1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. maypk

maypk Member

As i already said, you have provided enough information for me to judge your basketball knowledge. Good luck trying to find Chinese league streams in few years to watch your favorite player. Have a nice day.

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yet except for Warriors there was No champion spamming threes and almost every team had elite midrange „tHe WoRsT sHoT iN bAsKeTbAlL”. Btw rockets played their best with their pg shooting middies

3. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I see KPJ the same as I saw Wood last year - A very talented player but one that doesn't make the team better and is not a winning player. He sometimes plays like he doesn't care, is slow to get back on D after the whistle doesn't go his way, and more often than not makes boneheaded plays and lazy turnovers.

He has the handle, he has the shiftiness, athleticism and a nice shot, but he doesn't put it together for long enough to really make a difference. And that drives most of us fans crazy.

Look at that drive he had against Ayton, that's a perfect example of how capable he is to attack. But he does that once in a blue moon. He's also a much more dangerous player when he pushes the pace, but again, he doesn't do it enough.

He lacks the vision and doesn't have a good feel for when to push and attack, and when to settle down and let someone else create. He also constantly misreads cuts, overthrows lobs and generally is a step late reading the defense and reacting.

And despite some misconceptions some posters may have, I think that most of us that are advocating having a "PG" instead of KPJ starting, don't mean that We need a pure traditional PG. A combo guard is all We need, but a combo guard that is a playmaker, or one that understands when to attack and when to calm the guys down, and make the correct pass.

He's best suited as a sixt man, playing with Bruno and spamming pick and rolls and generally feasting on the opponent's second units. But the question is how would he handle that mentally. And our coach seems to be allergic to staggering KPJ/JG and mixing up lineups. We are losing anyway, it doesn't hurt to experiment a little. But then again, staggering them and playing the JG/Alp and KPJ/Bruno duo's more minutes may lead to us winning more games that the management would like this year, so I don't see that happening until March.

If We don't win the lottery, I hope We get Scoot Henderson, because then We will need to move KPJ to the bench, or atleast get the ball out of his hands.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Sengun could shoot a FT line extended shot, or a 3pter he could get a lot of wide open looks like Scola did with Rafer.

DD

Losmi_34 likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It seems you fail to understand the reason why being able to shoot the 3 would help Sengun fit with the starters. It's not about "spamming 3's", it's about spacing.

If defenses didn't have to respect Brook Lopez's shot, they'd leave him open and it would clog lanes for Giannis.

In the modern NBA you can't be a slow, below the rim big man that can't shoot. Right now that's what Sengun is and that's why he needs to develop a shot because he can't do anything about being a slow below the rim player.

6. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

Sengun needs to let it fly. I get mad when he starts jabbing at the 3pt line when left alone. That hinders his confidence, slows us down and allows the defense to reset. Just shoot it, it will start getting to the bottom of the net sooner than later.

#1726 Losmi_34, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The stats do not back up what you're saying.

Green and Sengun on, Garuba Fernando off: 114.6 ortg
    Green and Garuba on, Sengun Fernando off: 107.4 ortg
    Green and Fernando on, Sengun and Garuba off: 103.85 ortg
    Green on, all 3 centers off: 99.53 ortg

If you wanna talk net rating, or bring defense into the discussion, then you can try to make that point. But purely from an offense standpoint, Jalen Green is best with Alperen Sengun compared to any other center, or no center.

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Great post. Next time don’t wait for 87 pages.
    This should be a coaching decision, a very bad one indeed. He doesn’t shoot anything. It is a total waste of a developmental year in that respect.

Losmi_34 likes this.
  9. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

Appreciate it man! Thank you

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is going to the Chinese league?? I'm sure he can find a more competitive league than the Chinese League

11. maypk

maypk Member

I really wish i could say the same for kpj but there's no team in europe that is gonna pay him even 2 popsicles.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

The thing you dont understand is if your best offensive player dont shoot threes, the others have to and not sit him lol

Ankara1923 likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

3 day old accounts shtposting already? We have a new record!

jiggyfly and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

And how many minutes do those lineups pertain?
    Bruno played game 1 and 11 minutes of game 2....now he has come back after missing 15 games and just now getting in the swing of things.

Last time I looked at lineups:
    KPj/G4/Gordon/Bari/Sengun were at about 160 minutes while all others were under 45 minutes.

Now that Jabari guarded Ayton and did a good job; Silas should put a lineup of :
    KPj/G5/EG or Mathews/Kenyon/Jabari more often.

Forget about the Defense: just watch the ORtg climb.

Let Sengun go on vacation for a month like we did with Tate. Sunlight is the best sanitizer

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, really? 2 popsicles? Is that the best response you got?

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

What gets me is all the talk of how KPJ and Sengun do not mix. I dont think that's the case at all, it's just taking time. Like I said earlier, the LOB is an easy pass.

But if we all remember, it took CP3 and Capela over half a season to get the lob pass down. Clint was saying that Harden threw a different ball or threw it at a different trajectory. And CP3 is the POINT GOD and we're criticizing KPJ because he is having problems with a bounce pass, 20 games into a new season?

#1736 hlmbasketball, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  17. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Not every player can learn every position how much does that need to be said for you to get that? "he's talented" he's not a talented point guard though and we are playing him at point guard. He doesnt do basic things that you look at a player and go "lets train him to be a point guard!" Thats the issue. Its not just arbitrary KPJ hate, theres a reason behind what people are saying about him. In order to defend him though you have to generalize and you have to boil things down to where everything means nothing. You have deal in extremes. If someone wants him to shoot better "Oh you expect him to be steph curry" If someone wants him to make better decisions 'oh ya'll want him to be cp3" "ya cant please everyone" lol Its ridiculous and I think you know that. Most people who try to defend KPJ post like trolls because thats the only way to defend him.

clutchdabear and maypk like this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jalen + Sengun is 429 minutes
    Jalen + Usman is 184 minutes
    Jalen + Fernando is 75 minutes
    Jalen without a center is 99 minutes

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You said he doesn't do basic things that lead you to believe he can not be a good PG, OK what are those things?

20. maypk

maypk Member

Well said sir.

Joe Rocket likes this.