1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QB or NOT QB.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

2. raining threes

Love your optimism.

If things really worked that way life would be grand.

What FA's are going to want to come to Houston that are difference makers?

They are still going to be 4-13 bad next year.

There's no speeding up the timeline for the draft picks even if you add some guys in FA.

3. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

It’s optimism to look at the assets that can be added and predict that we’ll end up in the 23-29 range of teams?

Seems quite realistic to bump up a few spots. It’s extremely rare for the same team to have the number 1 pick twice in a row in the nfl. Hell our team had the 3rd pick last year even though we probably had the worst team.

houston19519 likes this.
  4. raining threes

They will be one of the 2 worst teams again next yr.

5. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Colts, Bears, Denver, Titans.. all winnable games this year.. And the season is not over yet. So if you build up the defense through the draft and free agency while also finding a few weapons on offense. I Just don’t see this team being a top 2 worst teams in football.. If they won a few of those games this year they would be picking out of the top 5 regardless of being a bad team.

6. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

The ones that like big fat checks.
    You get a couple of big names here and more will come. And if you hit on a couple of home runs in the draft and suddenly become a .550 team, more will come.

7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

There’s no arguing logic with people that want Caleb Williams or Drake Maye no matter how unlikely it is.

houston19519 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There’s an argument, I like Young-a lot.
    But there’s no getting around his size.
    I love everything about the kid except his size.

He’s got accuracy, poise, a little wiggle, off script ability, processing, a good family background and well spoken, smart and huge college success.

Every intangible screams superstar. But the main tangible factor-size-is a big red flag for me.
    I would be excited if we drafted him, if we got a better OC and gave him weapons.
    I also wouldn’t mind drafting defense heavy this year and going after Williams/Maye next season.

9. body slam

body slam Member

I'm to the point I'd be happy with the Texans taking a swing with Nathan Rourke from the CFL and drafting Hendon Hooker.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If they signed Rourke, I wouldn't draft a QB.

11. conquistador#11

He looks ready.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im not so hung up on the player(s) specifically if not more with the focus on order of importance. We cant keep these coaches around and pretend they are the best to develop and create a winning culture. That should be the first move - fire Lovie and Pep and then I can start to go along with drafting a QB with a new coaching staff to at least offer a sliver of hope. Drafting Young to pretend that he would work well with this antiquated and out of touch coaching staff is wack and really insults fan intelligence.

Im here ---- Williams, Young, Maye, Stroud, Levis, Hooker, Ewers of guys who I think could be options over the next 2 seasons (BUT ONLY WITH NEW COACHING!)

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think it’s pretty evident that we have to get rid of Lovie and Pep.
    Sucks, much like Silas, I like them as people but man are they bad at adjusting for what they have and developing.

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. a time to chill

Caserio should bring in Baker Mayfield. If he doesn't we know for sure he's deliberately tanking.

15. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Mayfield has been just as bad as the qbs we have and, in some ways, worse. No more failed retreads.

16. a time to chill

Just bring him in for the rest of the season to keep things interesting. We're still drafting a QB with the first pick. Mayfield can't be much worse than Mills or Allen. Also, it could allow us to properly evaluate the rest of the offense. That was the reason for benching Mills for Allen. I don't want to see Mills at QB again.

charlieaustin likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he'll be any better, but it's worth a shot. We've seen enough of the scrubs we have and the Texans aren't going to start winning no matter what

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Caleb Williams is my favorite prospect but I think you just can't go into next year without at least a QB to build some excitement around. Pretty crazy that next year we will likely be one of the worst teams in the NFL for the FOURTH consecutive year. New coaching staff with an improved roster and QB of the future is a good starting point to build some momentum into '23 and beyond.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

raining threes likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

If the worst team in the league doesn't pick him up, and a 49ers team (down to their 3rd-string QB who was Mr. Irrelevant in the most recent draft) doesn't pick him up, Mayfield might actually be done as an NFL player.

raining threes likes this.