1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Cubs, Rays, Astros are the primary teams left that want a catcher.

The catchers still on the market include:

Gary Sanchez
    Omar Naevarez
    Tucker Barnhart
    Austin Hedges
    Jorge Alfaro

In trade:
    Danny Jansen
    Yasmani Grandal
    Travis DÁrnaud (maybe)
    Luis Campansano

Recently gone from the market:
    Wilson Contreras
    Sean Murphy
    William Contreras
    Mike Zunino
    Christian Vazquez

#5961 Nook, Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  2. Nook

Nook Member

They already signed two players.... and finished second on Contreras.

As for Conforto and the second year, it is a full player option that would only be exercised if he sucks or is injured.

Boras is counting on the Astros or someone else giving in.

I am not saying you are wrong, but the Astros have never been a team to over-pay under Crane.

As for Vasquez, maybe they should have come up another 2 million a year to sign him, I don't think he is all that great but it is debatable.

As for Contreras, giving a 5th year to a catcher that has issues calling games and is already 30 years old is problematic.

If I were to criticize them for anything at this point, it would be that in hindsight they should have just signed Verlander and a mediocre back up catcher and whoever falls in the LF sweepstakes and doesn't get a good contract.

Having said that, the approach the Astros have taken is smart long term.

3. Jeremy Williams

If we are pinning our hopes on his shoulder, prepare for a long season.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Would you give up Urquidy and a prospect ranked 5-10 in the Astros system for Danny Jansen to catch?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Considering he can hit well enough to DH and the Astros expect to be really great over the next 2-3 years, Contreras having a 5-year contract would not be that problematic. Worst case scenario is that the Astros are great for 5 more years and stuck with an overpaid DH for a couple of years after getting a good value for him as a C/DH in the 1st 3 years of the deal.

Astros still have a great team so it isn't too big a deal. Mostly, it would have put the Astros in a very comfortable position versus other AL West teams (i.e., it would have taken even more luck/money for the Astros to get caught).

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

On the Blue Jays end, do they need another SP after the Bassit signing?

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If he is decent defensively, then probably, but I would want it closer to the 8-15 range. I would do it just because we have a lot of good pitchers and pitching prospects

8. Nook

Nook Member

The Blue Jays never have enough pitching.

It mostly comes down to trying to come up with what is proper value for Jansen.

IF the Astros some-how managed to get Jansen and the cost is somewhat reasonable, they would probably feel pretty good about their catching situation for the next couple years.

Maybe Jake Meyers and other pieces to the Jays, but then the Astros are down another centerfielder.

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I think that’s got to be a yes, right? We can cover for Urquidi with a FA inning eater like Kluber or cueto. I assume the question is opportunity cost - what else could we get for urquidi. I have no idea but on its face, seems like a good buy with those trade chips

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Brown, Leon, Gilbert, and Diaz are the Top 4 and the Astros signed a FA SP, I'd be willing to trade Urquidy and all the prospects ranked 5-10 for Jansen.

11. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I would trade Urquidy and 5-10 ranked prospect for Jansen.

12. Major

Major Member

The market has changed ... for now. It's also eating up everyone's payroll capacity. There are more players than there are needs, which means there are going to be decent players available later in the offseason at dirt cheap prices.

Increasing prices for free agents benefits a team like the Astros - homegrown talent is that much more valuable. Notice that basically all the star players are scattering to different teams - that's also perfect for the Astros, because it means none of the opposition is able to concentrate talent the ways the Astros currently have.

Everyone else is still chasing the Astros so they are having to reach out of desperation. But the Astros have the luxury of standing pat and picking up solid role players on the cheap once this initial frenzy dies down. The way you sustainably win in any sport is to zig when everyone else is zagging - it's basic moneyball. If everyone else is chasing a handful of free agents, you find your value elsewhere.

13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

For Kirk yes

14. Landry's Tooth

He's not worth a cy young winner?

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

Did Bassist get 5 year extension 2 years before free agency?

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's a very reasonable debate.

I'm just saying that things change and doing things things the way you have always done them, despite changing dynamics is not always the best way.

It should be a two way street.

For 6 years impact and/or above average players are paid significantly less than their performance would dictate or what more experienced players make for equal and sometimes less performance.

Why is it terrible if one of those players decides he wants a bit of security by asking for a 2nd year option now that he has finally earned the ability to have some control over his career?

Now I realize that Conforto didn't outperform his prearb and arb years as an Astro so the Astros didn't benefit. But why do fans always side with the owners on these matters?

At some point players should have some security based on the 6 years they put in and in KY opinion Confirto's 2 year option request is reasonable with minimal long term risk to the Astros.

17. Landry's Tooth

You can get a cheaper bat at DH with similar production... look at what Renfroe and Teoscar cost in trade...

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If the Astros sign another SP like Kluber or Cueto I would in a heartbeat.

Now, the pitching depth is more important.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree with a lot in here. My main concern with waiting is that FAs at places the Astros can improve easily are almost gone. The Astros don't have much to trade except for players that would already be Astros (i.e., the amount of MLB short term value added in a trade is mitigated some by the loss of outgoing MLB short term value).

20. Major

Major Member

No one knows how much money Conforto will sign for. No one knows if he's even healthy enough to play. Someone will likely accept his price - nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't mean anyone is siding with owners. But the Astros aren't desperate and don't absolutely have to be that team. At this point, do we even know if he's better or worse than Brantley?