1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Hence why I said anyone can play with numbers. There have been far fewer short qbs, so even if only a few have succeeded, their overall success rate is much higher than taller qbs.

Sooty, Rudyc281 and houstonstime like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

With respect, this is the absolute wrong way to use statistics. The right way to think about the math here is as follows,

A) # of successful quarterbacks over 6' tall divided by total pool of NFL draft eligible QBs above 6' tall = success rate for "tall quarterbacks"
    vs
    B) # of successful quarterbacks at or below 6' tall divided by total pool of NFL draft eligible QBs at or below 6' tall = success rate for "short quarterbacks"

An alternate way to look at it is much simpler: How many good quarterbacks are over or under 6' tall? In 20 years the number of good QBs UNDER 6' tall can be counted on one hand. It's very rare. And there's your answer, folks. There is broad consensus in the scouting community that being short is a severe disadvantage for a QB. Why step into a disadvantage with the number 1 overall pick? It's illogical.

3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He dominated 18, 19- and 20-year-old kids.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Flaw with your logic is that most QBs under 6' tall are also not good enough at the college level to succeed. The ones that do, like Bryce Young, are the ones that are special

houstonstime, Fulgore, Sooty and 2 others like this.
  5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

On the contrary, that's the beauty of my logic. Most short quarterbacks can't even cut it in the college ranks. It becomes that much harder when they get to the NFL level of competition. Which is why short quarterbacks are severely disadvantaged and should be avoided. The odds are stacked heavily against them. The Bryce Young supporters are similar to people who buy scratch offs lottery tickets at the convenience store because they remember one time when they won. And forgot the 99 times when they lost. Same goes for short QBs succeeding.

6. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Ryan Mallet has some great measureables and a massive arm!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bryce Young:
    [​IMG]

How Bryce Young is talked about:
    [​IMG]
    He’s not ****ing Trindon Holliday out there. :D

Rudyc281, ROXRAN, whag00 and 4 others like this.
  8. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Very poor analogy. All qb prospects are scratch off lottery tickets because no one is perfect. Bryce Young is considered the best qb prospect in this class because he is better than the others in almost every area of quarterbacking except for his size. They all have a slim chance of success because that’s how difficult it is to play qb in the nfl.

I think it’s smarter to bet on someone who is missing one real trait in size than other qb prospects that are missing traits in multiple areas. Stroud probably isn’t going to develop mobility that he doesn’t have or the ability to play well under pressure. Levis and Richardson are deficient in numerous areas.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Who’s that he’s next too?

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

QB Robby Ashford…

Listed as 6’3

Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Bryce looks pretty good right there next to him

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

72E6C467-ECD7-4C7F-B59D-1731A3BB1DA3.jpeg

Next to CJ Stroud, who is 6’3 as well. We will see how tall he is

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Looks 5'8" there.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Could the guys who want to draft Bryce Young offer me a blueprint on how he will be successful here with Lovie and Pep?

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There’s pics where he looks 5’11 and some where he looks pretty short. It’ll be interesting to see what he measures at-if he measures at all.
    If he’s under 5’10 are you comfortable with that?

Rudyc281 and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Is measuring height/weight a requirement at the combine? I'd venture to guess Young coming in officially at sub 6'/200lbs could really cause him some issues being drafted high or even more at #1 overall. I'd also guess he would want to get out there and show off his arm. Did anyone take over the Gruden camps when they would put these guys through chalkboard sessions and pick their mind and see how they process football scenarios? I think Bryce would do good at that.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You don’t have to do any testing at combine but it would look really bad if he didn’t measure. If he knows he’s going to measure on smaller side he needs to show the goods in physical testing imo

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

It’s not going to do anything because everyone already knows he’s under 6’ and 200 lbs. People acting like this is brand new information is just silly. That this is common knowledge and still nearly every former nfl qb thinks he’s the best qb prospect goes to show just how special he is. Conversely it does also shine a light on the weakness of this qb class from a projection standpoint at the moment. I wouldn’t be comfortable selecting any other qb besides Young before our 3rd round pick.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

They won’t be here

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would guess he'll be 5'10.5" -5" 11" probably like 190-195.

I'm not comfortable with that necessarily, but I know that results like his on the field speak for themselves.

I know that every year there are guys that produce in the NCAA that drop in the draft because of something measurable or another. They still end up producing in the league. Though this typically happens with skill positions and slow 40 times, I distinctly remember this happening with Russel Wilson and wondering how in the hell he fell that far.

I don't see any way he's under 5'10". If he is, it would be something to think about at 1.1. Problem is, even if he was under 5'10", I'd still probably draft him between 5-10, and you can only draft where your pick is. Don't lose out by getting too cute.

#120 Two Sandwiches, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Rudyc281, Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.