1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t know much about Anthony Richardson but if he’s years swat from being a QB, he fits our timeline lol

cmoak1982 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Bryce Young gives me Zach Wilson vibes (he is the benched QB of the NY Jets)... but Young is 4 inches shorter and 20lbs lighter.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Pretty obvious you haven’t watched a single Bama game if you are comparing him to Zach Wilson.

Omihall23 likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Silly ****. Who cares if you have a strong arm, but a peanut brain or no feel for the game. Why even play in college? Just stay in the weight room and work on arm strength since that’s the only thing that should matter to some of these people. It’s a disservice to Josh Allen to act like he’s only good because of his arm talent.

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  6. raining threes

His arm is as strong as Tua's is

Brady/Montana didn't have strong arms coming out. This can be improved upon with hard work.

Hurts has really improved his arm strength in addition to his accuracy.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. raining threes

I'm not saying I want Caserio to pick Levis, but he played with much lesser talent around him this yr than Young or Stroud did. Atleast last year he had Wandale Robinson to throw too, which is somewhat comparable to the WR's that Young and Stroud have to throw too.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  8. raining threes

If I was the Bears or Ravens I would pick Richardson in the 3rd rd. So when LJ/Fields got hurt I could plug him in and wouldn't have to change the offense.

red5rocket, cmoak1982 and gucci888 like this.
  9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Yes and last year he was average. It’s not like he was great even with the additional talent. Will Levis honestly looks like the kind of qb that Nick Caserio would pick. Which is disheartening, but we have to face reality. The Texans have shown no ability to coach up qbs. Will Levis is the same age as Davis Mills already and has multiple mental flaws that need to be corrected. That’s a massive gamble. If you’re taking that sort of gamble, you might as well shoot for the stars and go with Anthony Richardson.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Also something I like to think about is the USC offensive line. Try to imagine each of this years qb prospects behind that line and who would likely have success. Bryce Young for sure, but I’m struggling to think of others besides some of the later round ones with more mobility. Not even putting Richardson in there because he wasn’t even good behind his superior offensive line.

raining threes likes this.
  11. raining threes

Yes, probably rd 3 or 4-103 if Caserio wants to draft Duggan.

12. raining threes

This just depends on which QB you think has the most ability to retain information that's taught to him and the work ethic to improve his game. In short which one is Hurts or Trubiski? For the record I wouldn't draft either one of these guys.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

From what scouts said, he will wow in film room. Just needs time

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Josh Allen was dumpster juice his first year in the league. Guys can grow into the position.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Josh Allen is an outlier. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane is the perfect description of Will Levis currently. He’s coming into the league at a much older age as well, so if he’s so bright in terms of football acumen why hasn’t any of that shown on the field? Jalen Hurts improved every single year in college and in the nfl. Josh Allen the same. Yet Will Levis is 24 and it hasn’t show up at all. He’s more likely to be Mitch Trubisky than Josh Allen.

mario_v likes this.
  16. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

This is a baseline requirement, but also can be fools gold. Big difference between regurgitating stuff on a whiteboard with little pressure or time constraints and doing it on the field with less than 3 seconds to make a decision.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Makes sense. Arm talent and size are so incredibly important in the NFL. College results are seriously overrated by fans -- thankfully Caserio is sharper than this. I think Bryce Young is going to fall significantly on the draft board.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Maybe. Not all QBs hit the NFL ready day 1. You cant teach arm talent. You can teach read and recognition skills. Alabama has professionals teaching those kids. Kentucky does not.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s 23.
    And didn’t you say you like Hooker? Who is a year older than Levis

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

2 things:

Washington is all projection at this point. In 3 seasons he has caught fewer than 50 balls and caught a whopping 3 TDs. Now, I love him based on where I project him to get. But I am not certain a team is going to drop a FRP on that production. Even a guy with his traits.

As for Richardson, he is all projection too. However, he is a QB. So the gamble has higher payoff if he hits. Also, he more than any other player I can think of, is the guy you want that 5th year option on that comes with being selected in the first.

This year there is a gamble with every prospect. While I am not in love with the bust potential of Richardson, if he hits that guy has Randall Cunningham potential. I think he needs a full season working on his game but that guy, if he hits, changes a franchise.

I have been on Cameron Ward's bandwagon for a while now. Id love him in the 3rd if he comes out. I think you build a good oline and rushing attack and that guy has the talent to be really good. Just not sure Casserio is that much of a gambling man. That is risky.