1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Yep. Makes Brantley look like the more likely fit.

2/3rd LF 1/3rd DH for Yordan
    2/3rd DH 1/3rd LF for Brantley

No Worries likes this.
  2. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Yes and I think 6 man rotation had plenty to do with that. History says they'll try to get a vet and see if they can take him to another level.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Went to HS in Texas as well. There's some rationale to picking him up to play elder statesman and take part in a 6 man rotation.

4. HTown2017Champs

Bellinger can play all 3 OF positions, as well as 1B (Abreu can then DH on those days)

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he was talking about health when he said that Lance was half of a number 5 starter.

6. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Yea sure. I'm coming around to the idea. The Astros staff would have to overhaul him because he just plain sucked lately.

HTown2017Champs and edwardc like this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

~Nimmo is a terrible injury risk~

2022 673 PA 130 OPS+ 5.1 WAR
    2021 386 PA 131 OPS+ 3.6 WAR
    2020 225 PA 145 OPS+ 1.8 WAR 60 game season
    2019 254 PA 111 OPS+ 0.9 WAR
    2018 535 PA 148 OPS+ 4.6 WAR

In the last 5 years, Nimmo has averages 3.7 WAR per season, even while playing 80% of a full time role. What is the value of 3.7 WAR from a left handed CF with reasonable BB to SO ratios. (ps 2020 1.8 WAR is the equivalent of 4.9 WAR in a 162 game schedule)
    While crying about missing 20% of his games, nobody seems to think about Benintendi coming off hamate bone surgery.

#3827 Marshall Bryant, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Jeremy Williams likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but can Bellinger hit his weight anymore?

No Worries and edwardc like this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’m kind of thinking the same. Although, I kind of hate myself for it.

He was front and center talking so much ish about the Astros when he knows good and damn well what the Dodgers were doing.

Still, super versatile and if the Astros could get him on the cheap feeling like they could get him to bounce back I’d be open to it.

Radricky likes this.
  10. HTown2017Champs

The more I look into it, the more I think it has a lot to do with lingering injuries. In 2020 (short season, so small sample size, and less weight), his peripherals were great, just marred with bad luck. Then came the NLCS and WS - he hurt his shoulder on a home run swing in Game 7 against Atlanta, and aggravated it in the WS. Though he was mostly recovered by the time the regular season started, he fractured his left fibula early in the 2021 regular season on a freak collision, which appears to have affected his stance once he did return. He had somewhat of a resurgence in the playoffs (remember, the Dodgers suffered a lot of injuries so that kind of forced him back into an everyday role).
    Fast forward to 2022, and I seem to recall him getting in another freak collision. Case in point, if the medicals check out, he can stay healthy and conditioned well, a change in scenery plus a few adjustments could "fix" him. Worth a one year deal, IMO. If not, it's just one year and not a long-term albatross.

Nook likes this.
  11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I think free agent signings from here on for us would be low splash level only. The DH is the only spot available to start. Willson as DH/C/LF is as possible still.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I like the idea of signing a MoR type, like Odo a few years ago, as a fallback in the rotation and a possible inning eater. But I'd like to see someone signed who has more in the tank than Kluber. Someone they can maybe work their spin rate magic with. Kluber's upside is minimal.

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Seth Martinez may be that guy as well. I think he deserves a shot. Otherwise, not sure who the top rebound pitching candidates are. I think Kluber on a 1 year makes some sense, and a I agree having a veteran presence in the starting rotation is pretty important. Bring back Charlie Morton for chrissake!

SamCassell, No Worries and Madmanmetz like this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

I like Seth as a reliever but I'm not convinced he can start. If Heaney would take one year, $11M I would do it. I always felt he could be one of those guys for a while, but I think his work last year will up his price (though there may still be question marks about his durability, and whether or not his half season with the Dodgers was a fluke).

CisBuds4U likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

Say Alvarez plays 95 games in LF, and about 60 at DH.
    Abreu plays 100 at 1B, 55 at DH.
    Bellinger could play the other 62 games at 1B, 40 in CF, 35 in LF, and 15 at RF/DH.
    McCormick is the usual CF, plus some days playing LF (or even RF if Tucker is off)

That's how it would work if we sign Bellinger in terms of playing time distribution. Still about 40 DH days left to give to other regulars or call ups.

16. Yordan The Great

If we sign Vazquez, it needs to be 80/20 Vazquez.

I just got proof that Maldonado is a complete schmuck defensively. Which makes him essentially worthless I suppose.

Screw 50/50. If that's the case, don't sign him.

houstonstime likes this.
  17. Yordan The Great

Aside from the fact of what he said about our team regarding the scandal (and I still think it's really enough to NEVER sign the guy), but he is complete garbage as a player.

Why would you want that on your team?

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

So Bellinger replaces Dubon?

19. Yordan The Great

Now this option I like.

And it would be dirt cheap.

20. HTown2017Champs

That is my "assuming he reverts to about 110 OPS+." IF (and that is a BIG IF) we sign him, I am confident it would be with the front office believing he can be fixed, maybe not back to an MVP candidate, but a solid, 255/30 HR bat. As I said earlier, a few freak injuries may have likely played a role. Once again, that was me just laying out, if it happens, how the playing time could be spread out.