1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Jeremy Williams

2. Jeremy Williams

C
    LF/DH/CF
    P

C is the biggest hole.

3. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

With Verlander gone, and another 45 million dollars in cap space open, throwing a high AAV, low year contract at Contreras sounds better and better, especially if they don't think Diaz is up for the job.

Though, signing him for only 3 years may be impossible, regardless of AAV, if we want to have all the big FA splurges expire right when Tucker, Javier, and Valdez need new contracts.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I haven't watched him defensively a ton, but his defensive metrics are consistently really, really bad.

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

We saw them at their hottest, but honestly it’s a pretty top heavy lineup offensively and a damn near liability defensively.. they plugged the biggest hole, but still a few others. We just saw their best I think.

6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

They're one deeper than before, which is an improvement.
    Their biggest problem was Stott, Bohm, Hoskins, and Castellanos all turning into pumpkins. They need serious improvement from all of these guys to have a top offense.

7. Nook

Nook Member

That’s great Bill.

Lots of talking from this group. We have heard from Firkus and Crane and Bagwell and even the manager. Hell, I’m waiting to hear that Maldonado and McCullers have joined the delegation and will be answering questions from the media after they get back from playing golf.

Seems that Crane has brought his motley crew of buddies to help him run his baseball team. Even the chief legal counsel and head of charitable events is present. Not sure how many attorneys that graduated from Lamar University know advanced stats. Hell, I’m not sure Bagwell can explain what doing away with the shift will do to the Astros after he has a dozen bourbon and cokes by noon.

Don’t want to pay Verlander 90 million over the next two years? That vesting option just too much risk? Okay, well then do something to make your team better and don’t tell everyone in the media about all the players you are considering.

Talk about a leaking sieve, this group cannot keep their mouth shut to the media or other people in the organization.

Push all the offers you made and decide who you really want and sign them.

Cook is supposed to be good at player evaluation in the amateur ranks. Let’s hope he helps scouting and Goodrum should probably just be named head of player development.

I know Jimmy is having fun playing roto baseball but the Astros need a GM. There is a lot more to being a GM than signing free agents. Sign who you are going to sign and get a real GM and get rid of some of these leeches. Enos Cabell? Really? His son Marcus is a very good guy, but pops doesn’t know anything about baseball after the Reagan administration.

8. HTown2017Champs

Does anyone else see Mark Prior/Stephen Strasburg in Luis Garcia's mechanics? I can't be the only one who gets those thoughts. I'd do a deal for Murphy centered around Garcia in a heartbeat. He's a steal in 2023 and 2024, and in 2025 he will be more expensive but still reasonable. Still gives us money for, say, Benintendi.

Rotation: Valdez, Javier, McCullers, Brown, Urquidy
    For SP6, Bielak, France, Abreu (if they want to go that route), Tamarez, Dubin, and Whitley (if he somehow puts it together) are options. Or they could sign a guy like Kluber, Stripling or Cueto. Or go with 5 starters since we have an off day almost every week, unlike this year, and use a spot starter, or see who's available at the deadline.

Altuve 2B
    Pena SS
    Alvarez DH
    Bregman 3B
    Tucker RF
    Abreu 1B
    Murphy C
    McCormick CF
    Benintendi LF
    Bench: Maldonado, Hensley, Matijevic, Dubon

Of course, not my decision, but that's what I would try to do if it was.

awc713 likes this.
  9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

We are getting close

10. Jeremy Williams

This is definitely Crane. He started talking about Contreras at the Abreu party. I guess if he intends to pay extra and go get the guys he wants, so be it. I dont see the Luhnow covert ops returning soon. Maybe Crane is tired of getting the rap for a tight purse owner.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

I think, in general, it's these Tampa guys who are cheapos. Look at Boston. They are not a small market at all. They're a legacy franchise with a lot of money, and their owner has spent big in the past. But ever since they hired Chaim Bloom as their GM, they have tended to avoid spending big, and per reports, they've lowballed Bogaerts the past 2 years leading up to his free agency. Glad Click is gone.

12. Yordan The Great

Hopefully Firkus doesn't Phuckus.

13. htownbball

htownbball Member

Trade one of the pitchers for a C and sign Taillon and turn him into the next Astros project.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I like Vasquez the most, he was great behind the plate and a quality hitter. He fit the clubhouse wonderfully. I hate the idea of spending $20 mil on Contreras as a backup, that has disaster all over it. And not a great way of keeping as many core pieces in tact as possible. I hope the Cardinals land him. So I can stop reading about it.

Sean Murphy would be my trade target if Vasquez comes off the board. Gold Glover, above average hitting catcher, 3 more seasons, etc. I guess Luis Garcia is the centerpiece, which means signing a starter is a must. I think Bassitt, Eovaldi, Taillon, Walker would be a fine replacement/possible upgrade of Garcia.

Beyond that I’d let Lee or Diaz get a shot in spring training.

raining threes likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

I've warmed up to Kluber for a 1 year, $9M contract (1M more than last year, goes from one no-income tax state to another). Give him one more chance to win a ring. He can start 30 games, and probably have a line of 15-5, 160 innings, 140 K, 3.50 ERA, 1.200 WHIP. He's no longer in his prime but he can still give you solid innings, and his K/BB rate quietly remains one of the best. In fact, he led all qualified pitchers in BB/9 last year, which honestly surprised me, and his xERA was lower than his actual ERA. @Nook said we were in communications with him, and honestly, I would welcome him. The reinvented Kluber reminds me of Greinke before he got sick and didn't completely recover.

16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Crane should never have a rap for being a tight owner. He’s traded for two starters making over 30 mil a year (JV and Grienke), given the two largest contracts in Astros history (Altuve and Bregman), signed Yuli a 33 year old rookie for $50 million, and forked out money too keep JV, Brantley, McCullers, Maldonado, Pressly, Montero around on nice annual re-signings/extensions.

Spending $20 mil/per on a catcher is not a smart move. Not with Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, Valdez, Javier free agency a few seasons away.

raining threes and jiggyfly like this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

C can be upgraded in the field much easier if we retain Maldy as C prep coach. He'll have to adjust his perspective moving to the dugout rather than behind the plate. But pitcher's confidence is one of those things that is real, but not measurable. I heard recently it was not Maldy that wanted to play every day, but the coaches and front office who were perhaps responding to the pitchers. I had not considered that earlier.

raining threes and jiggyfly like this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I feel like day one was a swing and miss with our guy on first getting picked off in baseball terms. And half the stadium applauding because the batter can't hit into a double play because there's no runner on 1st anymore.

19. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d gladly take those numbers and the vet knowledge he could pass on is probably worth 9 mil a year alone.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let us give all the glory to Christ.