1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The incredible transformation of Justin Brooks Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Jul 9, 2022.

1. TheSource

TheSource Member

:)

robbie380, vince, mikol13 and 6 others like this.
  2. Yordan The Great

Deep throat.

3. TheSource

TheSource Member

Woah lmao

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Watergate scandal, look it up. ;)

5. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

That was 50 years ago. Somebody is showing their age.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I hope he crashes-and-burns on his new team. Sorry! It's my policy!

Qan likes this.
  8. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I'm not mad that he left. But was his motive strictly for the money? Surely he didn't go to the Mets because he cared to win another WS, much less beating the Astros to win it. I guess he was content with 2 WS rings?

9. Yordan The Great

So projecting JV's 3 years with the Mets.

2023 17 wins
    2024 15 wins
    2025 14 wins

That's 290.

He'd come back for one more season at age 43 to get to 300.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Rightfully so for any player on a team from New York :D

clos4life likes this.
  11. Qan

Qan Member

Best of luck to Verlander, but I hope he has an above 4.5 era...low run support so only wins no more than 8 games. Hope he stays healthy all season.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

And those who do remember the past are doomed by those who wish to cover it up.

clos4life likes this.
  14. vince

vince Member

Those win totals look plausible. JV has been a workhorse when he pitches and on the other hand he’s missed whole seasons when he’s injured.

Assuming he stays relatively healthy for the next three seasons, he should get within 10 wins of 300 total wins. I have to hand it to JV, he’s learned to pitch with his repertoire, even as he looses stuff off his fastball, rendering him still highly effective.

I frankly like JV. I hold no grudge that he took the 43.3 million per season for the next 2 seasons. And I would not put it past him, that JV still has another CY Young season in him.

With that being said, the Astros have a lot of young players coming up with contracts due, and the Astros are better served to address those contracts, that don’t figure to be anywhere near the 43.3 million per season JV is making.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They actually don’t have a lot of younger players about to be free agents. Altuve/Bregman’s contracts are up before any of the main arb-eligible guys.

Crane would have likely matched 1 year with an option for the next (sort of like this year’s deal, with a raise)… but he got 2 guaranteed years and that was that.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure. I think Crane has a number he wants to spend this year, and he wanted to bolster up a couple of positions this year. I don't think Crane was optimistic he would get other positions filled within his budget with JV making $43M this season. Ordinarily, I think the type of deal JV signed is Crane's type of deal (short with little long term risk).

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Crane said they were hoping to match. I don’t think he expected JV to get less than a $40 million a year offer, thus either he was scared by $3 million or the years.

I also think he’s the only player Crane would have been willing to spend into the tax for this year but I also didn’t see them throwing stupid years/money for Contreras or any other free agent. Alas, all moot points. Back to the Chas discussions!

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Or he was scared by the price per year, but didn't want to say that publicly. He knew JV was signing for more years than 1. Though, I agree he may have gone over the tax for JV.

19. Yordan The Great

17 playoff wins

2 shy of tying Andy Pettitte.

The man is just incredible.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

JV looks like **** for an elite athlete with aspirations of playing well into his 40's. I can tell that he doesn't do much exercising, his diet is trash he and drinks on a regular basis. In short, he's living that newly married with new kids life that a lot of men go through. It takes a lot of extra work past 35 to stay in shape. He hit that wall this year and needs to put in the extra work and discipline now if he wants to keep going.