1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We have ammo to trade

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

No team is trading out of those spots if the QBs are as great of prospects as you guys believe. You can trade up for a Trey Lance because he’s really a huge gamble and not anywhere near the prospect that Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are projected to be. All we ask in these discussions is that people be reasonable. No GM with a top 2 pick next year is trading out of those spots unless they already have a franchise qb in which case they probably wouldn’t be there in the first place.

Fiah, noscrusir, whag00 and 3 others like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Nice find

zeeshan2 likes this.
  5. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I think sometimes it’s hard to assess how truly strong a qbs arm is because some qbs throw it hard all the time while others have more touch. And then there are cases where a qb truly has nothing more in the tank. Deshauns arm strength was stronger in the nfl than it was at Clemson. Hard to say if it just improved because he was further removed from his acl injury or because of mechanics, but if anything Tia’s arm strength may have actually went down. Likely because of his significant hip injury. Young has a very fast release and he can throw off platform and while on the run very easily. Functionally, his arm strength is very good even if it’s not Josh Allen or Mahomes level.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The kid has arm talent. I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.
    That’s not the issue. He has everything you look for or should look for in a QB………….except size

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Jags & Trevor Lawrence had the first overall pick this year.

You obviously don’t punt one elite QB this year on the hope you can draft another one next year. But you also don’t draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB if a better (non-QB) prospect is available.

The Texans will be 1.1 contenders next year.

#67 Hey Now!, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    oelman44 likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

No no no sir. We are over here proclaiming he isn’t in the same arm talent level as Mahomes yet it shows he’s very much there…. Don’t back off your take.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn’t show that at all lol
    He doesn’t have the arm Mahomes does. And I’ll wait til there’s an even testing field. If he throws 60 mph at combine then and only then I would be impressed.
    He’s not on the level of Mahomes or Allen.
    He’s not even on level of prime Rodgers or Lamar in terms of overall arm strength.

Now, he does have arm talent. That’s not deniable, I’ve never said he doesn’t have arm talent. In fact I’ve said he has elite overall arm talent since last year. But that’s accuracy and platform throws more so than strength.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Impressive

Boii and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is going to sound like I'm backing off my initial post, but I'm not.

In saying that we have to draft Young, we have to draft a QB. The only other acceptable option (besides Young at 1.1 or trading back up for Young) to me is to bet on upside by taking Anderson or Carter at one, and then taking Anthony Richardson with the Browns pick.

The problem with this is that you're betting on upside, and if it doesn't pan out, you're really setting yourself back by years, as you won't know for a few years if it pans out. Richardson also wouldn't be able to start this year, so you'd probably have to sign a Brissett for a year. Also, Richardson would most definitely need a new, strong offensive staff (as would Young, imo).

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d rather take Young. Richardson is a waste of a pick.
    If you’re going upside, take Levis, Ward, Duggan or McCall. 3 of which can be had outside the first

Two Sandwiches, Rudyc281 and gucci888 like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You're right that expecting to be the worst team is super doubtful. Same way its a gamble to pick a small QB and HOPE his size doesnt limit him in the NFL and he becomes an outlier of sorts. Damned if you do damned if you dont. Biggest issue with this team is that they have guys calling plays that dont belong in those roles. The game has passed Lovie by and they are just here babysitting. If I was being honest I knew this team would be bad, but I didnt expect like ALL TIME bad from them. Not sure how one offseason would really propel them towards more wins especially with a rookie QB with bad coaching. I wouldnt expect teams to trade out of the higher spots next year, but I could see a reality where Houston is one of them regardless of what happens this offseason.

It sucks for passionate fans who create awesome and creative scenarios that make complete sense on both sides of a discussion and then have to deal with the fact that no single player vet or rookie would be able to succeed here under the current regime. Football being the supreme team sport it REQUIRES good coaching. Talent will not get it done when you have so many positions and responsibilities to account for on every single play.

If you guys add the disclaimer that Lovie and Pep are gone with the addition of Bryce Young Im on board. Im not looking forward to watching him get crucified the same way David Carr was thats just not fun.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’ve been saying that comparison!!!

Fulgore likes this.
  15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Bryce is about 5'10 190 pounds. That's not good for the NFL. They should rather draft a defensive need to improve the defense, and an OL to protect Davis Mills. I know Davis Mills is bad but is better for the team to suck again next year than draft another average quarterback with the first pick. They can always find another Head Coach, or an offensive coordinator to see IF they can improve Davis Mills. If not, so what? They'll get a shot for another top 5 pick next year.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He’s dominated the best conference in college football for years and while it’s not the NFL it’s pretty close..

Going to be very interesting to see how Caserio feels about Bryce.

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

Both because I am such a believer in Will Anderson and because I worry about Young's size I am leaning the Will Anderson/Anthony Richardson route. Richardson is raw but his tools are almost unfair. If he puts it together he is Randall Cunningham 2.0. But, if he doesnt, he does set the whoel organization back. Just think its a better bet that a raw athletic QB realizes his potential (a la Lamar Jackson and others) rather than Bryce Young becomes the first QB at his size to see the type of success we all want to see for the Texans.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I've seen this too but I think it's flawed reasoning to use this to suggest what the Texans should do here. Bottom-line is we need a franchise QB bad and there's no guarantee you'll have the opportunity to take a similar caliber quarterback next year or the year after. I'd maybe think differently if we just had the one pick but we have two first-round picks - I don't trust this team enough to not take a QB here, I would just read this as Casserio or whoever else kicking the puck down the road for job security.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He’s replacing Mills and KPJ. I like

Caesar, cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.