that can get them or have gotten them to a Championship level. And that's where I see the Rockets at currently. Actually, I think the Rockets can be better. Toronto doesn't have scorers, outside of FVV, Siakim and Trent.

I still think the Rockets need to make some moves by bringing in the RIGHT FA but first Rafael Stone needs to figure out what direction he wants to go in be it OFFENSIVELY or DEFENSIVELY, he can't be on the fence! Which is where I thought Morey was a lot of the time, he just signed players. There was no method to his madness.

#97 hlmbasketball, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    NewAge likes this.
  18. larsv8

The sooner you realize we aren't building the team around Sengun, the better you will be.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Myles Turner is a FA this year, you wouldn't have to give up anything. No assets, nada!

Or if you elected to trade for him at the trade deadline to see if there is a fit.....Milwaukee's #1 pick and Gordon but nothing more.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. cbass

cbass Member

Meh. Whatever.

Totally different players. Jalen Green is a generational athletic talent.