1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

They are looking at several catchers in trades per Nook going back a week or more. Even added Grandal to the list. All seem to be split time solutions, so I'm sure Dusty and the nerd cave as Nook calls them are valuing Maldonado still. So unless A's get a little more since of urgency with Murphy, Maldonado is at least the platoon starter.

Barhart, Grandal, Alfaro, Zunino, Narvaez are on the radar.

2. Cinder Guard

Cinder Guard Member

This is the way. Disclaimer: I'm perfectly happy with what the Astros have done or not done, and would remain happy if FA season were to end today. Buuut Conforto is also very intriguing and the number one guy I'd like to see become an Astro.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  3. CinematicFusion

what makes Maldy and his .178 batting average so special?
    I get he’s a nice guy but…

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

At this point I would just sign Narvaez and Brantley.

Narvaez had 4 seasons with an OPS north of .700. That would feel like Babe Ruth compared to what the Astros normally run out there at catcher. He had a down year in 2022, but he was an all star in 2021. Plus, he is a left handed hitter so he should benefit from the shift ban.

If Brantley doesn't work out go make a trade at the deadline for a corner outfielder. The Mancini trade for example wasn't that costly. I don't believe the Astros have a massive surplus of major league or upper level minor league talent to be trading it away at this point for guys with multiple years of control. Shop for rentals at the deadline.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Just looking at lineup only the Astros are better on paper than the World Series winning roster.

Only real hole is experience at back up catcher. I would sign a veteran AAAA guy who is cerebral and defense first to a minor league deal with an invite. Let him compete with Lee for the job then ( hopefully) play I. AAA unless/until needed.

In this market, I would offer Conforto a 1yr + vesting option deal. If it must he a simple players option that does not vest, then it's Crane's decision. Tough market and limited impact bats available.

If he turns it down, then monitor Brantley and try to sign him to a 1 yr prove it deal even if he only DHs and only plays 50% of games.

If neither happen then see what happens and look to the trade deadline.

Roster:
    Maldy and Lee or random AAAA catcher
    Abreu
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Pena
    McCormick
    Meyers
    Tucker
    Alvarez

Hensley
    Dubon
    Y.Diaz, Matijevic, or Julks

Hopefully Meyers plays the first half like he did in 2021. Leon continues to cut down the K's and improve his routes in CF in AAA. Then if the Astros still want upgrade then do a Myles Straw type trade with one of them.

Yordan/Chas/Meyers hold down left and center field.

Either Y.Diaz, Julks, or Matijevic get significant DH time when Yordan is in LF

Or

Hensley plays 1B, 2B, and 3B while starters DH to keep them fresh.

Dubon is pinch runner/fielder and defensive replacement. Very valuable player in this roster lineup.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Astros value him for his baseball IQ, his game planning, and ability to communicate with and keep the pitchers on point.

They know TONS more than you or I

I for one think they have earned the benefit of the doubt.

7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Well you can read the past 2 days worth of threads on here and there's a huge debate about whether or not we should be pro- Maldonado or not. We Know This Much Dusty really likes him. He actually outperformed Vasquez and virtually equal playing time. This of course is a small sample size. I feel like there's going to be better fits at a better price seeing how the team wants to leave Maldonado on the field probably at least 50% of the time. Vasquez has an offer on the table to go and start for theTwins I believe he'll take it sooner or later. I think the holdup is it's only a two-year offer.

8. Jeremy Williams

In comparison to our WS roster, there is a substantial drop.

Vazquez—Lee
    Maldy another year older
    Verlander—Seth Martinez or Maton

There is also a huge risk factor in health. We entered the postseason with only Brantley and Maton left off due to injuries.

We got lucky that Yuli went bananas in the postseason. It’s definitely an upgrade to add Abreu, but it would be a gamble to expect Abreu to perform like Yuli did next postseason.

More than anything, our competitors are getting better. If i’m crane i am not nearly done. Follow Luhnow’s tweet—we must be marching forward. Smart decisions are critical, but so is adjusting expectations to the market.

9. Jeremy Williams

huh?

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

11. Nook

Nook Member

Maldonado lead the league in passed balls.

Not that Grandal is great at it either.

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Feel like Gallo is someone who will really benefit with the new shift rules next year.

Not opposed to signing him and having him bat 7th or 8th.

Htown Legend likes this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

He will benefit some, but that doesn't change the fact that he whiffs at an astronomically high rate. He has a good eye and doesn't swing at many pitches outside the zone, but when he does swing he doesn't make much contact. Maybe there's a mechanical adjustment to be made, but at this point, I think he pretty much is who he is.

14. CinematicFusion

Then he is our starter, no need to think about this position anymore

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

I wonder if that’s a function of the kind of pitchers we have. Lots of speed and spin.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’ve been saying that. I’d much rather sign Gallo for 6 or 8M than Brantley for 9 or 12. At a minimum with Gallo you get a guy that can play every OF position pretty well, draw walks and hit bombs. There is the chance he gets fixed and can get back to a 200 or 220 avg which would make him a pretty good bat in the 8 hole.
    Brantley’s downside is unplayable in the field and 700 type OPS (or worse) with no thump. His upside is mostly unplayable anywhere other than LF at MMP and 800 OPS with no thump. I mean, if we got the upside for a mostly DH slapped dude on I guess. But it’s not a huge payoff if it hits and there is a good chance it doesn’t hit.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No. Go look at the passed balls. Usually lazy job on catching them/lack of attention. There could also be some physical stuff.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If you read my post I said lineup only, but was referring to more specifically the 13 position players.

Maldy is a year older but his value is not based on his physical abilities. No change.

Lee replaces Vazquez - growing pains and less consistency but minimal impact as this is not a starting position.

Abreu replaces Gurriel - Abreu is younger (lol) better at run production and protecting hitters ahead of him and Yuki had terrible season.

Altuve had great year. Hope for the same, expect slight drop off to merely All Star level.

Bregman had very inconsistent and slow start. Should counter any drop off from Altuve with better for entire season.

Pena had inconsistent rookie year esoecially early. Should be better especially on ground balls unforced errors and hitting in #2 spot entire year.

Tucker and Alvarez should be at least the same. Yordan might come back a bit but Tucker was a bit down. Those should even out. End of shift could mean huge improvement. We will see.

Chas is Chas. Expect about the same as 4th OF.

Meyers replaces Mancini/Diaz in lineup. I am hopeful 2021 Jake returns once shoulder injury/surgery is 1yr+ behind him. Regardless he should be at least as good as they were the last couple months and playoffs.

Hensley replaces Diaz as top utility. Lacks experience but looks to have more speed and better eye/pitch selection. After Diaz's season mo reason to expect this to be a step backward.

Dubon had worst season in limited MLB experience as a big leaguer. Regressing back to his mean would be improvement but little impact as 13th guy on bench.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I think this is the most prudent thing to do.

I am fine with the Astros keeping their offers to Conforto and Bennintendi open and if they take them, great, if not then they move on with Brantley.

As for Narvaez, I have always liked him, but they seem to be targeting more defensive minded catchers.

There are a lot of catchers still out there.... Gary Sanchez, Omar Narvaez, Christian Vazquez, Tucker Barnhart, Austin Hedges, Mike Zunino and Jorge Alfaro.

Not all of those guys will get big contracts.

I actually think a few of them could be solid as full time starters.

Maldonado the last handful of years has hit lefties well..... but not righties.

Guys like Narvaez and Barnhart hit lefties better..

Can potentially near platoon them and get an OPS+ closer to 100

20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Maldonado was already known to have issues with passed balls when we first got him.