1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I sure hope he goes to the Dodgers. Don't need him on the Yankees or Mariners.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Some of this too, no doubt.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think he’d have at least 10 teams willing to do 5/250 and I suspect the Astros would be 1 of them. I think he might be able to push for 10/500 and I wouldn’t be shocked if he could get that. Dodgers or Giants would be my guess.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Granted I haven't watched Grandal's defense, but he seems to be consistently better Maldy in Baseball Prospectus' Catcher Defensive Adjustment stat and Fielding Runs Above average. It seems if you look at any defensive metric we dramatically overrate Maldy's defense.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The way he handles pitchers?

Pitch selection?

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

I wouldn’t hesitate at all on 5/250, but I assume he would want a longer deal. I would think he could get at least 10/450.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would respond but I know your mind is already boggled so I don't wanna do any more damage. I know how difficult it can be after such a devastating boggling of one's mind.

jiggyfly and RunninRaven like this.
  8. Radricky

Radricky Member

Dodgers will give him 10 years 550

9. Landry's Tooth

For pete sake... i was passing along his nickname, not doing some in depth analysis.

If you want to get all technical...

Maldonado has led the league once with a total of 9. Grandal has led the league 3 times.

In their careers, the PA frequency is 52% more frequent with Grandal per inning. So for every 3 passed balls Grandal has, Maldonado has 2.

Last year alone, Maldonado averaged a passed ball every 105.3 innings catching while Grandal had one every 69.25 innings.

Grandal would have easily had more but the white sox know how terrible he is which is why he caught 42% fewer innings than Maldonado but only had one fewer passed ball.

As for range, the league average is 8.82. Grandal was at 9.15 which isn't bad. Maldonado was at 10.19 which is elite. Realmuto has gotten close but never higher in his career. Perez has only topped that once in his career. Murphy has never had that in a full season. Jose Trevino has never done it. Barnhardt only did once but was in a quarter of the innings Maldonado was last year. Yadier never did it.

jiggyfly and PuzzledFan like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Who cares? It doesn't change the fact that Grandal is adequate behind the plate.

11. Landry's Tooth

He can be overrated but still an above average defensive catcher.

He's mediocre on passed balls but usually gets consideration for an above average arm, range, and game calling.

If you want to use some number that take 5 variables and makes some assumptions that's fine. I prefer to keep things more simple.

Grandal has historically been considered one of the worst catchers of his generation fielding wise. If he couldn't hit he wouldn't have made it 3 years in the league.

12. Landry's Tooth

Sorry, I'm not going to call a player who's best position is dh "adequate" as a catcher.

13. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, travfrancis and robbie380 like this.
  14. finsraider

finsraider Member

We’re snipping at each other because Crane is asleep or gone on a vacation.

Somebody call Bagwell and tell him to do something.

Bregatron, Wulaw Horn and jim1961 like this.
  15. Qan

Qan Member

Let's go! Any new news? Lmao

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We are specializing in those "moves you don't make" this off season.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

So any player who is a better hitter than fielder can not be "adequate" at a position?

Yordan Alvarez is MUCH better in the batters box so he must completely suck in left field.

Mike Trout is one of the best hitters of his generation. He could not possibly be any good in the outfield.

Regardless of how smart or knowledgeable you may be, that was a stupid comment.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Bagwell is stuck battling his beard, last I heard he may not survive.

jiggyfly and NIKEstrad like this.
  19. Radricky

Radricky Member

There's some smoke around the Yankees and Correa

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

So … you think that the factors that drive the prices of groceries (say supply, cost of production/transportation, demand) are also the factors that have caused FA contracts to increase?

Or you’re saying that professional baseball players are getting paid more because the cost of groceries have gone up, therefore their cost of living is higher, and so Owners have to pay them more? Tomatoes are cost 35 percent more, so players are getting paid tens of millions more to offset that cost of living increase?

Hmmm, maybe, just maybe, it’s the availability of FA’s, revenues of owners, and owners willingness to spend … say like Steve Cohen’s billions of dollars and his willingness to spend them … that drive FA contract amounts and duration.

We have a lot of outlandish baseball things we can and do say here. Let’s not say the price of corn is why FA contracts are sky high.

white lightning likes this.