1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. dmoneybangbang

Did Doc Rivers say that that’s the primary ball handler of the future?

I never said KPJ isn’t good….. or doesn’t have any positives…. or any redeeming qualities.

However, Ryan Hollin’s opinion doesn’t hold much sway in regards to our own players.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Yes, they really are. A lot of it is complete made up strawmans too with some gaslighting thrown in

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

But a bad downside comparison, though I think KPJ is a much better shooter than MCW.

Yes, maybe KPJ won’t work out. But I really don’t get why everyone just assumes he won’t get better. Even this season, his TS% is ticking up, and his catch-and-shoots have been terrific. I also think he has looked much better moving the ball lately.

Again, I completely get much of KPJ’s criticism. What I don’t get is the harshness. Like I said earlier, it’s weird to see one fan bas cheer for a guy like Keldon Johnson and another bash KPJ despite the fact that the latter has played much better than the former.

harold bingo likes this.
  4. Houston77

Supporting Member

Whatever you say. I just think you’re used to people agreeing with your takes on KPJ without pushback.

5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ reminds me of a Francis/Mobley type of player. I rooted hard for them and those guys won just enough that I was able to overlook the many fundamental flaws in their game. Years later, it was obvious neither of them was ever a championship level starter. When the Rockets win, I do the same thing with KPJ and even start to like him a little, his problem is this team doesn't win enough.

6. maypk

maypk Member

Great example. Keldon Johnson and KPJ are pretty much the same players and if the Spurs were playing Keldon Johnson at point guard as primary playmaker, they would lose their *****.

"KPJ is not a point guard" "KPJ can't playmake" "KPJ can't make reads" are not harsh criticisms but stone cold facts.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

FIFY.....

DD

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Tag me next time. Actually, don't. Nobody knows who you are. You're just a **** jockey

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Mobley would have been a great 6th man. He's a better player than KPJ.

FLAGRANT1 likes this.
  10. maypk

maypk Member

Still wating for your opinion on his art of pick and roll. Either share your opinions about it or stop quoting me with your kpj stan bullsh*t.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

bad faith arguments, gaslighting, and strawman talking points isn’t pushback tho…and it is easily counteracted and debunked

for example, someone will say KPJ’s turnovers are a huge issue…1 of u KPJ fans will come running with a cape on bringing up prime James Harden or *insert star who averages a lot of turnovers…can’t comprehend that turnovers are a larger issue when u don’t do nearly enough as the other player to make up for them…can’t comprehend that while KPJ averages 3.9 turnovers and someone like Ja averages 3.8, one has an 18% turnover rate and the other is 13%

then we get to the strawman arguments when all else fails like this statement that u posted

This board encapsulated: Either a starter will become a superstar, or he sucks

Who is saying that or even alluding to something like that? Who?

that’s the pushback KPJ fans give

i3artow i3aller and maypk like this.
  12. Houston77

Supporting Member

What do you mean? Literally earlier today, IN THIS THREAD, someone posted, "KPJ sucks." Someone else also said that KPJ is the worst read-and-react player in the league. That's just today. So don't act like KPJ critics as reasonable. The whole point of this thread is that, often, they aren't.

DaDakota likes this.
  13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They were both better players than KPJ, but similar basketball IQ.

Ankara1923 and King1 like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Of course you were....he runs the PnR fine....I could explain it to you but you wouldn't understand.

DD

15. maypk

maypk Member

No wonder why you are getting clowned by pretty much everyone in the Rockets community. You are a clown dude, just get lost and stop quoting me.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

the quality of argument from a KPJ critic often far surpasses the quality from the vast majority of KPJ fans who really have no argument so will use any gaslighting tactic or misuse of stats that they can

KPJ being on some 19, 6, and 6 list means absolutely nothing…that KPJ and Ja/Lillard/prime Harden/Embiid, etc turn the ball over a lot means absolutely nothing

trying to turn this tweet into a positive for KPJ is a huge joke

strawman talking points as a defense for KPJ prove nothing

17. Houston77

Supporting Member

I’m starting to think you don’t know what “strawman” means.

You: “No one is saying KPJ sucks! That’s a strawman argument!”
    Me: *literally quotes someone saying KPJ sucks*
    You: “Another strawman!”

Say what you will, I haven’t seen a single KPJ defender claim he is a star. Yes, they might compare his stats to stars to defend his positive attributes, the same way his detractors compare him to Westbrook, etc., but comparing stats to stars is NOT the same as saying he’s a star.

The point is that “KPJ is a star” and “KPJ sucks” are both extreme positions, whereas I’ve never seen the former but seen plenty of the latter.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

The tweet actually asked a question: Who stands out? I think I know the answer. Somebody doesn’t belong in that group. Not yet anyways.

Reeko likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

this right here from u is a strawman

This board encapsulated: Either a starter will become a superstar, or he sucks

please Houston77, point out the person who’s point was that either a starter is a superstar, or he sucks

here u are gaslighting

Guys like you say KPJ is bad, but only actually bring up good players.

it is actually KPJ fans who constantly bring up players way better than him…matter of fact, you’ve been doing that very thing on here

wait, here’s more

The fact is that KPJ haters like you live in a fantasy world where KPJ takes every shot, hoards every possession, etc. at the behest of other players, including Green.

KPJ critics think he controls the ball too much and is an inefficient volume scorer who doesn’t hit enough of the shots he takes…somehow that means we live in fantasy world where we actually think he takes every shot and hoards every possession…

yeah, they just call him a potential All-Star SG or potential superstar instead…

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

not ever