1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Mets are paying their top two starters (Verlander and Scherzer) $87,000,000 this season.

Those 2 players are more expensive than the entire payroll of 8 MLB teams last year.

Verlander and Scherzer combined are going to be 77 years old when the season starts.

The Mets are expected to have a payroll well north of 300 million next season and they are still linked to a number of high cost free agents, including Carlos Rodon, Brandon Nimmo, Mike Conforto and others.

cdastros, Joshfast and Marteen like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I am not sure what this is all about. If they wanted a SS, they should have targeted Correa then, he is a vastly better defender and would fit their team better. Not to mention, I am not sure why they always insist on targeting guys on long term deals. This is just a really bad fit.

They dropped huge money on Harper and Wheeler and that has worked out.... but the other ones really haven't. Last year they dropped huge money on a couple of terrible defenders that strikeout too much. This year it is a SS that relies on speed for offense and defense.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

I wasn’t suggesting that all of those guys would be on the roster. For example, if you sign Benintendi, I assume Brantley is out. I also don’t think both of Meyers and Leon would be rostered.

The ultimate roster would probably look like:

2B Altuve
    SS Peña
    DH Yordan
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu
    LF Benintendi
    CF McCormick
    C Maldy

Bench:

C: Lee OR Y Diaz OR Free Agent
    OF: Meyers OR Leon
    INF: A Diaz
    INF/OF: Free Agent

The Beard likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dombrowski going to Dombrowski. He's pretty much spent his way out of every job he's had.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude where did you get that I am obsessed?

I made exactly 1 comment on what I thought, how is that obsessed?

Yes it's presumptive but you are also being presumptive because neither of us actually knows how their minds were made up but for some reason my reasons bothered you, why is that?

Nobody said that Kate was dying to leave Houston or that she no longer wanted to be here, so I don't know what she's saying he chose the right team has to do with anything.

You are the one that seems obsessed by all of this, not me.

Rich people live different places year round, who knew?:rolleyes:

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet they'll still turn a major operating revenue profit for the year... these teams aren't losing money. Even the small market teams are making a **** ton more than they're letting on...

Nook likes this.
  7. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

guess these teams have not learned that 10 year deals just don't work out very well

chievous minniefield likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ok... whatever you need to do.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What lightning?

We dominated the playoffs and have made 3 out of the last WS's that's not lightning striking are you actually trying to say that Contreras or somebody like him is the difference in those WS's?

We have made improvements and are looking to make more, which further strengthens the fact that we don't need to make minimal upgrades to hitting from the catcher.

#3749 jiggyfly, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did what I needed to do in my 1st post, but for some reason you got all caught up.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Alright then. Hope it was satisfying...

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is easy to spend somebody else's money, and another team is seemingly always ready to hire him.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Well, yeah, it is reflected in the selling price for these teams. Consider how seldom that the lower value franchises are sold, why is that? Someone is making a lot of money. Honestly, the only time that we really see franchises for sale are when someone that owns a team makes really bad investments outside of the team and has to liquidate the team, when there is a divorce or sometimes when an owner is old and wants to get his assets in a position to liquidate when he dies.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For their entirety, no... but they're not looking at them like that. They're looking to just win at least one WS to justify it. Teams that offer these deals can afford the expected down years, hence why ownership allows them.

That being said, the Turner deal is a massive overpay that only gets allowed because of the Phillies getting hot at the right time in an expanded playoffs.

15. right1

right1 Member

With JV gone that is one less starter who will require Maldy as his personal Catcher. I think the next move might be for Vázquez or Contreras. Did someone say something about Crane being concerned about Willson's clubhouse presence?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it would be a big mistake for the Astros to fail to pick up Contreras.

J_Hunter_1977 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I even see those options no longer really justifying selling a team, unless the owner really just doesn't want him or his family to be a part of it... the internet revenue, streaming revenue, continued TV revenue and unlimited advertising/licensing revenue has opened plenty more reasons to own a sports team, vs. traditional "attendance/merchandise" that once made up the bulk of a team's finances.

I once thought Crane would likely sell when this run was about up... but they've barely scratched the surface of re-devloping the land they own around MMP, and just when that gets optimized... it will be time to possibly build a new ballpark in private land area where they can control even more of the profits.

The Beard and Nook like this.
  18. Yordan The Great

The Abreu signing is looking better and better every minute.

19. mustang98

mustang98 Member

Wonder if the Astros could be the mystery team involved on Aaron Judge. MLB Network just mentioned a mystery team.

Marshall Bryant and pariah like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would be hilarious, but I highly, highly doubt it.

mustang98 likes this.