1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander to the Mets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was also covid restriction related.

2. RussE

RussE Member

Not worth the money he got. Ridiculous amount for a 40 year old pitcher. Spend it on other upgrades.

glynch and scott_summers like this.
  3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Too much downside risk/$$$...Love him, and everything he's done, but spend some of that on a centerfielder. Glad he's in the NL.

glynch likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Some other teams are doing a 6-man sometimes, but they aren't really using it to reduce bullpen usage.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Is this JV specific or all/most TJS rehabbing pitchers?

Other pitchers were present during the covid restrictions

6. HTown2017Champs

Thank you VERY much for everything you did Verlander. You will be missed. Thank you for the memories, and thank you for not signing with the Yankees or the Dodgers. I still want you to pass Andy Pettitte in career playoff wins, the fewer Yankees that hold MLB records (especially postseason records), the better the world will be.
    Without Verlander, we lost the 2017 ALCS to the Yankees. After that he gave us 3 full seasons, won two Cy Youngs (and should have won it the year he didn't), threw a no-hitter, and continued to rack up career accolades. I hope to be able to attend the opener of the series against the Mets at home, he will get a much-deserved standing ovation, and I want to be part of it.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Not the best move to cut another head off our snake. They don't always grow back. We just let the reigning Cy Young winner go. I don't know how you do that, but it is what it is. We have to prove it won't matter.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

And Thank you JV. That was a fun ride!

raining threes likes this.
  9. scott_summers

scott_summers Member

Dude he's already paid. And he's different than most players in that his wife is worth as much or maybe more than him. Is that extra 20 million worth it? I'm not mad because it's his right. I just dont understand leaving a place that turned your career around. You could argue he had his best years here. To go to a place with no chemistry that just pays out the most money. Oh well. I had to get that off my chest. And anyone who wants to say all players get the most money. Jose Altuve and Ramirez took less to stay in a more comfortable situation.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. Qan

Qan Member

Lol is $20mil worth it? Ofc it's damn worth it...it's freaking $20,000,000!!

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Thanks JV wish you better luck than Cole.

12. HTown2017Champs

Far more professional than Cole. Maybe the fact that we won the WS in his FA year played a role in that, but Cole's "I'm not an employee of this organization" comments (while wearing a Boras hat) were very unprofessional and classless. I know losing Game 7 of the WS sucks but come on, act better than that. And technically, impending free agents do NOT cease to be "employees of the team" until the day after the WS ends, so his comments were factually inaccurate.

ROCKSS, Invisible Fan and Houstunna like this.
  13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Thanks for the memories JV! You were my favorite pitcher with the Astros and we won't forget those two WS rings you helped bring to Houston. Good luck during the regular season but sorry you won't be able to meet your former colleagues in the WS the next 2 years! If you are still capable, maybe you can come back to Houston in 3 years for 1 last go at a championship - Roger Clemons style.

14. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

He brought us two rings and gave great memories. This is a blessing in disguise. He will fall off tremendously over the life of this most likely 2 year and not 3 year contract. Good for him though. We will be just fine. Just like in when he was out for TJ.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I thought they would re-sign him since it was 2 years.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We know Altuve is a special beast

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

3rd year at $35 million included if he reaches 140 innings in year 2.

No Worries likes this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Love this lol.

13 in 33 and scott_summers like this.
  19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

This 100 ******* ****ing percent.

20. raining threes

Thanks for the good times JV.