1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

140 innings in 2024 gets him 35 million in 2025.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  2. Jeremy Williams

b
    I'm happy for Hunter Brown. If there is any comparison to Pena this year, it is Brown. No need for another SP.

mightybosstone likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

she wasn't just sitting around Houston milking cows and watching tumbleweeds...

CF has a complex with thinking everybody leaves Houston due to their spouses desires for big city life, lol. People were already ear-marking the Correa's for NYC back in 2016.

They've already moved from LA to Florida. They spend time in N Michigan as well. Yes, they'll have to spend time in NYC but its not like this was the goal all along.... there were really only 3 markets in position to make a move for him and two of them were the biggest markets.

YOLO likes this.
  4. Jeremy Williams

I'm right there too.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Let's see what happens with Rodon now.

whiskeyred likes this.
  6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Regarding the Astros???

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't like Benitendi with no power before his hamate injury.

He is essentially the same risk as Brantley for 4X the price and commitment or more.

Better fielder but much fewer intangibles

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

haven't looked but how deep of a rotation they run out there? i assume he will be pitching more than he did here in Houston

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you noticed, those were the exceptions I listed, the reason not to waste 43 million dollars a year on a 40 year old pitcher is the entire history of the game along with the fact that while his regular season was stellar, he already had nothing left by the playoffs.

It's fairly likely that this past season was one final fluke season before the inevitable victory by father time.

And that's not even taking into consideration the pitching already on the Astros and how that money could be better used.

There really was no reason for the Astros to ever even consider bringing Verlander back at that kind of price.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Didn’t realize Nimmo had a QO. I think I lean towards Benintendi for that reason. That also leaves CF open for McCormick and Leon.

So my ideal remaining moves for this offseason are Benintendi and a Tucker extension.

11. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Spend like there is no tomorrow Crane!!!! :D

#3691 J_Hunter_1977, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes. He is one of the players the Astros made an offer to. No idea what it is or how competitive it is.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nobody said she was just sitting around Houston and had nothing to do, she is a fashion model and lived in NY a lot of her life once she made it so I am sure thats the comfortable place for her to be based in.

I'm sure most of her friends are there and sorry to break this to you but its alot more to do day to day in NYC than Houston I love Houston and moved back to Texas from the East Coast, but If I was younger or had that kind of money I would much rather be in a city like that.

Some of you need to stop acting like this is a dig at Houston its not I am just stating the facts NYC is a much more dynamic and glamorous place to be and unlike Correa the Verlander's had a choice at the money they wanted, Correa is more worried about money than anything else and yes I bet if all things are equal he would probably sign with a NY team.

Calm down my guy this was not a swipe at Houston just telling it like it is I bet she was pushing to get back to that area, I could be wrong, but you could certainly be as well.

14. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

@Nook If you had to bet money on it, who are two players you think we sign?

15. mightybosstone

Yeah, the Astros have 6 at least league average (most easily above average) starter arms going into the season. Just my take, but using a huge chunk of that Verlander money on another starter seems like a misjudgment. Maybe another bullpen arm (a lefty would be nice), but another starter just seems like a waste when there have other holes in the lineup to address. Maybe you add a low-cost guy who could be an innings eater and potential fill-in starter out of the pen, but I'd stay away from Rodon and the big names here.

16. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Doesn’t Rodon want years? As in five or six?

17. Nook

Nook Member

From what I understand, the decision to leave was made by Verlander and not his wife. He is very much a mercenary. I am sure pitching in a large stage and in the NL were of interest to him, but money is a very very large motivator for him. Verlander will have made $450,000,000 when his contract with the Mets is up and that doesn't include bonuses and endorsements. He is going to go down as the highest earning or second highest earning baseball player in history.

18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

4 yrs 60 mil for Benintendi ($15 AAV)
    2yrs 40 mil for Bassitt or Eovaldi ($20 AAV)
    1 yr 6 mil for Gurriel ($6 AAV)

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just think you're a tad obsessed and presumptive on how these decisions are actually made...

Also, if you look at where they actually live year-round, you'd realize that they're actually not spending all their time jet-setting and big city living (unless you count their time in Detroit/Michigan that they still spend time in).

I don't take it as a dig at Houston... but Kate has been more than vocal on how JV chose the "right" team when it came to Houston. She's not making these decisions, lol.

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Brown havent pitched a full season yet, so it's safe to get a backup/insurance starting pitcher. Also you never know if any starting pitcher will miss significant time due to injury