1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL KPJ is not a "potential all star SG", sorry DD.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This is the irony in a nutshell.

[​IMG]

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Westbrick is called westbrick for a reason and it's not bc of being efficient

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think the point was is he considered a PG, not his efficiency. However, people continue to focus on KPJ because he's the primary ball handler. When things go right, others get the credit, when things go wrong he gets the blame.

Below is a good analysis. KPJ makes the excellent pass inside to Sengun, Sengun then makes another excellent pass to KJ for the slam but who gets ALL the credit....Sengun!

When it should have been...EXCELLENT PASSING by KPJ and Sengun, correct?

DaDakota likes this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He was 20/3/6....he saw something

6. i3artow i3aller

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

We can have a clue about whether he is going to be a decent (or excellent as you said, which I see extremely unlikely) player or not, when he has a decent coach. He needs to be held accountable and then we can see whether he learns from mistakes or not. Right now, he keeps on doing the same wrong things

1) frequently quits playing, after missing a shot, after not getting a call, at a random time on defense
    2) drives to the basket to make the defense collapse on him, but does not pass, or even look at the open players, instead takes a heavily contested shot
    3) does not improve on any type of shooting
    4) Has trouble adjusting the speed and height of his passes
    5) dribble, dribble, dribble, has difficulty in moving the ball

I don't see how he will improve on this houston team, without being accountable for any mistake. I agree with @Joe Rocket that this hinders other players development, though I would mainly put the blame on Silas (and the organization), not kpj

I like your positivity though.

King1 and clutchdabear like this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Oh we can add turnovers to number one, a result of general lack of focus and bad handles.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. maypk

maypk Member

If KPJ is a potential all star, so am i.

King1, clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  11. maypk

maypk Member

Maybe KPJ would get some credit if he could make this pass more than once in a game.

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he got a higher chance of ending up in an insane asylum

King1, Reeko, clutchdabear and 3 others like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one here, can honestly say what he will be when fully developed as he is 22 years old and 14 months playing a new position. Give him until 25 before we really know the trajectory.

Young guys make dumb mistakes, and over time they get fewer and fewer.....generally speaking....

Our entire team makes dumb plays, Sengun passes through his legs to the other team, Green dribbles off his own foot when pressured....Eason can't finish a layup, Garuba is afraid to shoot, EGo doesn't move at all on either end, Jabari is as stiff as a board and can't dribble....

Yet, all we ****ING hear about is KPJ...KPJ...KPJ ....when he is doing exactly what the coach wants him to do....

My point is that he and the entire team is young, and that people are treating him unfairly because they have some stupid myopic vision of what a PG should be....it is their own small minded bias and confirmation bias by other small minded biased people that cause a group mentality of ...KPJ Sucks.

And, he might, but not at 22, with a coach that is directing what he should do....

Hell you literally see people micro analyzing him because he doesn't make EVERY ****ING PASS to their favorite player.....Oh, he never passes to Sengun (Bullshit) or he doesn't see Jabari in the corner (more crap) or why is he even shooting the ball....EVER....it is mind numbingly biased and flat out wrong - he is making decisions are they all perfect? No, but he is a COMBO guard who is going to shoot 12-15 times a game, and that is NOT ball hogging it is what his task is....

I would like to see the ENTIRE TEAM with a coach that has accountability and a proper share the ball system....before I make up my mind.....

Shockingly, I am not sold on ANYONE on this team - yet......I see promise in all of them.......but not without a coach.

I am just tired of the NIMRODS blaming one guy who is doing what his coach wants.

And I am tired of folks speaking in absolutes or comparing these guys to guys with FULL CAREERS behind them....let them develop FFS.

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. maypk

maypk Member

If this is the way we evaluate players, Nix is a potential all-star too. In my opinion, Kevin Porter JR. is overglorified Collin Sexton. I think he has absolutely 0 chance of being an all star and i don't think he'll be in the league in 3 years.

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Assist%
    TO%
    TS% (Shooting efficiency)

Everyone of these aspects is important for a primary play maker and KPJ has yet improved on any of them.

Basically it comes down to decision making and understanding of the team game. He has some innate talent that is instinctive to him, which is good. But the ability of seeing how an overall play develops on court isn't in him. We haven't seen him do any better since he was the designated primary play maker more than a year ago. But the coaching staff seem to be determined to push this experiment onward.

I've said this many times in this back and forth debate about KPJ. Only a handful of people here really hate KPJ or want to see him fail. We are just tired of seeing the insistence of this direction when it is clear that it has no future. They should start trying something that has more upside and move KPJ to a role that he is good at. We don't have a lot of time left for experimenting. Scrap the failed experiment and start doing something more promising.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

1. KPJ is not a potential all star. LOL. Green, yes. KPJ, no.

2. I believe KPJ is an SG, but not necessarily “my” SG. His future with the ROX is still uncertain, proved by the non-guaranteed portions of his extension.

3. Given we have no better PG options right now, I’d rather move Green to the PG position. If nothing else, at least it’ll expand his game more which could be invaluable down the road. That first quarter when KPJ missed a game was the best team basketball I’ve seen from the Rox in years. Just beautiful basketball all around. I don’t know about you, but I’d like to see more of that.

17. DaDakota

That is not on KPJ that is 100% on the coach and on that we all agree, I refuse to make my mind up about KPJ as I think the coach is hanging him out to dry with his....just go to the hole and beat your man ISOing approach.

Give KPJ structure like GS has and have him off the ball more and this 2 combo guard lineup can work.

But until I see that I am not going to participate in the DEVELOPING PLAYER X sucks.....because it isn't their fault.

The best the Rox have played was the first half of the first Denver game which had Sengun as a hub and KPJ and Green as wings it was awesome - but again under pressure young players revert to what is most comfortable it is up to the coach to yank em out EXPLAIN that we are running a system and put them back in.

This is all on the coaching or lack therof.

As for whether KPJ is a potential All star, that is my opinion - you can feel differently - but Curry, Lebron and Kevin Love and numerous other NBA players have singled out KPJ for his talent.....I believe they know more ball than ANYONE posting here, or on Twitter. But that's just me.

DD

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. The difference between Curry and KPJ isn't just that Curry is efficient. I feel like I don't even need to say that. This isn't really about shooting, it's about vision and understanding defenses.

Curry and Harden understood these things at 22. So does Green. So does Alp. That enabled them to grow.

KPJ does not.

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. DaDakota

If KPJ could shoot like Curry people here wouldn't be b****ing in spite of all the turnovers - that Curry also has.....

KPJ just needs to shoot better and cleanup a little bit of turnovers to switch this BS narrative around...and people won't even understand why they are suddenly ok with 4 turnovers....

DD

20. i3artow i3aller

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas

[​IMG]

Reeko, maypk and AlperenSengun like this.