1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 4: The Green Revolution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Oct 16, 2022.

?

How many wins will Jalen lead us to?

1. 20-29 wins

125 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. 30-39 wins

61 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. 40-49 wins

11 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. 50-59 wins

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Agree with you on all points except...are spiders particularly fluid? I've always seen them as more jumpy things :p

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green is jumpy. :D

Roomba likes this.
  3. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Touché

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Creating for your teammates and getting to the line generates "good" turnovers (Morey discussed this at a Sloan Conference once upon a time), nothing to worry about there except having to reduce his turnovers by 1 or 2. Better to get polished at being aggressive than to be timid at attacking the rim.

Have a look around the league, anyone going to the line a lot AND averaging 5+ assists gets high turnovers no matter how elite a player they are, a certain number of them are part of the package that's ultimately worth it. I think with experience he'll get to where you want, but this is definitely a positive leap in development.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

27 points on 20 shots (and the W) against a slumping veteran team aiming for the title. The kid is fearless attacking the basket.

We're 5-5 our last 10 games with this alleged disaster of a coach, disastrous player development, disastrous PG play, disastrous lack of defense from our C and no one who projects to be a franchise player or core championship piece. So what's happening? Can all these things be true?

We're still not there yet, but the signs are here with us. This core and this franchise player are special.

BigMaloe, O-dawg, Dobbizzle and 4 others like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Meanwhile back in reality - the 3 point shooting has gotten brutally bad.

Now officially worse than last year and plumbing the 30% mark.

Since OKC 4 - 33 including 0 for last 2.... games.

Teams will start giving him the Westbrook treatment soon.

I hope he improves this, and it's hard to say what to expect from a 20 year old, but i think "not get wayy worse at 3 point shooting" is not an unrealistic expectation if people really are throwing out All NBA level comps

#586 SamFisher, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, I'm sure everybody should ignore 86 games of good shooting because of 5 bad games.

8. Carpe82

Carpe82 Member

[​IMG]

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Do you really think he's a bad shooter though? Havent you seen with your own two eyes this kid go nuclear behind the arc plenty of times? This season has been one of mini slumps for everyone on the team for whatever reason. Consistency is critical I would agree with that, but to go sensationalistic with "Westbrook treatment" is just too far out of touch. NOBODY is sagging off Jalen Green even with his current struggles behind the arc.

My main grievance is that Jalen leads the NBA in opponent points off of turnovers with 16.8 per game. That is the area he needs to shore up the quickest - his jump shot is pure. https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense?dir=D&sort=OPP_PTS_OFF_TOV

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He has started doing that windup motion again. It's almost circular. He'll start with the ball at the bottom right, then rotate it to the left, and then to the upper right to release it. His form looked sharper to start the season but it seems like he's fallen back into his old form.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably a product of a long road trip where he didn't have practice time and just being tired from things like back to back Denver games.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Glad he was able to have a nice line and positive impact despite the three point slump which I hope he breaks out of soon. Signs of growth.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No? Like i said a few weeks ago when he takes a semi transition pull up 3 at 3/4 speed it's aesthetically brilliant.

I guess with Green im wary of falling into the moneyball trap - guy looks like he should be a star, has all the tools, electrifying highlights, but the production (bad TOs, shooting mojave desert) obviously needs to improve.

It obviously doesn't matter what i think - but if im Stonetitta and in next year's draft (or by trade) there's a player witha similar skill set as best available, i don't (at this point) say "no we're good we have Green"

Like if Trae Young became available - I'd absolutely not even consider Green's fit as part of the equation and absolutely throw him in the deal, barring some change in Green's erratic trajectory so far.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hopefully. Muscle-memory is a hard thing to break, but he's young enough that if he works hard enough then he can do it. In any case, I'm happy to see him getting to the line more consistently. That's a big deal.

dmoneybangbang and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Green doesn't have erratic trajectory. You just aren't used to watching 19 and 20 year olds play. If you want to point me to more consistent guards at age 20, by all means go ahead.

Like you know he's scoring more efficiently than last year's rookie of the year who is a big man and last year's first pick overall right?

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats fair. I think there needs to be a balance with using the stat card and also having the eye test validate the opinions we draw from black and white numbers. I think I see enough of a fire within Jalen to feel comfortable that he has the tenacity and mental fortitude to be a winning player and a guy who can steer the ship for a franchise. You can see his competitive spirit come alive when his team is being picked on and when other teams take them for granted. Having a team composed of 22 or younger players is going to be erratic AF I agree. They need to build chemistry and experience the most which is happening game by game.

I would jettison KPJ before even thinking about getting rid of Jalen in the scenario where another lead guard would become available via draft or FA.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

He sacrificed points 28 and 29 so that his teammate could have a second of glory. It didn't work out but his leadership was in full display.

best I can do to spin that play. Sila's face lol

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

His 3 point shot just comes and goes, he will probably shoot 50% on high volumes again in the next few games and bring the percentage all the way back again.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We are creatures of habit when things don't go well. He seems to readjust his form when he's struggling and only makes it worse. we have seen it last season too. Not sure if there is a fix for it, because it's the staff's job to keep correcting his form so it becomes a habit.

But bad shooting is hard to explain, I remember Eric Gordon couldn't hit the broad side of the barn for 2 seasons and was completely broken from 3

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A lot of shooting is mental. This is why a lot of shooters are somewhat streaky. When you have it in you, you can hit everything you throw up. But when it doesn't fall, it messes with your mind.

We saw it earlier with Jabari. His shots didn't fall. He changed the release a little and made it worse.