1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie teach me how to Dougie

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Elite Pitching can do that to guys. But we seem to collect hitters that hit well against elite pitching. Abreu tops at that.

3. Landry's Tooth

1) I didn't give him credit. I said a change MIGHT effect the pitchers.

2) I'm fine with Lee and Diaz competing for the 2nd catcher spot and hope one of them shows enough to be starting for 5 years on the cheap. This would gives us more money to extend other guys.

Not opposed to Contreras if we miss on other guys.

Would prefer a centerfielder since our next prospect there is 2 years away if at all.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Contreras is bad at tricking the umpire. This won't be an issue in 2024.

Nook likes this.
  5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think we have three good alternatives in CF.

McCormick is young and capable. He’s probably not a player that will make all star teams but he can definitely be at or near league average in CF

Meyers had injury issues all season but is someone who has all star potential. I grant that he’s not there at present. But he has a high ceiling.

Pedro Leon is like Peña in some respects in that you KNOW you will get great defense (highest scouting rating for his arm). Leon also brings base stealing capabilities. The question is can he hit for consistent average. He has power. He’s our highest potential upside CF prospect.

6. the shark

the shark Member

I don't get the buzz on Contreras given how often he's on the DL.

2022 played 113 games (ankle + hamstring)
    2021 played 128 games (hip)
    2019 played 105 games (hamstring)

Dude can't stay healthy.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Tell us how you really feel, @Nook

Fair to assume you think Crane is making some major missteps in the FO?

Nook likes this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

I continue to believe one of the biggest mistakes we could make would be longterm blocking Lee, Daiz and Leon.

Will all of these guys become all-stars? No, but each of them have that kind of potential, and they’re ready for their chance.

Sign a versatile outfielder with a good bat, a cheap catcher and another pitcher, then figure the rest out by the deadline.

Tuckmose and Madmanmetz like this.
  9. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I just hope the Astros find a strong GM soon. The thoughts of not having a GM give off too many Easterby Obtrien vibes after the Texans got rid of Gaines. I know it’s completely different situations but neither are desirable long term.

Tuckmose, Nook and ktex like this.
  10. CinematicFusion

Who picks up the 28 starts at 6.25 innings per that Verlander took with him?

1. Framber hopefully will repeat last years 200 innings.
    2. McCullers has gone over 128 innings only once.

3. Garcia has the potential to be an elite inning eater. He’s got the stuff.

4. Christian Javier? 148 innings is his max. Can he average 28 starts at 6 innings per?

5. Hunter Brown is too young to expect that.

6. Eurquidy is a solid innings eater but will never be elite.

#3950 CinematicFusion, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Contreras is a DH/C2 ... for the entirety of his contract if he signs with the Astros. Contreras will not be catching more than 50-60 games a year.

For the games where Contreras is the DH, the Astros will need some emergency C3 on the bench. Someone should buy Hensley a catcher's mit ;)

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

Obviously not all, but I think you can safely assume Brown gets the majority of that.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nowhere near enough.

Nook likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Astros are uniquely positioned to absorb this loss.

Brown only had 2 starts
    McCullers only had 8 starts
    Javier only had 25 starts

And the bullpen returns everyone of note and had an extremely light workload vs average usage.

I did a quick game by game possible starting schedule.

Framber starts on 4 days rest 3 times in the middle of the season.

Javier starts on 4 days rest once ( also middle of the season).

Nobody else works on less than 5 days off.

Framber 32 starts
    Javier 29 starts
    McCullers 29 starts
    Brown 26 starts
    Garcia 24 starts
    Urquidy 22 starts.

Of course injuries will happen but this shows exactly how well the Astros rotation can line up exactly as is.

I still would like to see a veteran upside/innings eater guy brought in especially if a trade is made

#3954 IdStrosfan, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If that's not enough, then it's too much.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

With even moderate health Brown and McCullers can easily cover 175 innings combined.

17. CinematicFusion

Brown is too young to expect 6 innings a game out of him. He’s has the stuff but command has been an issue for him and how is his arm strength for a long season.

I thinks it’s Garcia that can step up and have an elite inning eating season.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I get that's the thought about Contreras...but shouldn't the aim be higher for a DH? He's a good hitter for a catcher. But that's about it.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Javier hasn't been stretched out because they kept sticking him in the bullpen. I hope they don't do that with Brown, though he will likely need a reduced workload at some point.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Again, majority. Let’s say Brown works 23 games (or 1 start every 7 games) and gives us an average of 4.5 innings per game. That’s 104 innings.

I don’t think there’s much question that the bullpen will need to pitch more innings. We were the lowest in baseball by far. Don’t think that’s a big issue, as many of our low leverage pitchers (who are also really good) struggled to get much time last year.

If your offense is scoring more runs, then it should be the low leverage guys getting more time.