1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The A's, especially when they are rebuilding, dig really really deep into the farm systems of the rest of the league because they know they will be moving players off their big-league roster in trade and also because they hope to possibly uncover some gems that other teams miss. That is clearly what the A's are doing with this move. Sometimes it works out well and sometimes it does not. However, it also is an indication of how hard it is to get an idea of what is a reasonable trade involving the A's.

The A's also really don't mind value on the margins. They are willing to take on a bunch of middle of the rotation starters and 3-4 WAR corner outfielders and infielders when other teams swing for the fences.

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

People here really don't like Brown do they?

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are still trying to make moves through free agency and trade to improve the team.

I don't think they will deviate from what they have always done under Crane (assess the value of a player and stay in that range), but they are still talking to teams about trades and have open offers to players still on the market.

It may work out that the Astros end up with an underwhelming return the remainder of the off season, but it won't be because of a lack of effort or desire. or complacency.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and raining threes like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I like Brown, I think he has a medium value of a #3 starter. Roughly similar to Lance McCullers.

That is pretty valuable, but if you are going to give me something above that value, and it maximizes the window to win World Series, then I will deal him.

6. Landry's Tooth

My think would be 5 year extension for about 130... he might get more years but I don't see him getting Cole money yet...

7. prospecthugger

The stolen bases are the only thing that jumps off the page about Ruiz. Maybe the A's think that will make him a difference maker, especially if any rule changes make stealing bases easier. Maybe they're just desperate for something exciting to happen at their stadium.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

there are only a few people but they post a lot.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

At this point, I think Brown is untouchable unless someone is giving us an all-star potential player with least 2 full years of control in a position we need. Cole or Verlander type trade but with a position player.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are only two types of players. Those who may never reach there and those who may never reach there again. Everyone who does is a surprise.

11. Yordan The Great

If Bassitt is getting 21, Burnes is north of 30.

12. Yordan The Great

I would take Kirk.

He's basically Bregman in terms of plate discipline (more walks than strikeouts last season).

That would be quite the coup to get him.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  13. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

yeah a lot of people are saying the A's got screwed on the deal.

14. Jeremy Williams

Baerga predicting Carlos resigns with Twins.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think a single poster on this site “doesn’t like Brown”. Some posters (myself included) simply understand the high risk carried by pitching prospects (even the best ones) and are open minded to the idea of trading Brown for the right value that will increase Houston’s odds of winning another World Series.

The Beard and prospecthugger like this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

I'm a little irritated we let Vasquez walk like that. Maldy certainly has his value for what he does, but at his age and offensive limitations he shouldn't block the team from signing a good primary catcher. We're going to find ourselves scrambling for a backup catcher again when we could've gone into the season with Vasquez as the starter and Maldy as the backup.

If Yuli can receive the come to Jesus talk that the team needs an upgrade, Maldy can receive that same talk.

It would be different if Vasquez was just a stop gap last season for Lee to be ready this season, but Lee ain't it IMO.

17. Jeremy Williams

Thats a misunderstanding. We didn’t let him walk. He ran.

18. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Crane and the Astros keep saying they are aggressively pursuing players to improve the roster but are they?

I can go to every jewelry store in my local mall with $1000 to buy a $2000 ring.

When I get 12 "NO's" I can go home and tell my wife I aggressively tried to buy her a ring.

The market has changed. Every player is getting more years and more money than anyone predicted.

If the Astros aren't adjusting they aren't trying.

Just cave and give Conforto 2 years. It's the best, shortest alternative

Big picture what does the 2nd year hurt based on alternatives?

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Uncle Mike going to be our #7 hitter most likely