1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

I guess Maldy would never of been able to catch for the Braves then...because look at what Dustin means to the staff and the staff trusts him.

Nor would Maldy be able to catch for the Dodgers because look at the world series they won with Smith and the pitchers trust him.

Aaaand. Maldy wouldn't be able to catch for the Red Sox because they won the world series and look at how much Vasquez means to their pitchers and the pitchers trust him.

Maldy is what he is. A tremendously awful hitter, who is smart. Drops a crap ton of balls, is middle of the road defensively.

2. Yordan The Great

Curious as to why Kershaw keeps signing these deals with the Dodgers at way below market value.

No Worries likes this.
  3. Yordan The Great

I was hoping to hear he was conferring with Mark Lemongello.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. Yordan The Great

So that puts him about 15th in the league defensively.

Man I sure would like to know who the other 14 that are better than him are.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You could look at any of the defensive metrics lists for him, but you’d find more names above his than 15.
    He’s a minus framer (big time), he leads the league in passes balls, he is good at controlling the running game and allegedly good at calling a game, though amazingly enough the numbers for our pitchers were better with Vazquez than with him.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

7. conquistador#11

They have to go with the 6 man rotation again, right?
    Only Verlander disliked it and it helps with Lance's eccentric injuries. It also gets Brother Brown acquainted and good for Xavi too after carrying us last season.

“We’ve pitched very well this year, partly due to the six-man rotation and how the guys have been fresh more consistently, and I think that’s done good things for us.” -Miller-
    But you also need an extra SP just in case those eccentric pitching injuries happen flushing the toilet or something. Who will it be? The whispers of Abreu being moved to sp?. Guess we gonna have to wait.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. HTown2017Champs

As far as Contreras not being able to get up to speed with the staff, well, Vazquez settled in fine, at least with Urquidy and Javier, as well as the relievers. Speaking of Vazquez, I've heard rumors that the Astros are staying in communication with him. I'd be fine with that, TBH I prefer him to Contreras given the $$$ and familiarity. The more I look into it, I think what hurt Vazquez is how he had to adjust from everyday starter to once every 4 days. If he does come back, especially with no more JV, move to a more 50-50 split.

No Worries, Yordan The Great and Kim like this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Please read this folks. Alvarez in LF 65%-70% of the time. Please stop acting like he is the primary DH.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

Is this real? Bellinger (I'm high on him as a bounce-back) is versatile

Alvarez LF, Abreu DH, Bellinger 1B, McCormick CF
    Alvarez DH, Abreu 1B, Bellinger CF or LF, McCormick (the other one)
    Also opens up more options when Tucker gets the day off (Bellinger RF, Chas CF, and someone else in LF if Alvarez is DH'ing)

Also this may sound weird and petty but I would love a former Dodger in our batting lineup when we go to LA next year because the Dodgers fans' reactions would be priceless and must-see entertainment.

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

I can't believe I'm saying this but I've warmed to the idea of Bellinger.
    Assuming that the three remaining players from 2017 are cool with it.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love McCullers as others but too many are putting in faith that he will be healthy for the whole season. His track record proves otherwise.

But Law is out there.

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

They're professionals, they have thicker skin and skulls than the average person does. And as I've said many times, if this WAS going to be a problem then there would be zero chance of it happening and we wouldn't be connected to him.
    Besides, Bellinger healing, rebounding, and redeeming himself with the Astros would be (in addition to being good for our team) so sweet to see in Dodgers fans' faces after all the s*** they have given us. As a fan, that's what I like to see (in addition to the Astros winning).

Radricky likes this.
  15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

That's about 110 games give or take. That isn't going to inspire the FA left fielders to sign here. Brantley will be back for those other 50 plus games in the field if healthy.

16. Landry's Tooth

Not saying my first option, but if money gets crazy we should kick tires on Brandon Belt.

Coming off a bad season...

He's going to be a cheaper option at his age. He's a lefty bat. He can play 1B and LF. He's a local (Nacogdoches/UT). He has 2 rings and a lot of playoff experience...

Just thinking of a plan C for 2 years and around 25 million... he's a year removed from his best run as a player... maybe they can work with him. He does draw walks...

Yordan The Great likes this.
  17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

He needs to take the next step and cut his walks way down. Maybe that would get him deeper into games and lessen his stress. He is the number one reason we need a six man rotation.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And i still would look for another pitcher. The Astros were so lucky on the injury front when it came to pitching...

Yordan The Great likes this.
  19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Didn't GM Bagwell say 40-50% or 40-60% of the time? Either way it wasn't as high. I hope we still go after that lefty bat who can split duties with Alvarez in LF/DH and maybe back up the other outfield positions. Conforto, Beli, or Nimmo. Get it done.

20. HTown2017Champs

@Nook said the Astros were in communication with Kluber. If he can stay healthy he may be a solid MoR pitcher. He's past his prime and lost some velo but he still throws strikes and effectively gets batters out. At this point in his career I have a feeling he wants a chance at a ring more than anything. Maybe not my first choice but if he accepts $9M for a 1 year deal on a contending team in a low-tax state I'm fine.

Nook and CheezeyBoy22 like this.