1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There's no way around it.

Forget the Drew Brees comps. That's who I was comparing him to even recently. His best comp is Mahomes or a better version of this year's Tua. Laugh all you want. If the guy was 6'3" or taller, he'd be a generational quarterback prospect. No way around it.

This franchise is dead in the water. It needs a shot in the arm. Forget who is coming out next year or in two years. Those guys may end up going the Spencer Rattler route. You've got to make your move now to maximize the Watson haul.

If Young pans out, and those other guys are still good, we can turn next year's two first into potentially three or four by trading back, if we're bad enough. Problem is, if you take a wide receiver with your second first round pick, we may not be bad enough to to have a high pick.

Young is possibly the best quarterback we will get a shot at. Dude is good. He's accurate on the run, he is slippery, he's got enough arm, great vision, unquestioned character, everything you want. He has great chemistry with Metchie, to boot.

This franchise is in such a desperate palace, and such a dumpster fire, ownership will reach for anything they can to be relevant. Young is it. He's got too 5 potential if he can stay healthy.

Yes, size is an issue. He is what he is, though, and what he is, is a great football quarterback. Aside from the injury this year, he's been a durable quarterback. He knows when to slide and how to slide. You've got to take the gamble.

I could go on and on. Fact of the matter is, there's no other choice. Don't overlook something because of potential. Prepare yourselves, folks.

I'll shut up and leave a video clip from his Heisman season, showing you some of his chemistry with Metchie (#8):

Yes, this deserves its own thread. It's about the one and only quarterback worthy of number one. There's no other choice. Trying to get people excited about our future franchise here.

Stephen66, 13 in 33, oelman44 and 5 others like this.
  2. Qan

Qan Member

I still don't see the "have to", but I'm alright if they do. Rather take Carter or Anderson.

3. Fantasma Negro

You're 100% correct. The unfortunate fact is, he's not 6'3.

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If he checks in at 6’0 even it’s a no brainer and I’m all for Bryce even at 5’10.

But I have stated many times my dream would be take Anderson first then trade back up for Bryce because I believe Stroud and Levis will go before him.

5. Fantasma Negro

I agree on you with Anderson but Nick is on the hot seat and the defense can be improved through trades and free agency, so he has to take a qb. Regardless of skill level, because of his size, not just his height, he's very light and has a small frame, taking him is a huge gamble. I'm still feeling like it's going to be Stroud. Stroud has all the tools to be a franchise qb

Pbev99 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

The good teams in the league right now didn’t get their quarterback with the first pick in the draft, they came either via trade or after a mediocre losing season. I heard this on the radio I think 610 where they were referring to some post or article and it made sense. We have many holes to fill and yes we need a quarterback but does it have to be with the first pick. Build up a stout defense and get some offensive pieces and run with a veteran qb that’s not injury prone like Taylor was then get a qb. But I know young seems like generational talent and we just need something to look forward to I just hope we don’t get him killed in the process

htownborn34, red5rocket, Qan and 2 others like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Legit question: Have any of the good teams in the league had a number one pick in the last 10-15 years?

The answer is that the only one that I can think of that has, the Bengals, actually did just that when they picked Joe Burrow at number one overall a few years ago.

This narrative is stupid. Many of these good teams have never had a shot at 1.1 because they are, in fact, good. They have a good foundation, good ownership, and good GMs, and therefore, are at least competitive every year. Who knows what they would have done if they had the number one pick.

Omihall23 likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hard pass.

Too young. Too green. Needs more reps and starts.

Going further, Alabama QBs are usually exposed as coattail riders when they hit the NFL.

Being surrounded by bluechips makes life easy. They don't have the work ethic needed when they hit the big time.

I'd invest in some more seasoned guys like Hooker, Nix, Tune, etc.

Fantasma Negro and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

My only concern with Stroud is can he lead a group of men??..can he really “Will” his team to victory against all odds??

Will his teammates look at him and feel without a doubt that CJ is that dude and “run thru a brick wall for him”??

htownborn34 and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Then you must really not like Stroud then

rfrocket likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I would rather have Richardson then those guys

htownborn34 and sydmill like this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Everyone salivated over Young last year. Well we are here and will have the number 1 pick. Guess what, his numbers got better and QB is our biggest need. People want a guy who will sack the quarterback, but we are middle of the pack there despite not being able to stop the run. Pretty decent in my opinion.Stopping the run is something that can happen in free agency. See what the Eagles have accomplished just by picking the in season waiver wire.

QB and WR 1 should be the direction the team chooses.

primtim24 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Every franchise is different. Lets stop pretending like the top of the draft is a curse. I would like to remind you of the QB's between Matt Schaub and Deshaun Watson. You really want to venture into that environment again? I pass.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Fantasma Negro

That's how I feel about all these qbs honestly. My first choice as you know would be a trade for Jordan Love. I have zero confidence in any of these guys coming out this year but if I had to choose one it would be Stroud...that's a lie, it would be Hooker in the second but because of the acl, it would be Stroud

htownborn34 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If he is taller than Kyler, then draft him. I dont want to have the short meme worthy QB. You know where they have QBs ranked and you can only see kylers forehead. I laugh everytime so I dont want our QB to be the laughing stock.

You know what, we are already the laughing stock, so just draft him regardless.

16. Major

Major Member

People need to stop comparing players to 'the next Mahomes'. What makes Mahomes special is not his arm or his elusiveness or any of this other tangibles - it's why he wasn't the #1 pick. That makes him unique is the combination of physical skills, mental skills, his off-the-charts creativity, and a coach that knows how to get all of that out of him.

There's no way to predict "the next Mahomes" because what makes him great is not anything that people can see in advance. His style could easily lead to Jameis Winston and endless INTs if not reined in and used correctly. And if Mahomes was coached by Lovie or Culley, he might not even be in the league right now.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Fewer than 400 passes thrown and something like 15 starts out of a redshirt sophmore? No thanks.

He may have some physical gifts that can carry him for a year or two, but that's about it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

other than the size comments, people were saying similar things about Watson before he was drafted

but like Watson, the eye test doesn't lie with Young

the way he balls out in big games, reads the field, never panics, and moves around in the pocket

don't overthink it, draft Young

CKent, Two Sandwiches, ROXRAN and 2 others like this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I hear that Baker Mayfield is straight up trash ... oh wait ... Given a great OC and a practice or two ...

There is an objective lesson here. For the "I have seen enough of Mills/Allen" crowd, we do not know how they will play under a great OC ... or not if the great OC does not like what he sees.

Job One should be to land a great OC. If Lovie Smith has got to go to facilitate this, then so be it.

DonnyMost, Big Tex and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Do you have confidence in Lovie to able to pick a high quality OC? Pep Hamilton was his call if I’m not mistaken. And he’s not really part of any coaching tree where he can pull up and coming talent from.

Rudyc281 likes this.