1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Any trade that's going to bring back "valuable pieces" will definitely hurt (or as you call it "pain"). The question is what players are involved to get that "valuable piece(s)"?

I can only speak for myself (which I have), and definitely do not agree with trading Brown for Murphy. I respect snakes opinion and in some cases we'll just have to agree to disagree. Have to remind ourselves it's a fan forum and opinions will be different. Just need to remind ourselves we're all Astros fans and we all want to see the team make moves that will shore up weak areas.

Snake sorry if you felt like I was coming at you personally as that was not my intent.

jiggyfly and Madmanmetz like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Bryant has negative value right now, especially with the length of the contract. I know the Rockies have discussed trading him to get out from under the contract. Bryant would profile very well on the Astros, but the Rockies would have to include a couple good young players or eat a decent amount of the contract for the Astros to be interested.

As far as frustration with the front office, I am not frustrated with how they have handled free agency. I am concerned that they are just letting everything listlessly float aimlessly when it comes to player development and also the draft. Those are two areas that Crane needs to stay out of.

As for actual free agency, Crane accurately read what the market prices would be and struck early and signed players will to sign early (Abreu and Montero). Also, for the complaints about the amount of money and the years that the Astros gave, it is clear now that the Astros did not over-pay and got good value.

The other free agents that signed, got contract lengths that would harm the team long term. Bellinger didn't want to sign with the Astros, and Contreras really wanted to stay geographically as close to the Midwest as he could - so signing with St. Louis made perfect sense.

The Astros still have offers out there to some guys and they still have a 50/50 shot at signing one of them to play the outfield.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I actually think Korey Lee and Enoli Paredes for Alek Thomas seems pretty fair. McCarthy would likely be quite a bit more expensive; maybe (maybe) Urquidy would be enough to add to Paredes and Lee, but only if Strom loves Urquidy and Paredes and lobbies for them; they may (gulp) require Brown instead of Urquidy and/or Diaz instead of Lee.

whiskeyred and Htown Legend like this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Like the idea of Bryant + prospects. I don’t think 6/$158 is a bargain, but in this market it’s not really an overpay either.

I’m guessing Benintendi is the 50/50 guy. Good with him at the right price.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have spoken to the White Sox about Yasmani Grandal FWIW.

No idea of cost, but I would think the Sox may eat some of the contract or send a useful piece back to the Astros with Grandal.

Apparently had some shoulder issues last year and Astros think he can bounce back.

6. Nook

Nook Member

From what I have heard, Alek Thomas is more expensive in trade than McCarthy.

A lot of scouts don't think that McCarthy will keep it up in the big leagues and see him as a long term 4th outfielder.

Thomas is viewed as a long term starter in centerfield.

I got to see Thomas in high school and then some in the minors when he would play against the Kane County Cougars.

Never struck me as a massively gifted hitter, but someone that did a lot of things above average and as a result was an overall really good player. He isn't Biggio, but he is that type of player... of Knoblauch.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That’s not a competitive offer on Rodon.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

1 year $18 million. Fine with that. Buys you another year if he can reclaim who he was in 2021.

prospecthugger and Wulaw Horn like this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That seems a bit aggressive but who knows. Before the start of the off-season I felt like 5/130 might get it done (others I saw were as low as 6/125 or something but that never seemed right to me). Now I’d say 6/175 or 180 would make more sense but everyone is getting at least 1 extra year so I’m not going to say 7/190 is wrong.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Bad news for this plan my dude- Bennitendi is getting a 5 year deal in this market and it might even be 9 figures.
    My guess right now would be 5/90.

11. Nook

Nook Member

That is the question, right?

He was very good with the bat in 2021 and then in 2022 was terrible.

Defensively he is good enough, not terrible but probably average to slightly below average when you consider his arm.

Offensively he doesn't hit for a good average, but he walks a lot, and he has extra base pop.

12. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

It's been reported that Rodon is wanting to be a Yankee and Yankees want him. He is asking for 6 years 30mil a year. He hates the Astros so lets move on like Crane already did.

#5172 Madmanmetz, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Lee, Paredes and Urquidy are all fine with me if we move them- we should br able to extract something valuable for them that’s above average. I think you are right that Urquidy might get 5/75 in the open market today. He’s not old, his stuff is ok and you figure he’s going to eat innings at least at a league average rate, and he’s pitched and pitched well in some big games in his career. Lee you could see upside of near all star level production one year I’d he happens to run into 20 or 25 HR and play good defense, and solid starter or really good catcher 2 seems like a fair 25-75% outcome range.
    I’m fine with trading Garcia but only if he’s the main piece for an all star type.
    Hunter Brown would only be, for me, available for a super star with at least 2 postseason left on his deal and it still being for non crazy money. Someone like Soto last trade deadline- only if he had 1.5 years left instead of 2.5.
    Javier I hang up laughing, unless it’s Anaheim with Trout and they are going to throw 50 or 100M into the deal.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Oh he was never in my plans beyond make a phone call to gauge any interest as standard due diligence.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Grandal and Bryan Ramos from the White Sox and 2 million dollars to the Astros for organizational depth?

Role the dice Grandal bounces back.

Then make a push for Gallo or Pollock?

If Brantley is healthy later, they can sign him.

Grandal and Maldonado behind the plate.... Gallo can play any outfield spot..... a little more swing and miss than I want, but still a lot of upside.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

I like that we’re being creative. Murphy or Grandal or one of the Bluejays catchers. Benintendi or Conforto or an Arizona OF or Bryant.

Lots of ways to do this. You don’t need 5-10 different things to go your way…just 1 or 2.

Don’t have a strong preference at this point. I think we need a minimum of 2 regular contributors,

Xopher, Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's not about rarity, it's about value do you think a catcher that hits about 280 is more valuable than a TOR pitcher?

The way they pay them certainly does not bear that out.

Just look at what Contreras got as opposed to Verlander.

Oh and Hunter Brown is in no way like Whitley, he has done it in the highest pressure situations I can't believe you even went there.

#5177 jiggyfly, Dec 9, 2022
    everyday eddie likes this.
  18. CinematicFusion

Competitive Balance Tax Threshold
    $233,000,00

Mets
    Proj. Tax Payroll
    $300,283,332
    Proj. Tax Payroll (Active + Est. Arb + Est. Pre-Arb)
    $332,990,339

Yankees
    Proj. Tax Payroll
    $221,716,666
    $261,881,565

Astros
    Proj. Tax Payroll
    $158,940,476
    $197,293,81

Phillies
    Proj. Tax Payroll
    $207,549,008
    Proj. Tax Payroll (Active + Est. Arb + Est. Pre-Arb) $242,414,946

Dodgers
    Proj. Tax Payroll
    $139,771,490
    Project. Tax Payroll (Active + Est. Arb + Est. Pre-Arb)
    $189,964,140

#5178 CinematicFusion, Dec 9, 2022
  19. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have money to spend.

The issue isn't whether Crane will spend money - he will, he just will not sign someone to what he feels is an inflated contract.

The Astros were willing to sign 3-4 guys for a lot of money, until the years and player only options were too high.

They still have a couple contract offers out there to guys.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

HODL.

Let them keep going crazy. Half of those contracts will look terrible in year 2.

CinematicFusion likes this.