1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander to the Mets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

And it's officially for another 43 million?

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It was pretty much inevitable that he was gone and of the contenders he could have gone to, this is the best option as an Astro fan. Don’t mind this at all.

Wulaw Horn, Hank McDowell and jim1961 like this.
  3. Yordan The Great

That's silly for them to have that much of an ego.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah.... ego

rockbox likes this.
  5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Yes, which correlates strongly with the competitiveness needed to reach the top 0.00001% of people who play a sport. Take a look at the top historical contracts in any sport and tell me whether the ego that demanded them would be helpful for your team winning a championship.

That isn’t to say the Astros should have paid JV - they shouldn’t have - but to denigrate players looking at contracts as a status symbol is to misunderstand what it takes for them to be those types of players in the first place.

BTW, the same is true for owners, which is why it was so obvious Steve Cohen would sign JV from the minute De Grom went elsewhere. He will get 2 more premium free agents too … just watch.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Did JV's ego keep him away from the team the entire 2021 season? He was nowhere to be found for months

IBTL likes this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Dude won 2 cy youngs and 2 world series titles with the Astros. Nothing negative should be said about him, he was incredible and i'm thrilled he was an Astro.

8. the shark

the shark Member

Would've had no problem with that amount on a two yr deal, but with a vesting 3rd yr option (which is smart) this would take away MAJOR $$ to try and resign Breggy and Altuve and to try and extend Framber, Javier, and Tuck.

So thanks JV for your contribution while here, but there's a good chance you'll be doing what Springer, Cole, and Correa have been doing each October/Nov and that's watching us in the World Series:D

ArtV likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its more than likely that Breggy/Altuve are doing what JV is doing in 2 years if they're still performing at a high level.

Its just how the sport goes... and the Astros are no different than most franchises in these decisions, nor is JV all that different from most other players. He did sign two separate deals here, and he ended up contributing big-time on three World Series teams, winning two of them, and winning 2 CYA. It was a win-win for both sides, including the lost TJ year.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I feel the same way about Verlander as I did when Correa and Springer left, go get your paper, your replacement is already on the roster.

lionaire and Hank McDowell like this.
  11. Qan

Qan Member

Except for Springer...still looking.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to CF specifically, sure, but I looked at it as Yordan coming up to replace Springer in the outfield and in the lineup.

Wulaw Horn and scott_summers like this.
  13. MystikArkitect

Looking forward to hitting 5 home runs off of him in Game 5 of the 2023 WS thus completing his Astros story arc.

Wulaw Horn and scott_summers like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lance can tip him off on how to get there...

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I appreciate what he did for the Astros, but I rather grow with Hunter Brown.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

hunter brown has to crack the starting rotation now...right?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He already did... but they'll still likely load manage his innings.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing the Astros go with bouncing between a 5-man and a 6-man rotation with someone going to pen before off days or taking a quick IL visit. Though, he did throw a combined 130 innings this year. I'd expect he would get 150-160 if he stays healthy with more if he's great.

Nick likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. I would like to see if they're on to something with this approach. Obviously you need the vast starting pitching depth they have to accomplish something like this, but if they can stave off over-use injuries and keep the bullpen usage down... and still obtain elite SP results, there will be more teams trying to emulate.

20. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

JV stayed away due to insurance reasons. Basically he couldn't be with the team and it was all insurance. Outside of that maybe there was more, but he had to establish his own trainer etc etc. I remember looking into this thinking the same thing.