1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

And this still cost the 49ers 3 first-round draft picks and I totally agree both Williams/Maye are far far superior prospects. The argument that we need to build up the rest of the roster before worrying about QB really gets thrown out the window when the suggestion is we should burn even more draft capital trading up for Williams/Maye if we don't land as one of the two worst teams in the league next year. Tired of giving this franchise passes for kicking the puck down the road which BOB got away with for years - if we miss on Williams/Maye, their messaging becomes "don't judge our performance until we have a franchise QB, Archie Manning should be eligible in a few years!"

Nook, Rudyc281 and Omihall23 like this.
  2. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm not saying his height isn't a concern, but Kyler Murray, Russ Wilson, Drew Brees? Is there a relative consensus on BY's actual height given he is listed as 6ft? If he can be as good as Kyler without the personal drama I think that's a success and worth the first pick personally.

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  3. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Based on enough photos out there, I'd say he's probably 5'10. 5'11 at the most. His offensive line is nfl size at Alabama and he's had no issues throwing over the middle so I don't think height is the real concern. Now if he's been playing at 185 lbs as its been rumored, that's more of a concern although I don't think he often takes big direct hits because he's shifty and its harder to hit shorter qbs. For his size he seems to have good functional strength. He's been able to shrug off tackles from much bigger players at times. He appears to have a slight build and if he could add some more muscle throughout that would help alot, but he doesn't appear much bigger from a muscular standpoint from year 1 at Alabama to year 2, so not sure if he just hasn't focused on it, or he just has a difficult time putting on weight. I'm sure he knows its a concern so I would be surprised if he isn't at least 195 lbs at the combine.

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

The scut-butt is that Bryce is around 5'10'', 186 lbs. Murray was 5'10'', 207 (much sturdier). Brees was 6', 213 (bigger and taller). Russ was 5'11'', 204. From what I have read, the last QB even selected in the draft at where Young is rumored to be was Seneca Wallace in 2003. And he was a fourth round pick. We are discussing the first overall pick here. I just fear that even if Young is talented enough to be a top QB he is going to have troubles staying healthy when he is smaller than most D1 freshmen QBs.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Feels like NFL rules are getting away from the big hits on the QB. As proof you just posted, teams are more open to taking guys like that now. If size is peoples only concern then Young is probably the best option to take number 1.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. sydmill

sydmill Member

Not sure how you got that from my post. The fact that, across 10 drafts, not one NFL team has selected a QB with the suspected measurements of Bryce Young in any round does not lead me to the conclusion that Young is the best option first overall. If he is the pick, I will support him and I will admit I had my reservations if he succeeds but I'm out at 1.1.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That is fine as everyone has their opinion, but what would you do?

8. Buck Turgidson

To play devil's advocate: I'm pretty sure there weren't (m)any NFL-caliber QB's with his suspected measurements and skillset to chose from.

Two Sandwiches, cmoak1982 and sydmill like this.
  9. sydmill

sydmill Member

Well that begs many a question.

Buck Turgidson and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

Plan 1A: Will Anderson at 1.1 and hope Bryce's size pushes him to the Cleveland pick. My hesitation with Young is tied to the fact we would pass up the best prospect in the draft to select him as much as it is me being leary of the top pick in a historically small QB. I am much less concerned selecting him at 10 or 12 with Anderson already on board.

Plan 1B: Will Anderson at 1.1 and trade back to the late teens for an extra Second. Select Anthony Richardson with second first rounder.

Plan 2: Promise Cameron Ward that he would be the pick in round 3. Build the defense and the run game over the offseason and hand the starting gig to Ward when he is ready (6 or 8 games in). If he doesnt seem to be the guy then look for one of the guys next year (Williams, Maye, etc). I think with a grade A run game that Ward could be electric on play actions and his arm is up there with just about anybody.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

My father worked with Vince Young quite a bit in high school..... he was humble and a hard worker........ that eventually changed, and emotional and mental struggles did him in. He was never going to be an amazing NFL QB long term with the issues he had.... his work ethic with the Titans was terrible at worst and inconsistent at best. As soon as he had any success in the NFL, he stopped working hard.

Shark44, Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. Mattician

Mattician Member

Bryce Young is not a quarterback I'd take with the first overall pick.

El_Conquistador and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was a case of a "million dollar body and a ten cent brain". 100% of his problems were between the ears, he could have been one of the best ever if he had just gotten out of his own way.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray have stocky builds, making them more durable than most. Of course, Kyler just got severely injured last night... and has tasted no playoff success to speak of. Drew Brees is arguably the most accurate passer in NFL history. A special player.

If your case for Bryce Young is that Murray/Brees/Wilson have succeeded at the position despite being small... then I'd remind you that this is only 3 quarterbacks out of hundreds over the past 20 years. Those are absolutely terrible odds. And there is no justification for risking those odds with the first overall pick in the NFL draft. We cannot mess this pick up. Bryce Young is too small to be drafted #1 in the draft.

15. Buck Turgidson

Of course, it was a non-contact soft tissue injury, which don't discriminate based on size.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If he can't dunk he #aintmyquarterback.

17. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

The percentage of qbs 5'11 and under who succeed in the nfl is higher than the qbs 6'0 and over. Anyone can play with numbers. Those who become obsessed with them to the exclusion of any other information are the ones who miss out on opportunities.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

They take Bryce Young, I'm 100% in... They don't, I'm 100% out!... As if it matters lol

tmacfor35 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Please back up this assertion. On its face, it appears to be totally wrong.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I was going to respond something similar to your original post. I feel like of the QBs under 6' that are good enough to get drafted, they also have worked in the league.

Quick google search tells me there have been 8 QBs under 6 foot. If we just go from 1980-present, we have:

Senaca Wallace
    Russ Wilson
    Kyler Murray
    Doug Flutie

Others older than 1980:

Eddie Labaron - ROY, 4 time pro bowler 1950s
    Davey Obrien - Literally the trophy for best QB is named after him, 1930's
    Sonny Juergenson - 1960s, NFL champ, 4 time all pro, 5 time pro bowl
    Pat Haden - 1970's, 1 time pro bowl

I would argue maybe 1 or 2 out of 8 (Wallace and Haden) have not done that well? so 75% success rate. Vs QB's over 6ft where you cant even find 75% of the last 4 drafts being that good.

Rudyc281 likes this.