1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Uh, sir have you ever watched Young evade pressure. Lol

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely, he’s elusive for sure. But I don’t think he’s overly quick or explosive. Mahomes is quick in short areas, he’s a stronger athlete than Bryce.
    Plus, Mahomes and Young arm talent isn’t even in the same conversation. Improvisational skills is more than just with your feet. Mahomes just threw a no look lob on a full sprint and led McCkinnon flawlessly.
    Not ready to say Young can do that, because he “thinks fast”

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. tmacfor35

One of if not the most dominating QB performances in college football against NFL talent.

Yeah, he is every bit the athlete you claim Mahomes is.

Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There’s no claim to it, Mahomes has elite agility, coordination, balance and dexterity. Along with a top two arm in the league, possibly top 5 all time.

Young is a solid athlete, similar to Mahomes, but not as strong or explosive. And not even close in terms of arm talent-which often gets overlooked when talking about athleticism.

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I'm not biased at all but the answer to the question you tried to ask is Vince Young vs USC ;)

sydmill, Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You draft this kid! He has it ALL; agility, quickness, IQ and the arm (at the 12:00 min mark he threw a 60 yd pass on a dime).

I'm not concerned about his size, within 2 yrs they'll have him up to 210-215. He will definitely need lower body strength.

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn’t have it “all” size is one of the most important factors to being a QB. Elite athleticism if you don’t have requisite size. He has neither of those.
    He does have everything else-although he doesn’t have a big arm. Solid, NFL caliber arm, just not Mahomes/Allen type

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If there is a new HC/OC in place I would be fine with drafting any QB. At least you are not wasting time with lame duck managers. Start completely fresh. Im not sure any college QB out there could come into this situation and find success.

My perspective does not have Mahomes as a comp for Young - that is a big stretch. I like Young. He is a good processor and shows poise in the pocket. Trying to brush away the elephant in the room regarding his size is just too far IMO when that is the single most concerning thing regarding him as a prospect. The guy is 5'10 and 185. Those size players in the NFL are just a recipe for disaster especially with this porous interior OL. Best case would be to have your OL in place and a defense that can stop other teams before you introduce the franchise QB, but I can also understand those that argue the QB is the single most important position on the team. THIS team just has too many holes to go shopping for a QB when the big board shows the position is not the strongest at pick #1. Never draft for fit when you have so many holes.

Shark44, cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. tmacfor35

I think with the right people and coaching around him. Vince would have had an amazing career. He was more talented than Jalen Hurts and Tua who are having incredible years in their own right.

He got ruined by his environment, but truly an incredible player.

Two Sandwiches, sydmill and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I’m slightly taller than Young with practically the same body type. 200-205 would be possible, but difficult for me. 210-215 damn near impossible, especially to maintain. I think Young will settle into the 195-205 range.

I think Young has elite agility, but overall is a good athlete, not an elite one. That’s fine because his play style isn’t really similar to Kyler Murray. Kyler relies on his athleticism to play. Doesn’t watch tape as much as he should and isn’t a high level mental processor. Young is the complete opposite. When young scrambles it’s because he has to and it’s clear he know exactly where all his options are at all times. He’s not playing backyard football, so he doesn’t need to be an elite athlete.

11. conquistador#11

I hear this a ton. It sounds footballsmart but in order to have all that in place, it would take any team 3-4 years. Once you do have that, along with a bridge qb, you're going to be 8-9/ 7-10 or so. So many things have to go your way for a holy phenom at QB to be available at 10th or 12th. In the end, it's basically just as difficult waiting for the perfect scenario or drafting one with a top 5 pick and having him be the franchise guy.

My thing is if Young is your guy you don't even think about it. You get him. The Texans are going to be a top 5 bad team again next season so you can get away with punting on a qb for another year. More than that and you're playing with fire with Cal in the room. Coaching staff gets wiped out, GM gets wacked and now the new guys have an entire type of QB they like. It's either this year or next but you have to take the leap of faith for Nick.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its a gamble no doubt about it. Texans have some extra picks to try and get creative in move up situations next year. There are a handful of guys who could really improve the QB position for us this year or next so its not so much as a specific player vs having the framework in place not to squander years on a rookie QB contract.

I'd guess you could shore up the IOL with mid round picks and some free agents. If you were to go defense in this draft you could presumably add two high level players to get that side of the ball stocked with talent. It would position you next season to go get the QB and the skill players at the top of the draft to compliment Pierce and hopefully have the mastermind calling plays to utilize everyone's strengths.

Im cool if they get Young, but Im not cool if people expect Lovie and Pep to extract the most from him.

14. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

My ideal scenario the next two drafts: Anderson & Caleb Williams as our 1.1s + an elite WR prospect and an elite interior lineman (either side). That, right there, is a foundation that could get me excited.

16. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Yes playing Madden GM is exciting.

javal_lon, Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The own 6 1s + 2s in the next two drafts; they'll be picking 1.1 next year & may have 2 in the top 10. They will suck in 2024.

I mean, this could very easily be their reality...

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

There's nothing easy about it. The draft is no guarantee of anything. We were just as bad last year and still didn't have the number 1 pick. We'll have cap space along with picks this year and yet we're still supposed to have the number 1 pick next year? That's possible, but nothing any GM should be planning for in a serious manner.

Rudyc281 and javal_lon like this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

There is no guarantee that the Texans will have the worst record again next year, if they don't, now what? No Williams and no QB after passing on Young this year.

Rudyc281 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think it's crazy to be staring a 1.1 in the face with a legit franchise quarterback available (albeit with size limitations, which some may think are deal breakers) and want to punt to next year. There are too many variables. You simply don't do that.

Which is why I am worried the Texans might just do that.

That being said, I think Young's stock will only rise from here on out. The size limitations are obvious. The combine performance, on and off the field, should elevate his stock even more.

I think he's a sure fire number one by time the draft rolls around.

Rudyc281 likes this.